RE: [T TBS R] Re: BAD ALTERNATOR?

  • KEITH REGELIN
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2012
      Gary, Jim, et all, thanks for all the help! I pulled out the brushes, one was at the end of it's service limit, but still making contact w/ the commutator. I have the Haynes manual luckily. I wish I would have looked there first, instead of my digital copy of the factory service manual. I called the local dealer, he referred me to a guy that repairs these for them. I pulled the alt. out and it is being repaired. Thanks again, Keith

      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
      From: gary.l.gavin@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:07:55 -0500
      Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: BAD ALTERNATOR?

      Tiger riders report replacing a regulator/rectifier and/or stator on low or

      non performing alternators. Don't have any further details as you mention

      there is nothing in the official service manual. The Haynes service and

      repair manual has a section on removal and testing alternator components.

      Alternator output reading at the battery terminals should be 13.5 volts or

      a little higher. Tiger riders who bypass the wiring loom with a direct

      connection to the battery are getting 14 volts or more. Tried searching for

      the instructions, it's known as the Sasquatch mod in the forums.

      They also mention being able to get parts from

      http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

      Hope this helps.

      Gare

      98 TBS

      Sanford, NC

    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
        Keith,
        Thanks for asking that question. Now I'm wondering what the condition of
        my brushes are?

        Gare
        98 TBS
        Sanford, NC

      • James Tennier
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2012
          Keith; Really glad it worked out for you. Lesson here is alternator brushes may
          be suspect around (50,000) miles. Now, I too know this. Thanks... Jim T Reno