RE: [T TBS R] new to list

  • John Shaw
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010
      The alternator on the T-birds gives way too high a voltage and will boil off
      the water from many types of batteries.

      The lack of water would fool the tender I expect as the voltage would be
      reading ok but there would be no capacity.

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010
        Exactly what happend to me by the time i caught what was happening the damage had been done. Hoping the sealed battery will hold up better.
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "John Shaw" <horton@...> wrote:

        > The alternator on the T-birds gives way too high a voltage and will boil off
        > the water from many types of batteries.
        >
        > The lack of water would fool the tender I expect as the voltage would be
        > reading ok but there would be no capacity.

      • Woody Sutherland
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 11, 2010
          Is there a definitive test that can be performed in a home garage to
          determine whether the igniter is good or bad?

          thanks,
          Woody Sutherland
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 11, 2010
            If you can borrow one of the test devices that Triumph dealers had for that
            purpose.

            OR Borrow a known good igniter.

            Other than that it's not so easy to diagnose it accurately.

            Swapping for a known good unit will let you know if the other components are
            the culprit, but then you need to narrow it down to coils, pickup coil, or a
            wiring problem.

            --On October 11, 2010 6:56:18 PM -0700 Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...>
            wrote:

            > Is there a definitive test that can be performed in a home garage to
            > determine whether the igniter is good or bad?
            >
            > thanks,
            > Woody Sutherland

          • Woody Sutherland
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 13, 2010
              OK, I purchased a spark plug, pulled a wire and grounded the new plug.
              There is a weak spark. I assume any spark at all means the Igniter is
              OK. I'll purchase new Nology coils and 2 more spark plugs and see if
              that will get the Thunderbird Sport started.

              What voltage should I see on a fully charged battery? Mine is 13.4 VDC.

              thanks,
              Woody Sutherland
              San Diego
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 13, 2010
                The voltage does not tell the whole story.

                13.4 is OK.

                But, take it to an auto parts store and have it stress tested to find out if it has the cranking capacity.

                i.e. can it still put out enough amperes to crank and fire the ignition at the same time.

                Thank You,
                Denny

                On Oct 13, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...> wrote:

                > OK, I purchased a spark plug, pulled a wire and grounded the new plug.
                > There is a weak spark. I assume any spark at all means the Igniter is
                > OK. I'll purchase new Nology coils and 2 more spark plugs and see if
                > that will get the Thunderbird Sport started.
                >
                > What voltage should I see on a fully charged battery? Mine is 13.4 VDC.
                >
                > thanks,
                > Woody Sutherland
                > San Diego

              • Woody Sutherland
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                  This is a continuation of my saga with a 1999 Tunderbird Sport that I
                  purchased over the net and had shipped to me.

                  I installed Nology coils and new NGK plugs this morning. The battery had
                  been charged. Lo and behold, the Thunderbird Sport started right up. It
                  was running a little rough, but I wasn't concerned.

                  I went in and put on riding gear and took off for a short ride. After a
                  couple of miles, the engine started clicking. I babied it home and
                  pulled the plugs. All looks good. I started it again. Bad sounds.

                  It sounds like something wrong with the valves. Could a shim have broken
                  and fallen out?

                  thanks,
                  Woody

                  Good thing I have my '99 Tiger.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                    Not so likely that a shim would break.

                    valves could need adjusted. How many miles on it? you probably said b4.

                    If the valves get too tight that can cause a burnt exhaust valve, so I'd check
                    the clearances b4 doing anything else.

                    timing chain or one of the guides for it, could cause a noise. easy to check
                    while checking valve clearance.

                    The impeller bolt on the end of the alternator can work loose.
                    That makes an aweful racket, but goes away around 3000 rpm.

                    --On October 16, 2010 5:47:16 PM -0700 Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...>
                    wrote:

                    > This is a continuation of my saga with a 1999 Tunderbird Sport that I
                    > purchased over the net and had shipped to me.
                    >
                    > I installed Nology coils and new NGK plugs this morning. The battery had
                    > been charged. Lo and behold, the Thunderbird Sport started right up. It
                    > was running a little rough, but I wasn't concerned.
                    >
                    > I went in and put on riding gear and took off for a short ride. After a
                    > couple of miles, the engine started clicking. I babied it home and
                    > pulled the plugs. All looks good. I started it again. Bad sounds.
                    >
                    > It sounds like something wrong with the valves. Could a shim have broken
                    > and fallen out?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > Woody
                    >
                    > Good thing I have my '99 Tiger.

                  • Tim
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 27, 2010
                      They all click a bit. Ride it a little and see how it settles in. Frankly all of the Triumph engines like that I have heard (and I own a std T-bird and an adventurer) sound like an old sewing machine or a harvester near failure. These Bikes are not sensitive in that area.

                      Let the bike settle and give it a bit of love and it will respond or tell you what is really wrong. Don't mess with the shims and valves unless you know what you are doing or have someone who does.

                      Best,

                      Tim

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 29, 2010
                        > timing chain or one of the guides for it, could cause a noise.

                        If I recall correctly, it was '99 and earlier that would occasionally lose the cam chain tensioners, wasn't it?