This rotten weather is great for refurbishing the old TBS

  • Nic
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2011
      I have decidied to refurbish my y2k TBS. I wash thinking of reainting colors and style.
      The orange and white stand out on the raod, but is hard to keep from soiling from road grime, plus I like the stealth colors for night straffing of hiways.
      I haven't decidied what colors yet and that's the big problem.
      I have Kehin flat slide carbs and plan to make a tuned 3-1-2 exhaust system so I can use aftermarket mufflers from the chopper cateloges, hoping to get around 110hp.
      My saddle will have the stock pan but be reupholstered for weekend traveling. I plan to use
      progressive wound springs set for a 210lb rider and eqaual weight passenger when needed. the other problem is what brand shock to use.
      well enuff planing to get this dream a reeality, time to get greasy.
      I'll use my V-strom for a partds chaser.
    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2011
        I too wanted to use the winter down time to tidy up some things on the TBS.
        Not having lived on the US mainland for several years I forgot that you
        need an environment controlled area to do the work. So I didn't get
        anything done other than acquiring cold weather riding gear and testing it
        out. When it warmed up enough I installed a new drive chain. Before the
        current rains hit I managed a 440 mile ride. I definitely need to replace
        the compacted foam and cracking cover on the solo seat.

        Waynesville, MO

      • thusprt04
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2011
          I replaced my trophy monoshock with an adjustable hagon unit about a month ago and it made a huge difference to handling of the bike, and I'll change my TBS unit with one when it's spent. The KYB is great right now, only about 5K miles on it so I'm hoping it will be a while before I need to change it, but I have already made the decision given how good the Hagon unit is. It was also a direct swap, no installation fitmint problems at all.

          I had to give some thought and get some help from the Triumphrat.net group with placement of the remote adjuster, but even that went smoothly with past experience input.

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Nic" <goodnuph@...> wrote:>> I have decidied to refurbish my y2k TBS. I wash thinking of reainting colors and style.> The orange and white stand out on the raod, but is hard to keep from soiling from road grime, plus I like the stealth colors for night straffing of hiways.> I haven't decidied what colors yet and that's the big problem.> I have Kehin flat slide carbs and plan to make a tuned 3-1-2 exhaust system so I can use aftermarket mufflers from the chopper cateloges, hoping to get around 110hp. > My saddle will have the stock pan but be reupholstered for weekend  traveling. I plan to use > progressive wound springs set for a 210lb rider and eqaual weight passenger when needed. the other problem is what brand shock to use.> well enuff planing to get this dream a reeality, time to get greasy.> I'll use my V-strom for a partds chaser.>