Suspension Rebuild?

  • Todd Luchette
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
      I have over 55K miles on my 98tbs. My question is about what I should be looking for and what my options are. Dealer rebuild, aftermarket upgrades, etc.

      Thanks,

      Todd
    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
        I installed a Hagon unit when the hose on the OE unit ruptured. That may
        have been 50k or so ago. I've intended to have the OE unit repaired but
        never got around to it. The Hagon unit works fine but I missed the
        adjustments of the OE. And, I'm not sure if the Hagon needs rebuilding at
        this time. The suspension on the TBS is so much better than my commuter
        bike that I'm not sure if the plush ride is getting too plush!

        For the money the Hagon is a quick fix. IMHO a rebuild of the OE would be
        the next cost effective move. After that it's how deep are your pockets.
        If they are deep enough you might get Ohlins to produce the unit for the
        TBS again. Owners that have gotten Penske units have been pleased as well.
        --
        Gare
        98 TBS

      • Mario Zarnich
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2012
          Cam chain replacement, before it breaks and makes you very sad.

          Oh, suspension...

          Your stock shock's damping is likely long gone by now. I think there are
          (or were) some guys that did oem rebuilds on them, short of that a
          penske is good buy (through Traxxion Dynamics or Lindeman...). Cheaper
          than ohlins and you'll get one sprung and damped to suit your
          weight/riding style not a generic off-the-shelf setup like with
          ohlins.... Hagon are decent similar-to-stock perfomance 'replacement'
          item and good value if thats what you want. They're not an upgrade like a
          penske would be.

          Forks surely could benefit from a rebuild by now. New bushings and oil,
          might as well replace the seals while at it. Possibly you'll want a
          little thicker oil and less air gap, maybe even firmer springs...depends
          what your riding style and preferences... are, it's impossible to offer
          good recommendations without knowing that stuff in detail.

          Talking in detail to good people at a place like traxxion is a good place to start.

          Mario

          Speed Freak's Performance Motorcycles
          Atlanta's European Bike Night (EBN)

        • Todd Luchette
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2012
            Interesting, this is the first I've heard about the cam chain. I'll look into that. I think I'll call traxxion too.

            Thanks

          • bjoba@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012
              Gare,

              The OEM Showa unit is totally rebuild-able. Contact Rick of Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC (just south of Asheville). The guy is a suspension guru. I just bought at 2004 TBS with 900 miles on it, and one of the first things I did is take it to Cogent Dynamics. He set up the sag, compression, and rebound damping in the forks and shock. He also recommended a heavier rear spring as my 1st priority.

              He's pretty busy this time of year, but give him a shout at motocd.com. I think you'll be very happy. He's set up at least three of my bikes as well as several friends from NY.

              Bruce