Re: Fork & Shock Adjustments

    Message 1 of 17 , May 28, 2011
      Thanks a million, Gary!
      Message 2 of 17 , May 28, 2011
        > Standard settings are:
        > Front
        > Spring Pre-load = 6
        > Rebound Damping = 4
        > Compression Damping = 4
        > Rear
        > Rebound Damping = 6
        > Compression Damping = 6

        Can I get pushy and ask you how much thread you've got showing on your shock preload? Mine's cranked all the way down.
      • Gary Gavin
        Message 3 of 17 , May 31, 2011
          Well, I had to replace my OE shock with a Hagon unit when the hose to the
          remote split. I saved the OE shock but in the multiple moves it's MIA at
          the moment. Thought it would show up as the boxes are emptied, but not yet.
          When it shows up will post the measurement. If you got the info from
          somewhere else please share.

          --
          Gare
          98 TBS

        • Gary Gavin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
            Found my OE shock minutes ago. The top of the first lock ring is 1 1/8"
            from the top most thread on the body. Hope this helps.

            --
            Gare

          • Mo
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
              Like all of us (or most), I buy that motorcycle degreaser...S100, Motul Bike
              Wash etc for about ten or fifteen dollars a bottle...Today at walmart, I was
              looking at their wheel and tire cleaners...there was one, A2Z All Wheel and Tire
              Cleaner that said it was good for all wheels...Aluminum, mag, painted, anodized,
              clear coated etc, for about 4 dollars...I smelled it in the store, and it
              smelled just like S100...long story short, I bought a jug and the stuff is
              amazing...maybe even a little better then the usual ones. It sprays on in a more
              foamy way, so it doesn't run off like the others, and hoses away with ease.
              There was no sign at all of any discoloration or etching of any parts I used it
              on.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                Hi Gary,

                Sorry to hear about your missing shock.

                Setting the front forks back to stock turned out to be a very good starting point. The damping's spot on. The preload's a little soft, but I'm guessing that's because it was set so high for so long (spring sag). My guess is that I'll wind up at just a turn or two more on the preload and be done.

                The rear shock...full preload is a touch excessive, but it's not bad enough to warrant changing it. I'll trade a little stiffness for the cornering clearance it gives me. Having played with the preload on my LegendTT, I'd guess that "perfect" for me (6', 210lb) on this shock would be about 1/2" of thread showing.

                Peter
              • KEITH REGELIN

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                    Geez, you are right!!! I will call them tomorrow and find out why not
                    though....and report back.

                    Thanks!!!
                    16EFE88F4

                    ________________________________

                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                        wait til tomorrow...I want to see what they say...maybe they just make a more
                        expensive cleaner thats for bikes..
                        16EFE88F4

                        ________________________________

                        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 16, 2011
                            I talked to one of the product specialists at Eagle One, about their All Wheel
                            and Tire Wash.What he said was that some motorcycle wheels are not finished the
                            same as automotive wheels and this cleaner might damage the finish. He told me
                            specifically, that they tested a Harley Davidson spoked rim, and it turned all
                            the spokes almost black. (not going to make an anti harley remark here and start
                            a war). He also said that any damage to the finish of a wheel would be
                            noticeable pretty much instantly. I didn't have any trouble on the Sprint
                            wheels, apparantly they have a "normal" automotive clearcoat. He did offer one
                            caution though, he said when this stuff gets on a tire, it will leave a small
                            residue which would be slippery...this residue wears quickly, so just ease into
                            that first twisty with a bit of restraint.

                            I'm curious if this stuff would discolor the spoked wheel of a TBS. Black spokes
                            would look cool though, huh? So now we know...certain things can't be used on
                            motorcycles because of Harleys....
                            16EFE88F4

                            ________________________________

                            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                            From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 18, 2011
                              > So now we know...certain things can't be used on
                              > motorcycles because of Harleys....

                              I knew you couldn't resist! :)
                            • KEITH REGELIN

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 18, 2011
                                  Ive got a Triumph Spring...allow rims. I joined this group when I had a TBS, and still come here to read...

                                  16EFE88F4

                                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>