Chain and Sprockets

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
      What are you guys using for chains and sprockets these days and where are you getting them from?

      The yellow beast needs a new set and the guy who's doing it (local Honda dealer...good man though...still has a John Player Norton mounted on his overhead shelf) can't find anything other than Triumph OE.
    • mikepadgett2002
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
        Peter:

        I installed an RK 530x114 X-Ring Chain (P/N 2405-162) on my '98 TBS in July, 2010. Been very happy with it.

        After taking delivery of the RK chain and comparing with the one a Triumph dealer installed about 10,000 miles prior, I noticed a distinct difference in the size of the side plates of the 2 chains. The side plates of the chain the Triumph dealer installed were smaller although the chain specs were the same. The chain which the dealer installed stretched over the course of 10,000 miles to the point that it wasn't usable. I assumed it was OEM.

        I got the RK chain from www.oldbikebarn.com at a cost of $120.95.

        Make sure you have a chain tool to install it.

        -Mike P.

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > What are you guys using for chains and sprockets these days and where are you getting them from?
        >
        > The yellow beast needs a new set and the guy who's doing it (local Honda dealer...good man though...still has a John Player Norton mounted on his overhead shelf) can't find anything other than Triumph OE.

      • Gary Gavin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
          Purchased my last chain DID 530VM from Sprocket Center (
          http://www.sprocketcenter.com/) along with a RK Pro chain tool. Man that
          tool is handy. I must have 80k or more miles on an AFAM rear steel sprocket
          which I though of replacing but can't seem to find anyone advertising them.
          I guess alloy is where it's at there. Sprocket Center has AFAM front
          sprockets and other brands (maybe house) steel. Service was great, arrived
          in about a week.

          --
          Gare
          98 TBS

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
            Thanks, guys! I've got a set on the way.