Cam Chain n Tensioner

  • Gary Gavin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2012
      The off subject post about the cam chain reminded me of a post John
      Fitzwater from Thunderbike.co.nz had sent re: another off subject post
      about Gearbox problems.

      >>Just saw this post and thought I'd throw my $0.02 in... Might help
      someone.

      While the T3 engine is bloody strong, and capable of big miles, the cam
      chain tensioner is not - it's only reliably good for about 30,000km or
      18000 miles in our experience. I've seen more T3 engines damaged by broken
      cam chain tensioner blades than by any other cause - the tensioner fails,
      the cam chain runs loose, flaps against the aluminium block adding
      aluminium to the oil - a perfect grinding paste - it totals the crank,
      pistons, oil pump if not picked up - and it's sometimes difficult to pickup
      over the normal timing gear clatter. We ran a lot of T3s and T4s in our
      motorcycle tour fleet for years, and also have the experience of being a
      Triumph dealer since '94. We always advise clients to replace the tensioner
      blades at the mileage I've given above.

      Hope this helps...

      Best to all,

      John Fitzwater<<
      I have not experience dealing with checking the cam chain or the tensioner.
      In fact, I'm guilty of not checking it at all and at 115k miles I should
      figure out how to do this. Anyway, hope the Fitzwater insight is helpful.

      --
      Gare'
      98 TBS