Question of front fork reseal

  • Wayne Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
      One of my front forks  developed a bad leak this weekend an needs to be resealed. I took a look at my manual and it looks pretty straight forward except they shows this tool for servicing that has a sliding tube for setting up the fluid level. Do I need this tool or does anybody know the amount of fluid to add. My bike is a 98 TBS running the Adjustable Kayaba forks. Am also open to any tips and/or shortcuts to make this easier.

      Thanks

    • jim mcgrath
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
        I have leak also, my mechanic said I could pull forks and bring in to shop to save $

        To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
        From: connorblk@...
        Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:42:20 -0700
        Subject: [T TBS R] Question of front fork reseal

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
          I did this recently (on a '96 Daytona with the Kayaba forks) and it went
          very smooth. Two of the tools were very easy to make.

          1) Sliding hammer (I think it is called something else but it is used to
          seat the seals in the lower portion of the Fork Leg. This can easily be made
          from a piece of PVC tubing, search it on the web (that's where I found it)
          easy to make and easy to use.

          2) The tool to adjust the fluid level. I used a plastic tube and a large
          syringe. There are many for sale on Ebay but really they are just a tube
          with a measurement mark on it . Essentially you over fill the fork and then
          suck out what you don't use.

          I was pretty shocked how easy it was.

          Wes

          > I have leak also, my mechanic said I could pull forks and bring in to shop
          > to save $
          >

          > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          > From: connorblk@...
          > Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:42:20 -0700
          > Subject: [T TBS R] Question of front fork reseal
          >

          > One of my front forks developed a bad leak this weekend an needs to be
          > resealed. I took a look at my manual and it looks pretty straight forward
          > except they shows this tool for servicing that has a sliding tube for
          > setting up the fluid level. Do I need this tool or does anybody know the
          > amount of fluid to add. My bike is a 98 TBS running the Adjustable Kayaba
          > forks. Am also open to any tips and/or shortcuts to make this easier.
          >
          > Thanks

        • jim mcgrath
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
            wow, I'm doing my own now, thanx w3w

            To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

            > I have leak also, my mechanic said I could pull forks and bring in to shop
            > to save $
            >

            > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
            > From: connorblk@...
            > Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:42:20 -0700
            > Subject: [T TBS R] Question of front fork reseal
            >

            > One of my front forks developed a bad leak this weekend an needs to be
            > resealed. I took a look at my manual and it looks pretty straight forward
            > except they shows this tool for servicing that has a sliding tube for
            > setting up the fluid level. Do I need this tool or does anybody know the
            > amount of fluid to add. My bike is a 98 TBS running the Adjustable Kayaba
            > forks. Am also open to any tips and/or shortcuts to make this easier.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Wayne Baker
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
              Thanks that is the info I needed.
              I guess I am kinda of the sort that would rather not pay to have work done that I can do myself. That is one reason I bought the factory manual when I bought this bike.

              Wayne