Fork & Shock Adjustments

    Message 1 of 17 , May 28, 2011
      So now that everything's running again I've decided that, after a piddling 10 years, it's time for me to setup the suspension on the yellow beast properly (it's always been screwed up). Which of course means that the only owner's manual I know of is in the bike that's in the shop. :)

      Does anybody know where I can find or could you supply quick instructions on how to set the fork and shock adjustments to factory stock?

    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 17 , May 28, 2011
        Standard settings are:
        Front
        Spring Pre-load = 6
        Rebound Damping = 4
        Compression Damping = 4
        Rear
        Rebound Damping = 6
        Compression Damping = 6

        front & rear rebound and compression damping adjustments are measured as
        adjuster clicks from the fully screwed in position.
        Front spring pre-load is measured as the number of graduations lines in
        view.

        --
        Gare
        98 TBS

        Message 3 of 17 , May 28, 2011
          Thanks a million, Gary!
          Message 4 of 17 , May 28, 2011
            > Standard settings are:
            > Front
            > Spring Pre-load = 6
            > Rebound Damping = 4
            > Compression Damping = 4
            > Rear
            > Rebound Damping = 6
            > Compression Damping = 6

            Can I get pushy and ask you how much thread you've got showing on your shock preload? Mine's cranked all the way down.
          • Gary Gavin
            Message 5 of 17 , May 31, 2011
              Well, I had to replace my OE shock with a Hagon unit when the hose to the
              remote split. I saved the OE shock but in the multiple moves it's MIA at
              the moment. Thought it would show up as the boxes are emptied, but not yet.
              When it shows up will post the measurement. If you got the info from
              somewhere else please share.

              --
              Gare
              98 TBS

            • Gary Gavin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 2, 2011
                Found my OE shock minutes ago. The top of the first lock ring is 1 1/8"
                from the top most thread on the body. Hope this helps.

                --
                Gare

              • Mo
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6, 2011
                  Like all of us (or most), I buy that motorcycle degreaser...S100, Motul Bike
                  Wash etc for about ten or fifteen dollars a bottle...Today at walmart, I was
                  looking at their wheel and tire cleaners...there was one, A2Z All Wheel and Tire
                  Cleaner that said it was good for all wheels...Aluminum, mag, painted, anodized,
                  clear coated etc, for about 4 dollars...I smelled it in the store, and it
                  smelled just like S100...long story short, I bought a jug and the stuff is
                  amazing...maybe even a little better then the usual ones. It sprays on in a more
                  foamy way, so it doesn't run off like the others, and hoses away with ease.
                  There was no sign at all of any discoloration or etching of any parts I used it
                  on.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Hi Gary,

                    Sorry to hear about your missing shock.

                    Setting the front forks back to stock turned out to be a very good starting point. The damping's spot on. The preload's a little soft, but I'm guessing that's because it was set so high for so long (spring sag). My guess is that I'll wind up at just a turn or two more on the preload and be done.

                    The rear shock...full preload is a touch excessive, but it's not bad enough to warrant changing it. I'll trade a little stiffness for the cornering clearance it gives me. Having played with the preload on my LegendTT, I'd guess that "perfect" for me (6', 210lb) on this shock would be about 1/2" of thread showing.

                    Peter
                  • KEITH REGELIN

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                        Geez, you are right!!! I will call them tomorrow and find out why not
                        though....and report back.

                        Thanks!!!
                        16EFE88F4

                        ________________________________

                        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                            wait til tomorrow...I want to see what they say...maybe they just make a more
                            expensive cleaner thats for bikes..
                            16EFE88F4

                            ________________________________

                            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                              To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                              From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                              To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 16, 2011
                                I talked to one of the product specialists at Eagle One, about their All Wheel
                                and Tire Wash.What he said was that some motorcycle wheels are not finished the
                                same as automotive wheels and this cleaner might damage the finish. He told me
                                specifically, that they tested a Harley Davidson spoked rim, and it turned all
                                the spokes almost black. (not going to make an anti harley remark here and start
                                a war). He also said that any damage to the finish of a wheel would be
                                noticeable pretty much instantly. I didn't have any trouble on the Sprint
                                wheels, apparantly they have a "normal" automotive clearcoat. He did offer one
                                caution though, he said when this stuff gets on a tire, it will leave a small
                                residue which would be slippery...this residue wears quickly, so just ease into
                                that first twisty with a bit of restraint.

                                I'm curious if this stuff would discolor the spoked wheel of a TBS. Black spokes
                                would look cool though, huh? So now we know...certain things can't be used on
                                motorcycles because of Harleys....
                                16EFE88F4

                                ________________________________

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                                To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 18, 2011
                                  > So now we know...certain things can't be used on
                                  > motorcycles because of Harleys....

                                  I knew you couldn't resist! :)
                                • KEITH REGELIN

                                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>

                                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 18, 2011
                                      Ive got a Triumph Spring...allow rims. I joined this group when I had a TBS, and still come here to read...

                                      16EFE88F4

                                      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                      To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                                      From: KEITH REGELIN <emeraldman1973@...>