Obsolete parts

  • tangerineandblack@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hi all
      This is my first post so a quick intro-

      Bought 2002 TBS in London in 2006. 2008 i emigrated with it (and the cat) to Gran Canaria. Its all stock and is about as favourite a thing as i´ve got! I know there are at least two other TBS on Gran Canaria - let me know who and where if you know more . .

      Now rebuilding the bike (and re-painting) after it suffered overspray from some other repainting i was doing. That´s how clever i am! There´s more to it than that natch but that need not be here and now.

      As for real stuff - i need new sleeves in the swing arm pivot. I have bought the longest of them, but distributors in UK tell me that T2056992, the 64mm swing arm sleeve, is obsolete. I´ve googled it of course but its the new part i need to google eh!?

      I cant believe there´s not a new part (or it has a new number)´but how do i identify it? I´d be glad if someone can suggest how I proceed.

      Worst of all is, while i have been careful to ensure whilst dismantling, everything is noted and recorded and traced and tracked dih dah dih dah, I cannot now find this one part that is old but that it looks like i might have to stick with . . . there´s a law about that eh!
    • glgavin
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
        Give a look at http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-triumph-motorcycle-thunderbird-sport/o/m17585

        The swingarm innards should be common amoung the Classic T3 models which stop production in 2004 with the final TBS. In the US that should mean that bits are suspose to be available till 2014.

        07 Mini Cooper s
        85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
        Currently in Napa, CA

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "tangerineandblack@..." <tangerineandblack@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        > This is my first post so a quick intro-
        >
        > Bought 2002 TBS in London in 2006. 2008 i emigrated with it (and the cat) to Gran Canaria. Its all stock and is about as favourite a thing as i´ve got! I know there are at least two other TBS on Gran Canaria - let me know who and where if you know more . .
        >
        > Now rebuilding the bike (and re-painting) after it suffered overspray from some other repainting i was doing. That´s how clever i am! There´s more to it than that natch but that need not be here and now.
        >
        > As for real stuff - i need new sleeves in the swing arm pivot. I have bought the longest of them, but distributors in UK tell me that T2056992, the 64mm swing arm sleeve, is obsolete. I´ve googled it of course but its the new part i need to google eh!?
        >
        > I cant believe there´s not a new part (or it has a new number)´but how do i identify it? I´d be glad if someone can suggest how I proceed.
        >
        > Worst of all is, while i have been careful to ensure whilst dismantling, everything is noted and recorded and traced and tracked dih dah dih dah, I cannot now find this one part that is old but that it looks like i might have to stick with . . . there´s a law about that eh!

      • Luther T. Garcia
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
          Triumph has a nasty habit of "superceding" obsolete parts with parts that don't fit. I discovered this when trying to replace a couple of fairing bolts. The black ones are obsolete, and the silver ones listed as replacements are both the wrong size and wrong thread.

          Luther T. Garcia
          ltgesq@...

          On Oct 1, 2010, at 6:33 PM, glgavin wrote:

          > Give a look at http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-triumph-motorcycle-thunderbird-sport/o/m17585
          >
          > The swingarm innards should be common amoung the Classic T3 models which stop production in 2004 with the final TBS. In the US that should mean that bits are suspose to be available till 2014.
          >
          > Gary
          > 98 Thunderbird Sport
          > 07 Mini Cooper s
          > 85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
          > Currently in Napa, CA
          >
          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "tangerineandblack@..." <tangerineandblack@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all
          > > This is my first post so a quick intro-
          > >
          > > Bought 2002 TBS in London in 2006. 2008 i emigrated with it (and the cat) to Gran Canaria. Its all stock and is about as favourite a thing as i�ve got! I know there are at least two other TBS on Gran Canaria - let me know who and where if you know more . .
          > >
          > > Now rebuilding the bike (and re-painting) after it suffered overspray from some other repainting i was doing. That�s how clever i am! There�s more to it than that natch but that need not be here and now.
          > >
          > > As for real stuff - i need new sleeves in the swing arm pivot. I have bought the longest of them, but distributors in UK tell me that T2056992, the 64mm swing arm sleeve, is obsolete. I�ve googled it of course but its the new part i need to google eh!?
          > >
          > > I cant believe there�s not a new part (or it has a new number)�but how do i identify it? I�d be glad if someone can suggest how I proceed.
          > >
          > > Worst of all is, while i have been careful to ensure whilst dismantling, everything is noted and recorded and traced and tracked dih dah dih dah, I cannot now find this one part that is old but that it looks like i might have to stick with . . . there�s a law about that eh!

        • jim mcgrath
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
            Try these guys. A moto chop shop in Ohio US that I've got parts from on numerous occations. You can call them for specific items

            http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pinwall_cycle_parts/

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
              Thanks for that it is a good start - the fear that i´d have a problem started with bikebandit before now as they said triumph had no stock and no date for availability for one sleeve. I cancelled the back order on that one and somehow they delivered neither. So i referred back more locally to UK only to hear here the word obsolete!

              I can´t see how to use Bikebandit to get triumph part numbers (the usual function of the Fiche). I can put T numbers into BB for search but even then they disregard them substituted by their own (weird) reference number.

              It is not helpful that Triumph call the sleeves for the swing arm pivot some variation of swing (-ing), arm and sleeve and with carefully placed spaces to differentiate them!

              Since i ordered today, "World Of Triumph" have already stopped the Add to Cart button for the 64mm sleeve! Good on them - I´m waiting on them for a solution, all dependent of course on T.

              It is Triumph that need to verify which part it is and how they make it available i think . . I shouldn´t do too much until World Of Triumph have come back to me with The Word of Triumph ;-)

              It is fiche item number 10 on the (late version) swingarm view at bikebandit that i need- some website fiches is added "64mm" to the description. Put T2056992 into bikebandit (and others) and its that sleeve that they indicate - which is obsolete.

              Glad to hear, if i get the right part number it won´t be obsolete till 2014. That, though, really isn´t very far away . . .

              Being new here i don´t know if anyone wants to know about Triumph paint codes and Dupont paint. Googling Triumph EE paint codes gave me a paint code that was all but useless . . . more in a new thread?

              Greg

              I have never been able to write a short note about anything. Ever. Tell me if i´m talking too much already!

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2010
                Pinwall have already saved my life (i was all but suicidal you understand :-))): they sold me a $700 clutch for 150$ albeit ´used´ including delivery to spain! Even if it proves worn(ish) i still have my original serviceable friction plates. Because:

                That´s all part of the ..."there´s more" (about stripping the bike down) of my original post. I broke (likely) or it was already broken (less likely), the clutch basket while i was looking for the source of the most exaggerated vibration at 4000rpm . . . was going for the aux gear behind the clutch and found one of the webs in the basket fractured and protruding. I´ve read posts about the vibration all suggesting its normal - but i think mine is more recent than ´normal´ and its not a comfortable ride with it. After i´d last checked the valve clearances, and a minor very minor dismantling (starter and alternator for inspection), and reassembled, for about 300miles there was so completely no vibration it was astounding - talk about smooth as a baby´s -am i allowed to say- bum? Just about to find out.

                300miles i think is not significant - any other day it may have been good for 1000, equally 3.

                Enough already
                Greg

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jim mcgrath <jimmsd@...> wrote:

                > Try these guys. A moto chop shop in Ohio US that I've got parts from on numerous occations. You can call them for specific items
                >
                > http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pinwall_cycle_parts/
                >

                > > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                > > From: ltgesq@...
                > > Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 19:16:41 -0400
                > > Subject: Re: [T TBS R] Re: Obsolete parts
                > >
                > > Triumph has a nasty habit of "superceding" obsolete parts with parts that don't fit. I discovered this when trying to replace a couple of fairing bolts. The black ones are obsolete, and the silver ones listed as replacements are both the wrong size and wrong thread.
                > >

                > > Luther T. Garcia
                > > ltgesq@...
                > >

                > > On Oct 1, 2010, at 6:33 PM, glgavin wrote:
                > >
                > > > Give a look at http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-triumph-motorcycle-thunderbird-sport/o/m17585
                > > >
                > > > The swingarm innards should be common amoung the Classic T3 models which stop production in 2004 with the final TBS. In the US that should mean that bits are suspose to be available till 2014.
                > > >
                > > > Gary
                > > > 98 Thunderbird Sport
                > > > 07 Mini Cooper s
                > > > 85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
                > > > Currently in Napa, CA

              • Greg French
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
                  Triumph have said the sleeve for the Swing Arm is obsolete and will not be available in the future.

                  Any ideas?

                  I am dubious about sourcing this from Bike Breakers as a failed seal and/or the average wear on the sleeve will now put it at about the limit for useful life.

                  I need a new part number for the same article! I am sure there must be one.

                  Greg