Steering Damper

  • rew3624623
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2011
      I was reading the threads on steering dampers and I am trying to configure one for my 1999 TBS. I am going to run the TBS this August at the Bonneville Salt Flats and the steering damper is required. Any suggestions?
    • glgavin
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2011
        Aloha and welcome to the group. What a wonderful undertaking. I looked at the thread and the link that Reverand Skirt left didn't work. Hopefully this one will. http://tinyurl.com/6j9ojdw

        The image is buried in the old Original Members Album of TriumphRat.net under member TBSstunta.

        I would imagine that most damper's for the T3 series bikes would fit with minor alterations.

        07 Mini Cooper
      • KEITH REGELIN

          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2011
            Aloha Keith - the need for the steering damper in the recent post is REQUIRED in order to run a bike at the Bonneville Salt Flats. As you say, a steering damper is not necessary on the TBS. Mine, with 104k miles on it and original wheel bearings, is stable at it's indicated top of 130 mph. The original thread did have a stability issue and I agree that it must have been something associated with fork oil levels, air pressure, head stock bearings, rim or tire condition/choice.

            07 Mini Cooper S
          • KEITH REGELIN
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2011
              Gary, So sorry! Right after I shot that email, I read the one about Bonneville! So cool! Good luck there. You mey remember me, I asked for advice on whether or not to replace my radiator hoses on my '98 TBS several years ago. You said no. Good call, they still are working.. Keith Regelin PS You miss Hawaii? I lived there for 2 years when I was a child with my dad in Pearl City (Navy brat!)

              To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
              From: gary.l.gavin@...
              Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 01:25:46 +0000

              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2011
                Over my years I've had the opportunity to live in several US states and Europe. Every place has had it's own beauty. Spending almost 30 years in Hawaii exceeded the time spent growing up in Western Colorado yet I still look to Colorado as my home. Over those 30 years Hawaii has changed some, like most places. Despite its beauty, weather and ethnic mix that I enjoyed so much, Oahu simply got too expensive and populated.

                Over the winter in the Ozarks of Missouri I missed those warm and sometimes wet Hawaiian winter days but acquired some winter riding gear and slipped out for 100 mile rides once the temps reached 40 or above. Now with temps 50 or above I've really enjoyed regular 200 mile rides and whacked out a 400 plus mile ride just 'cause I had nothing better to do. In contrast that would be 4 times around Oahu, much of it at 35 mph.

                Yea, I miss Hawaii, the Triumph and other riders who went on our monthly RAT rides, having windows open year round and the color of the ocean. But in my remaining years I'm looking forward to meeting many of the members of the various Triumph boards, seeing the country from two lane farm roads and attending the Triumph get-togethers that I've only read about online.

                This time next week I'll be settling in North Carolina and am looking attending some of the East Coast events.

                Hope to see you on the road,

                07 Mini Cooper S