Re: Gearbox problems

  • Mario Zarnich
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2010
      Overhaul needed at 45k miles, on aa T3 Triumph,  are you kidding? A friend of mine has a sweeeet and strong running TBird with over 100k miles on it. You should be able to just get your bent shift fork (or...?) fixed and be done with it.

      Timing chain replacement at 30k? Thats waaaay premature too. Replacment of the timing chain tensioner blade is best done before 50k but the chain shoudl still be fine for many many many more miles than that.

      The T3 triumph motors are understressed and overbuilt, they typically run for a loooooong time without needign overhaul or major repair.  I've seen ones with double + the mileage you've got, that are ridden hard,  and no timing chain problems or major repair history.

      > Gearbox Problems.
      > Posted by: "Andrew" adjenkins@...   adjenkinsuk
      >
      > Oh well, sorting out the temperature warning light is now the least of my
      > problems...
      > ...He's happy to look at it for me and mentioned the timing chain change at 30,000
      > miles. She's done 45,000, he said I was very lucky I haven't jumped a tooth on the
      > timing gears yet.
      > Looks like I'm forking out for a full overhaul then. Well to be fair aside from little
      > issues this is my first big problem, not bad for 45,000 miles.
      >
      > Andy. 1999 TBS Yellow/Black.

      Mario

      Speed Freak's Performance Motorcycles

      Atlanta's European Bike Night (EBN)
      Atlanta's Triumph Motorcycle Club

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2010
        Well, I had the bike back Friday. After two days at the garage it now has a nice new gearbox & clutch, timing chain & tensioner and big-end shells.

        The mechanic had no idea what caused the damage but you can see what happened in the photos section (Andy's Album - Gears.jpg). The best he's come up with was the selector fork snapped off, momentarily jammed the gear and caused what you can see.

        Anyway, the bike is sounding smooth and sweet now. The gear changes are better than they've ever been since I've owned it. The only down side is the £730 dent in my bank account.

        Andy.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2010
          > The mechanic had no idea what caused the damage but you can see
          > what happened in the photos section (Andy's Album - Gears.jpg).

          Youch! You're very lucky the bike didn't lock the rear wheel and dump you.
        • Andrew Jenkins
          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2010
            petermholmes wrote:

            > > The mechanic had no idea what caused the damage but you can see
            > > what happened in the photos section (Andy's Album - Gears.jpg).
            >
            > Youch! You're very lucky the bike didn't lock the rear wheel and dump you.

            Yeah, I know. Luckily the problems had started the day before when I
            couldn't change up to third or above. So I was on my way to the garage
            with only the two gears when it let go. I was only doing about 25mph so
            all I got was a lovely crunching sound and a sudden jolt. I had to call
            back there today (slight oil leak from the top engine cover) and they
            had a 2007 Rocket III up on the ramp. He'd suffered a very similar
            problem to me, a gear had shattered or similar. The difference was he
            was doing about 90mph when it went, we were looking at his gear-shaft
            before they removed the engine, they just pulled it all out through the
            5" hole in the side of the engine casing! Luckily the guy was unhurt, he
            didn't come off just rolled to a stop (and started crying I bet).

            Andy.