Chain and Sprockets

  • eawtbs98
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      Time for new chain and sprockets. Anyone have a recommendation on brand?

      Thanks
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
        I replaced mine with a DiD. Not sure what model,but it was around $200. Worth every penny as I had to adjust it for the first time at 12,000 miles. The OEM chain lasted 19,000 miles. I lube every tank of fuel(about 185/200 miles) and check freeplay every 500 miles.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
          DID is good, I have about 28K miles on one and it is still going
          good. Original lasted about 18 - 19 K. I used JT Sprockets, but
          I think Renthal is also making sprockets to fit these bikes now.

          Cheers,
          Denny

          On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:10:29 +0000, Bill digitized the following:
          > I replaced mine with a DiD. Not sure what model,but it was around
          > $200. Worth every penny as I had to adjust it for the first time
          > at 12,000 miles. The OEM chain lasted 19,000 miles. I lube every
          > tank of fuel(about 185/200 miles) and check freeplay every 500
          > miles.
          >
          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, eawtbs98
          > <no_reply@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Time for new chain and sprockets. Anyone have a recommendation on brand?
          >>
          >> Thanks

        • Gary Gavin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
            I've currently have a DID ZVM aka ZVMX chain on mine and get similar mileage
            as the others. In addition to the lubrication regime this model DID chain
            is designed for the 1400cc bikes. IMHO this helps extend the life of the
            chain. I put AFAM sprockets on at the first recommended chain/sprocket
            change. The condition of the OE sprockets was excellent so I decided to
            only replace chains in the future and check the condition of the sprockets.
            Somewhere around the 50k mark I replaced the countershaft sprocket just to
            check it's condition. It was fine. Now with 100k + miles the rear sprocket
            sill looks good. I checked the countershaft sprocket about 5k miles ago and
            it was still good. FYI I had a 2k Tiger that I used OE (Sunstar) sprockets
            and the same DID chain. I put over 60k on the sprockets and they were just
            fine when I sold it. I replaced the chain once in that time.

            An observation on chain adjustment - the three shops that replaced chains
            for me all adjusted the chain tension too much. If you have a shop do the
            work double check the adjustment when you get home. Tension is another
            component in extending chain life.
            --
            Gare

          • eawtbs98
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2011
              Wow Thats alot milies on OEM sprockets. I have 23K on the OEM. The sprockets do look good. On the chain all the rollers are free, but I have two places where ther is like a kink in the chain. But I have always lube my chain about every 200 miles. I was thinking I shouldn't replace just the chain. I thought that may cause faster wear.
              Thanks for everyones input, Eric

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
                What are you guys using for chains and sprockets these days and where are you getting them from?

                The yellow beast needs a new set and the guy who's doing it (local Honda dealer...good man though...still has a John Player Norton mounted on his overhead shelf) can't find anything other than Triumph OE.
              • mikepadgett2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
                  Peter:

                  I installed an RK 530x114 X-Ring Chain (P/N 2405-162) on my '98 TBS in July, 2010. Been very happy with it.

                  After taking delivery of the RK chain and comparing with the one a Triumph dealer installed about 10,000 miles prior, I noticed a distinct difference in the size of the side plates of the 2 chains. The side plates of the chain the Triumph dealer installed were smaller although the chain specs were the same. The chain which the dealer installed stretched over the course of 10,000 miles to the point that it wasn't usable. I assumed it was OEM.

                  I got the RK chain from www.oldbikebarn.com at a cost of $120.95.

                  Make sure you have a chain tool to install it.

                  -Mike P.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
                    Purchased my last chain DID 530VM from Sprocket Center (
                    http://www.sprocketcenter.com/) along with a RK Pro chain tool. Man that
                    tool is handy. I must have 80k or more miles on an AFAM rear steel sprocket
                    which I though of replacing but can't seem to find anyone advertising them.
                    I guess alloy is where it's at there. Sprocket Center has AFAM front
                    sprockets and other brands (maybe house) steel. Service was great, arrived
                    in about a week.

                    --
                    Gare
                    98 TBS

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2011
                      Thanks, guys! I've got a set on the way.