Chain adjustment

  • gobi_1999
    Message 1 of 7 , May 25, 2010
      I have been unsuccessful in three attempts to adjust my chain.
      The first adjustment was performed without using a stand, the other two using a Pitbull stand. In each case, however, the final adjustment is the same. When I move the wheel and find the tightest section of chain it is quite snug with .5-.75" of travel. When I find the loosest section of chain I find that I have 1.5 - 1.75" of travel. The '98 TBS has 16K on it and I don't know the status of the chain or sprockets but assume that they are original issue. According to the owner's manual the adjustment is made after locating the tightest section, which I have done. My actual adjustment (to tighten) was only a half a hash mark. I haven't done any of the other measurements to determine if the chain is already stretched because I still can't understand how there can be such a variation in the chain to begin with. I'm at the third hash mark from the last on the adjuster. I have watched the chain as it is engaged by the sprocket and see no irregularities in the links.
      I'm beginning to think maybe it's time for a new chain and sprockets because I can't think of anything else to do, hence this post; any comments or insights will be welcomed. Thanks, Jimmy Hudson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2010
        It sounds like you have come to the correct conclusion.

        --On May 26, 2010 1:14:49 AM +0000 gobi_1999 <j.jhudson@...> wrote:

        > I'm beginning to think maybe it's time for a new chain and sprockets because
        > I can't think of anything else to do, hence this post; any comments or
        > insights will be welcomed.

      • Niles Reichardt
        Message 3 of 7 , May 25, 2010
          On May 25, 2010, at 6:14 PM, gobi_1999 wrote:

          > I'm beginning to think maybe it's time for a new chain and sprockets because I can't think of anything else to do, hence this post; any comments or insights will be welcomed. Thanks, Jimmy Hudson

          Jimmy-
          I think that is how it goes. No need to adjust until the chain is knackered and then you can't adjust it often enough.

        • stowcreek62
          Message 4 of 7 , May 26, 2010
            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "gobi_1999" <j.jhudson@...> wrote:

            > I have been unsuccessful in three attempts to adjust my chain.
            gobi,

            Yea, definitely ready for a new chain, then a sprocket inspection. FYI, I have 52k on my '96 Trophy 900 with orig sprockets. Got 18k on my 1st chain though I've heard some have gotten over 20k. Would really have to be meticulous with maintenance to get that many mi on a chain.

            In reference to the variance in slack measurement (.75"-1.75"), that is caused by links binding (not pivoting) due to dirt/grime over a period of time. After being lubed/dirty/lubed again, links just don't pivot properly after a while. I even had a 'click' sound that would happen every time the link that was not pivoting got half-way around the front sprocket. This was on a chain which had well under 10k mi on it.

            On oiling, do it when you shut the bike off after riding. The chain is hot and oil penetration is better.

            flattrack42
          • John Shaw
            Message 5 of 7 , May 26, 2010
              I've got 52k (kilometres) on mine and it is just starting to be off centre a
              bit. I figure there is lots more use to be had still.
              I would have thought 20k (miles) would be a minimum to be expected?
              _____

              <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , "gobi_1999"

              Message 6 of 7 , May 26, 2010
                > I would have thought 20k (miles) would be a minimum to be expected?

                With the caveat that I had a Scottoiler mounted on the bike before I took delivery...I've got 26K miles on the original chain and sprockets on my '00 TBS. Just adjusted the chain this past weekend, and everything's still free wheeling and working fine.
                Message 7 of 7 , May 26, 2010
                  > It sounds like you have come to the correct conclusion.

                  Agreed.