Sport vs TBird Rear wheel - compatible?

  • Mario Zarnich
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
      A friend of mine has a regular TBird (a real nice one too) and has a line on getting a 17" TBird Sport wheel - do any of you guys know if this is a plug-n-play fit for his bike?

      Do you know if he will he need the sprocket drive/hub from the TBird sport too, or can he just use his?

      Appreciate any info you can offer.

      Cheers

      Mario Speed Freak's Performance MotorcyclesAtlanta's European Bike Night (EBN)Atlanta's Triumph Motorcycle Club

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
        BoltsRightUp

        The Hub, Rotor, Sprocket etc. are all the same

        Difference is limited to the Rim, Spokes, Tire and Tube.

        --On November 22, 2010 4:17:45 PM -0800 Mario Zarnich <sp33d3@...> wrote:

        > A friend of mine has a regular TBird (a real nice one too) and has a line on
        > getting a 17" TBird Sport wheel - do any of you guys know if this is a
        > plug-n-play fit for his bike?
        >
        > Do you know if he will he need the sprocket drive/hub from the TBird sport
        > too, or can he just use his?
        >
        > Appreciate any info you can offer.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Mario Speed Freak's Performance MotorcyclesAtlanta's European Bike Night
        > (EBN)Atlanta's Triumph Motorcycle Club

      • jim mcgrath
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 22, 2010
          check these guys out, I love them...always seem to have what I need-

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Thunderbird-REAR-WHEEL-RIM-TIRE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51892414e7QQitemZ350193194215QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          From: dennyhenderson@...
          Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:06:57 -0500
          Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Sport vs TBird Rear wheel - compatible?

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2010
            >Posted by: "Denny"
            dennyhenderson@...

            dennyhenderson

            >BoltsRightUp

            >The Hub, Rotor, Sprocket etc. are all the same

            >Difference is limited to the Rim, Spokes, Tire and Tube.

            Thanks yo all for the responses

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
              > check these guys out, I love them...always seem to have what I need-

              Not to mention a nice price!
            • arieldunnwright
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
                > jim mcgrath <jimmsd@...> wrote:
                > check these guys out, I love them...always seem to have what I need-

                Yeah, Pinwall Cycles has a lot of stuff. When I was looking for some brake parts they had pieces from two early(1998, 1999) yellow Thunderbird Sports they had broken. They have video on their websites of the bikes running before they stripped 'em down. Makes me wonder why they broke them, unless they figure they can recoup their money from buying older, running bikes and selling the pieces. By the time I had looked the tanks and seats and fenders were gone. It's tempting to buy some of the stuff "just in case".

                Lew
                '09 Speed Triple
                '07 DR-Z400SM
                '99 Legend TT (wife's)
                '98 TBS
              • jim mcgrath
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
                  LOL, I have stocked parts from them

                  To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                  From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:23:51 +0000

                  > jim mcgrath <jimmsd@...> wrote:
                  > check these guys out, I love them...always seem to have what I need-

                  Yeah, Pinwall Cycles has a lot of stuff. When I was looking for some brake parts they had pieces from two early(1998, 1999) yellow Thunderbird Sports they had broken. They have video on their websites of the bikes running before they stripped 'em down. Makes me wonder why they broke them, unless they figure they can recoup their money from buying older, running bikes and selling the pieces. By the time I had looked the tanks and seats and fenders were gone. It's tempting to buy some of the stuff "just in case".

                  Lew
                  '09 Speed Triple
                  '07 DR-Z400SM
                  '99 Legend TT (wife's)
                  '98 TBS

                • Nic
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2010
                    Hi folks;
                    It seems that most of the rear wheels from the early T'birds as well as the Trophy/S3 models .
                    The only thing between the Trophy/S3 and T'birds are the brake rotoe caliper and anchors..
                    The front rims are almost interchangeable.but require new spacers to align them.
                    The weight drops about 20lbs and tubeless tires can be used.