new to list

  • Woody Sutherland
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 7, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm a new Thunderbird Sport owner. I purchased sight-unseen and arranged
      shipping. A 1999 red Thunderbird Sport was delivered yesterday.
      Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it started. The battery was
      dead upon delivery, so I put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Now, it
      turns over but does not fire a lick.

      I'm sure the gas is old. I have no idea how much choke is required and
      whether to give any throttle while starting.

      I'll pull the plugs on Sat and check for fouling. I'll also ground and
      look for spark while the starter turns.

      I'm open to any words of wisdom from those of you who have gone before me.

      thank you,
      Woody Sutherland
      San Diego

      PS - I sold a green 1996 Thunderbird right after I sent payment for the
      Thunderbird Sport. I also have a 1999 FI Tiger, and a couple of older
      BMW motos. I'm a capable shade tree mechanic, when I can find the time.
    • Gary L Gavin
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 7, 2010
        Aloha Woody and welcome to the group.

        As with all the Hinckley Triumphs a fresh battery is important. If you
        suspect that yours is old I'd replace it. I've fouled my plugs before so
        checking those, even just replacing them can help. How long has the bike
        been dormant? Those carbs can gum up pretty easily so some fuel additive
        can help clean things out once you get it running. In your part of the
        country I'd suspect little or no choke would be necessary. At times I've
        had to apply full choke and full throttle to force the engine to fire.

        Gary

        98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

        00 Triumph Tiger (sold)

        07 Mini Cooper S

        85 Ron Cooper (push bike)

        Currently Napa, CA

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
          Woody, I have 2 TBS's and a fren has 3rd. If you have hard time with it, e-mail me. I would be willing to do "easter-egg" with components to get you running. TRUST ME, it has made my life real easy identifying problems before hunting for and buying un-needed parts
          . I live in UCSD area. PS- we need to get you signed up with The Spokesmen, it's a british cafe/ anything old moto group.

          JIM

          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
            that's SDSU (College Area)....I always get those schools mixed up.

            > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
            > From: jimmsd@...
            > Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 08:47:27 -0700
            > Subject: RE: [T TBS R] new to list
            >

            > Woody, I have 2 TBS's and a fren has 3rd. If you have hard time with it, e-mail me. I would be willing to do "easter-egg" with components to get you running. TRUST ME, it has made my life real easy identifying problems before hunting for and buying un-needed parts
            > . I live in UCSD area. PS- we need to get you signed up with The Spokesmen, it's a british cafe/ anything old moto group.
            >
            > JIM
            >

            > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
            > From: motowoodys@...
            > Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:35:36 -0700
            > Subject: [T TBS R] new to list
            >

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm a new Thunderbird Sport owner. I purchased sight-unseen and arranged
            > shipping. A 1999 red Thunderbird Sport was delivered yesterday.
            > Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it started. The battery was
            > dead upon delivery, so I put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Now, it
            > turns over but does not fire a lick.
            >
            > I'm sure the gas is old. I have no idea how much choke is required and
            > whether to give any throttle while starting.
            >
            > I'll pull the plugs on Sat and check for fouling. I'll also ground and
            > look for spark while the starter turns.
            >
            > I'm open to any words of wisdom from those of you who have gone before me.
            >
            > thank you,
            > Woody Sutherland
            > San Diego
            >
            > PS - I sold a green 1996 Thunderbird right after I sent payment for the
            > Thunderbird Sport. I also have a 1999 FI Tiger, and a couple of older
            > BMW motos. I'm a capable shade tree mechanic, when I can find the time.

          • normb
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
              Congratulations, Woody. I also have a '99 TBS and love it. Had it for about
              6 years and it has been flawless. There are far more capable mechanics on
              this site than I, so I'll defer to them as to how to get it started. I find
              that mine needs full choke when it gets "cold", by So. Cal. standards.
              Otherwise, no choke is needed. Very light throttle- maybe- when it's cold,
              but usually the full choke gets 'er revved, let it idle for 30-60 seconds
              and you can back it off lightly- not totally.

              Aloha Norm
              Orange County

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
                > I'm a new Thunderbird Sport owner. I purchased sight-unseen and arranged
                > shipping. A 1999 red Thunderbird Sport was delivered yesterday.
                > Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it started. The battery was
                > dead upon delivery, so I put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Now, it
                > turns over but does not fire a lick.

                Here's another quick question that came to mind. Is it possible for the
                battery to be charged enough to turn the starter but not enough to power
                the ignition system? I've found this not to be the case with other vehicles.

                Also, what's the consensus for changing out stock coils with Nology ones.

                thanks,
                Woody Sutherland
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
                  On Oct 08, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...> wrote:

                  > Here's another quick question that came to mind. Is it possible for the
                  > battery to be charged enough to turn the starter but not enough to power
                  > the ignition system? I've found this not to be the case with other vehicles.

                  Yes, that is possible, these bikes need a good Battery.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Choke depends on bike...my stock '98 starts with no choke, my "off road pipes needs full. I would just go full choke for now.
                    As for Nology coils, they're great (better and cheaper than stock) if you need them. Replace all 3 if you do. Their wires suck, no plug boot, just a flimsy rubber disc ontop to cover plug shaft.)
                    It is possible you have a bad computer (igniter). I was checking my coils, #3 cyl wasn't firing. Replaced from my other bike and still had problem. Swaped out igniters and she fired up like a champ. If computer is bad, salvage yard or new from a company in Europe that another member turned us onto.

                    To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                    From: motowoodys@...
                    Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:12:35 -0700
                    Subject: Re: [T TBS R] new to list

                    > I'm a new Thunderbird Sport owner. I purchased sight-unseen and arranged
                    > shipping. A 1999 red Thunderbird Sport was delivered yesterday.
                    > Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it started. The battery was
                    > dead upon delivery, so I put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Now, it
                    > turns over but does not fire a lick.

                    Here's another quick question that came to mind. Is it possible for the
                    battery to be charged enough to turn the starter but not enough to power
                    the ignition system? I've found this not to be the case with other vehicles.

                    Also, what's the consensus for changing out stock coils with Nology ones.

                    thanks,
                    Woody Sutherland

                  • Andrew Jenkins
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010

                      > > Also, what's the consensus for changing out stock coils with Nology ones

                      The Gill coils are a known problem for breaking down. Although it's an
                      expensive
                      option I'd recommend the Nologys. I did and It really improved things.

                      Andy.
                    • Wayne Baker
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 8, 2010
                        Yes you can have a battery that the starter will draw down enough power that there is not enough capicity left to fire the ignition right and it will still test good. (Too much Voltage Draw)
                        Yes go with the Nology coils I put a set in mine last summer and the difference was very noticeable. My gas mileage even improved by about 1Mpg . My gills was still working but I swapped them out after hearing about the problems others had with them.
                        They are fun bikes you will like it

                        > > Also, what's the consensus for changing out stock coils with Nology ones

                        The Gill coils are a known problem for breaking down. Although it's an
                        expensive
                        option I'd recommend the Nologys. I did and It really improved things.

                        Andy.

                      • Peter T
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010
                          I discovered this year that green indicator on battery tender does not guarantee a go. Swapped batter for gel type and fired right up.

                          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jim mcgrath <jimmsd@...> wrote:

                          > Woody, I have 2 TBS's and a fren has 3rd. If you have hard time with it, e-mail me. I would be willing to do "easter-egg" with components to get you running. TRUST ME, it has made my life real easy identifying problems before hunting for and buying un-needed parts
                          > . I live in UCSD area. PS- we need to get you signed up with The Spokesmen, it's a british cafe/ anything old moto group.
                          >
                          > JIM
                          >

                          > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: motowoodys@...
                          > Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:35:36 -0700
                          > Subject: [T TBS R] new to list
                          >

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I'm a new Thunderbird Sport owner. I purchased sight-unseen and arranged
                          > shipping. A 1999 red Thunderbird Sport was delivered yesterday.
                          > Unfortunately, I've not been able to get it started. The battery was
                          > dead upon delivery, so I put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Now, it
                          > turns over but does not fire a lick.
                          >
                          > I'm sure the gas is old. I have no idea how much choke is required and
                          > whether to give any throttle while starting.
                          >
                          > I'll pull the plugs on Sat and check for fouling. I'll also ground and
                          > look for spark while the starter turns.
                          >
                          > I'm open to any words of wisdom from those of you who have gone before me.
                          >
                          > thank you,
                          > Woody Sutherland
                          > San Diego
                          >
                          > PS - I sold a green 1996 Thunderbird right after I sent payment for the
                          > Thunderbird Sport. I also have a 1999 FI Tiger, and a couple of older
                          > BMW motos. I'm a capable shade tree mechanic, when I can find the time.

                        • John Shaw
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010
                            The alternator on the T-birds gives way too high a voltage and will boil off
                            the water from many types of batteries.

                            The lack of water would fool the tender I expect as the voltage would be
                            reading ok but there would be no capacity.

                            I discovered this year that green indicator on battery tender does not
                            guarantee a go. Swapped batter for gel type and fired right up.

                            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , jim mcgrath

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 9, 2010
                              Exactly what happend to me by the time i caught what was happening the damage had been done. Hoping the sealed battery will hold up better.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 11, 2010
                                Is there a definitive test that can be performed in a home garage to
                                determine whether the igniter is good or bad?

                                thanks,
                                Woody Sutherland
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 11, 2010
                                  If you can borrow one of the test devices that Triumph dealers had for that
                                  purpose.

                                  OR Borrow a known good igniter.

                                  Other than that it's not so easy to diagnose it accurately.

                                  Swapping for a known good unit will let you know if the other components are
                                  the culprit, but then you need to narrow it down to coils, pickup coil, or a
                                  wiring problem.

                                  --On October 11, 2010 6:56:18 PM -0700 Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Is there a definitive test that can be performed in a home garage to
                                  > determine whether the igniter is good or bad?
                                  >
                                  > thanks,
                                  > Woody Sutherland

                                • Woody Sutherland
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 13, 2010
                                    OK, I purchased a spark plug, pulled a wire and grounded the new plug.
                                    There is a weak spark. I assume any spark at all means the Igniter is
                                    OK. I'll purchase new Nology coils and 2 more spark plugs and see if
                                    that will get the Thunderbird Sport started.

                                    What voltage should I see on a fully charged battery? Mine is 13.4 VDC.

                                    thanks,
                                    Woody Sutherland
                                    San Diego
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 13, 2010
                                      The voltage does not tell the whole story.

                                      13.4 is OK.

                                      But, take it to an auto parts store and have it stress tested to find out if it has the cranking capacity.

                                      i.e. can it still put out enough amperes to crank and fire the ignition at the same time.

                                      Thank You,
                                      Denny

                                      On Oct 13, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...> wrote:

                                      > OK, I purchased a spark plug, pulled a wire and grounded the new plug.
                                      > There is a weak spark. I assume any spark at all means the Igniter is
                                      > OK. I'll purchase new Nology coils and 2 more spark plugs and see if
                                      > that will get the Thunderbird Sport started.
                                      >
                                      > What voltage should I see on a fully charged battery? Mine is 13.4 VDC.
                                      >
                                      > thanks,
                                      > Woody Sutherland
                                      > San Diego

                                    • Woody Sutherland
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                        This is a continuation of my saga with a 1999 Tunderbird Sport that I
                                        purchased over the net and had shipped to me.

                                        I installed Nology coils and new NGK plugs this morning. The battery had
                                        been charged. Lo and behold, the Thunderbird Sport started right up. It
                                        was running a little rough, but I wasn't concerned.

                                        I went in and put on riding gear and took off for a short ride. After a
                                        couple of miles, the engine started clicking. I babied it home and
                                        pulled the plugs. All looks good. I started it again. Bad sounds.

                                        It sounds like something wrong with the valves. Could a shim have broken
                                        and fallen out?

                                        thanks,
                                        Woody

                                        Good thing I have my '99 Tiger.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                          Not so likely that a shim would break.

                                          valves could need adjusted. How many miles on it? you probably said b4.

                                          If the valves get too tight that can cause a burnt exhaust valve, so I'd check
                                          the clearances b4 doing anything else.

                                          timing chain or one of the guides for it, could cause a noise. easy to check
                                          while checking valve clearance.

                                          The impeller bolt on the end of the alternator can work loose.
                                          That makes an aweful racket, but goes away around 3000 rpm.

                                          --On October 16, 2010 5:47:16 PM -0700 Woody Sutherland <motowoodys@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > This is a continuation of my saga with a 1999 Tunderbird Sport that I
                                          > purchased over the net and had shipped to me.
                                          >
                                          > I installed Nology coils and new NGK plugs this morning. The battery had
                                          > been charged. Lo and behold, the Thunderbird Sport started right up. It
                                          > was running a little rough, but I wasn't concerned.
                                          >
                                          > I went in and put on riding gear and took off for a short ride. After a
                                          > couple of miles, the engine started clicking. I babied it home and
                                          > pulled the plugs. All looks good. I started it again. Bad sounds.
                                          >
                                          > It sounds like something wrong with the valves. Could a shim have broken
                                          > and fallen out?
                                          >
                                          > thanks,
                                          > Woody
                                          >
                                          > Good thing I have my '99 Tiger.

                                        • Tim
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 27, 2010
                                            They all click a bit. Ride it a little and see how it settles in. Frankly all of the Triumph engines like that I have heard (and I own a std T-bird and an adventurer) sound like an old sewing machine or a harvester near failure. These Bikes are not sensitive in that area.

                                            Let the bike settle and give it a bit of love and it will respond or tell you what is really wrong. Don't mess with the shims and valves unless you know what you are doing or have someone who does.

                                            Best,

                                            Tim

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 29, 2010
                                              > timing chain or one of the guides for it, could cause a noise.

                                              If I recall correctly, it was '99 and earlier that would occasionally lose the cam chain tensioners, wasn't it?