Flooding while engine off

  • Niles Reichardt
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2010
      > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
      > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
      > this is the petcock and took it apart and don't see
      > anything that's "servicable" Other than the outer
      > rubber gasket. I could just shut the fuel off
      > everytime buy I like the convenience of the auto
      > shut off. Any ideas or will I just need to replace the
      > entire unit? Anyone know what this sucker runs?

      Pete-
      I don't think these bikes have a vacuum fuel tap, so manual shut off is the only way. Problem is more likely that one or more of the carb floats is sticking or there is crud under the needle valve. You can try rapping them with a screwdriver handle and try to unstick them. You can also drain the float bowls with a 7mm hex and maybe flush out the crud.

    • Peter T
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2010
        Funny I've never had to turn the fuel valve off (and I usually only do so over the winter) and you are probably correct about the stuck float. Since I'm already servicing the airbox I will give the carbs a look, Bike runs fantastic but this is a new event...and my turn signals also stopped working all of a sudden..all other lights function fine...Argh. THANKS!

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Niles Reichardt <nlr@...> wrote:

        > > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
        > > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
        > > this is the petcock and took it apart and don't see
        > > anything that's "servicable" Other than the outer
        > > rubber gasket. I could just shut the fuel off
        > > everytime buy I like the convenience of the auto
        > > shut off. Any ideas or will I just need to replace the
        > > entire unit? Anyone know what this sucker runs?
        >
        > Pete-
        > I don't think these bikes have a vacuum fuel tap, so manual shut off is the only way. Problem is more likely that one or more of the carb floats is sticking or there is crud under the needle valve. You can try rapping them with a screwdriver handle and try to unstick them. You can also drain the float bowls with a 7mm hex and maybe flush out the crud.

      • triumphsporttbird
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2010
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T" <tbsbiker2@...> wrote:

          > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
          > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
          > this is the petcock and took it apart and don't see
          > anything that's "servicable" Other than the outer
          > rubber gasket. I could just shut the fuel off
          > everytime buy I like the convenience of the auto
          > shut off. Any ideas or will I just need to replace the
          > entire unit? Anyone know what this sucker runs?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Peter
          > 2000 tbs

          Get a Pingel. Worked for me. http://www.pingelonline.com/powerflo.htm
        • Gary Gavin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2010
            I have always had to turn my fuel tap off. I took the tap apart and cleaned
            it, looked for possible wear issues. I have disassembled and cleaned the
            carbs twice. I still have to turn the fuel tap off. As mentioned a
            replacement Pingle seems to be the best solution.

            00 Tiger
            07 Mini Cooper S
            85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
            Oahu, Hawaii

          • triumphsporttbird
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2010

              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                YUP, probably where I'm at now, it's not a big deal just something I've not experienced yet and I'm not spending north of $100 to get a new OEM fuel tap. THANKS everyone.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                  > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
                  > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
                  > this is the petcock

                  It's the carb, Pete.
                • Peter T
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 17, 2010
                    Agreed. I've got the bike stripped going to address the carb tomorrow. I do use
                    stabil And I drained the carbs! Oh well stuff happens. Next I need to figure
                    out why no turn signals or hazards.

                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
                    > > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
                    > > this is the petcock
                    >
                    > It's the carb, Pete.

                  • James Tennier
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 18, 2010
                      Bad float, leaking so that bowl is filled with gas allowing needle to let gas continue to flow...
                      Take a screw driver to every electrical connection you can reach and try to tighten/ move each connection, thereby crushing just that slight amount of corrosion that builds up over time between dis-similar metals.

                      ________________________________
                      Agreed. I've got the bike stripped going to address the carb tomorrow. I do use
                      stabil And I drained the carbs! Oh well stuff happens. Next I need to figure
                      out why no turn signals or hazards.

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > > Bike runs great but the carbs are flooding into the overflow
                      > > once I shut the bike off and it sits for a minute or two. I assume
                      > > this is the petcock
                      >
                      > It's the carb, Pete.

                    • Peter T
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 19, 2010
                        got everything apart, all float bowls look pretty darn clean, no varnish or gum or dirt so I will have to assume the float got hung up since I had drained the carbs for storage and probaly wasn't moving freely. So they get a good cleaning anyway, airbox was pretty dirty and will then reassemble and assume all should be OK. I should note that the float bowl gaskets looked really dried up so I ordered new ones before putting it all back together. Connections to turn signal
                        fuse were not fully engauged.

                        THANKS!

                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, James Tennier <tennier@...> wrote:

                        > Bad float, leaking so that bowl is filled with gas allowing needle to let gas continue to flow...
                        > Take a screw driver to every electrical connection you can reach and try to tighten/ move each connection, thereby crushing just that slight amount of corrosion that builds up over time between dis-similar metals.

                      • kc10a_chief
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 24, 2010
                          I agree with Niles, this is a carb issue as the petcock is not vacuum operated. I suggest pulling the carbs and cleaning the float needle seats and checking the needles for wear. I clean the seats with a Q-tip and valve grinding compound, then rinse with carb cleaner. If the needles tips are deformed or dried up, they cost about $10 US (each)to replace.

                          Steve C.