Fuel overflowing

  • Peter T
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2010
      2000 tbs. Recently it's been more frequent that one of my carbs float valves must not be seating as on idle it starts stumbling running rich pon one carb bank then if I shut off the bike it pours fuel out the over flow. It's intermittent and if I rap on the carbs with a soft hammer it clears up. Should I just replace the float valves (the ones with the rubber tip). Or are there other items I should do as well. Float heights are correct carbs are spotless and bike is low Mileage (under 7,000).

      Thanks!
    • Wayne Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2010
        It appears you have a needle or three sticking yep replace all three and dont forget to get new bowl gaskets.

        2000 tbs.  Recently it's been more frequent that one of my carbs float valves must not be seating as on idle it starts stumbling running rich pon one carb bank then if I shut off the bike it pours fuel out the over flow. It's intermittent and if I rap on the carbs with a soft hammer it clears up. Should I just replace the float valves (the ones with the rubber tip). Or are there other items I should do as well. Float heights are correct carbs are spotless and bike is low Mileage (under 7,000).

        Thanks!

      • James Tennier
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
          For those of you that park for extended periods or just seem to have "fuel"
          issues, try STA-BIL fuel conditioner. With Battery Tender and STA-BIL, I can
          leave my '03 set for months while I ride it's younger brother, an '08 Sprint and
          the old girl starts every time. Amazing. This solution might help clean the
          needle/ seats in your case too. Worth a try. Jim T. Reno

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2010
            Yes I typically do the same although admit that this year I was a little lax on using the stabil. She always fires though. Gotta say this bike isn't afraid of cold starts. I ordered new float needles anyway after 10 years figure it's a cheap insurance. But I will run some Sea Foam in the next tank full to see if it clears up then go back to stabil.

            THANKS!