Canadian Maritimes routes, gear recommendations?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2012
      I've decided I want to do the Canadian Maritimes this Spring and I'm looking for suggestions. My guess is what I want to take in is Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI, but I want to take my time and I'm only allocating 2-3 weeks for the whole thing. Ideally I'll end by coming back through Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, dropping back into New York somewhere around Ticonderoga. Anybody have suggestions as to routes to take, things to make sure I see, etc?

      Also can't help but note that virtually all of my gear is getting pretty old, so...

      I'll grab a new 3/4 helmet, one *without* an American flag pattern on it. No point in wearing something that screams "hassle me" to both the populace and the local provincial police. Any recommendations for the under $200 crowd?

      I'll also be looking for a new set of BMW Gore-tex boots. The ones I have now really were waterproof for about 10 years until the stitching started to give out, so I'm just looking to replace them. Anybody know where to get a good price on these?

      And finally...I've got a First Gear riding suit which does a good job at waterproof and comfort in general, but is way too bulky. I suspect strongly I could get away with a lot less. Anybody got any recommendations for rain kit? I'm looking for 100% waterproof and reasonably compact storage. And I would rather not spend any more than I have to on it as I generally avoid riding in the rain.

      Thanks for any help you guys can give.

      Peter
    • jim mcgrath

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2012
          Jim; I've worn the same set of Frog Togs for years. They keep me dry and are
          able to take up less room than you'd believe when stowed. Highly recommended.
          Jim Reno

          ________________________________
          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2012
            Myself I like a full face helmet.  I ride all of the time in Alaska when it is raining and it sure makes a difference. From: jim mcgrath <jimmsd@...>
            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

              To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2012
                Agreed. I went full face ARAI and won't ride without....couldn't see wearing open helmet at 130 LOL
                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                From: connorblk@...
                Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 13:16:49 -0700

                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 25, 2012
                  Jim; I'll add they are a little strange looking or styles offered 7 years ago.
                  May be better now. I just Googled Frog Togs and ordered online. Be Safe Jim,
                  Reno

                  ________________________________
                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 25, 2012
                    > couldn't see wearing open helmet at 130 LOL

                    Hey...it works...just be extra careful about your head position if you've got a flip up shield. ;)

                    > Myself I like a full face helmet. I ride all of the time in
                    > Alaska when it is raining and it sure makes a difference.

                    I've got one...just can't stand it for long rides. I know...I'm weird...I'm the only guy I know who used to pop the fairing off his BMW so he could enjoy the ride more. :)

                    > Get the cheapest rain suit but make sure it has a hood. Trio
                    > of Trumps in rain storm crusin thru Texas, one had hoodie,
                    > other two had rain running down their necks. Sounds like a
                    > great trip.

                    Thanks for the advice on that. It's going to be that or...

                    I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just stay with the First Gear and use it all the time. My major complaints with it are the bulkiness and the fact that the armor is soft armor. Maybe I'll just use that and my Gerbing's heated jacket and pants liners to keep me warm. I'm planning on going about mid May. Overheating shouldn't be a problem anyway.

                    Thanks for all the help, guys!