Temperature Warning Light.

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , May 4, 2010
      My over-temp light has been glowing dimly for a few months now and I think it's about time I sorted it out (just in case we get any kind of summer this year in the UK...Ha!)

      I did a quick search on here and found reference to remaking a poor earth connection in Message #12081. The service bulletin mentioned is no longer available.

      I don't suppose anyone here knows where this earth point is that has gone high resistance?

      Andy.
    • John Shaw
      Message 2 of 22 , May 4, 2010
        Is this worse when the bike is hot and in stop and go traffic? Does your fan
        come on when your stop and go in the city?
        The fan sensors are a weak design - I've put several in mine and they come
        on way too late and I've talked to a couple of other people with the same
        issue.
        If the fan is not coming on then try replacing the fan sensor with a new
        one, or I just wired a switch in and manually switch it on in slow traffic..
        John
        _____

        Message 3 of 22 , May 4, 2010
          "John Shaw" <horton@...> wrote:

          > Is this worse when the bike is hot and in stop and go traffic? Does your fan
          > come on when your stop and go in the city?
          > The fan sensors are a weak design - I've put several in mine and they come
          > on way too late and I've talked to a couple of other people with the same
          > issue.
          > If the fan is not coming on then try replacing the fan sensor with a new
          > one, or I just wired a switch in and manually switch it on in slow traffic..
          > John
          > _____

          No John, no overheating problems. The fan will start when sat for long periods in traffic but it will normally kick in just as the light begins to get a little brighter. The sensor side of things seems to be working as it should. I've looked at the wiring diagram and the system uses a simple comparator to trip the cooling fans and warning light. It's quite a common problem for this type of circuit to show the symptoms I'm getting because of a poor earth to the comparator module, what I've read seems to suggest this also.

          What I've been unable to find is the comparator module itself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

          Andy.
          Message 4 of 22 , May 4, 2010

            Message 5 of 22 , May 4, 2010
              Must be a different design than mine - my fan sensor has an on/off switch
              inside with no external circuit.

              _____

            • rpape1@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 22 , May 6, 2010
                Andy,
                I've already replaced my sensor once, but while I was at it I installed a small switch to bypass the sensor and turn on the fan when I need it. Living in Jacksonville, Florida I use it a lot from late March until mid December most. I have noticed that as the engine gets almost to the point where the fan kicks on the temp light will illuminate whenever I use the front brake lever. Haven't had a chance to figure that one out yet. The switch works great in city traffic.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 22 , May 6, 2010
                  Sounds like you have a bad ground on your temp switch and it is grounding back through your brake light switch.

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 7, 2010
                    The ground in the headlight is a known issue. Maybe that's what's getting you?
                  • Andrew Jenkins
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                      petermholmes wrote:

                      > The ground in the headlight is a known issue. Maybe that's what's
                      > getting you?
                      >
                      > _
                      I've read this somewhere before. Any idea which ground point or is there
                      only the one?

                      Andy.

                      --
                      Microsoft have broken Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made
                      22 million bugs!
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                        > I've read this somewhere before. Any idea which ground point or
                        > is there only the one?

                        I pretty sure there's only one in there. Haven't had the problem so I haven't looked.
                      • Andrew Jenkins
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                          petermholmes wrote:

                          > > I've read this somewhere before. Any idea which ground point or
                          > > is there only the one?
                          >
                          > I pretty sure there's only one in there. Haven't had the problem so I
                          > haven't looked.

                          Ok, this is getting silly. I'm supposed to be an electronics engineer
                          but this has me puzzled. The fact that the Haynes Manual seems to be
                          wrong doesn't help mind you.

                          I had a look inside the headlamp, there aren't any earth points just
                          four or five multi-connectors. I pulled each apart and checked the
                          contacts, all seem fine.

                          I then pulled the connector off the temp sensor on the cylinder-head,
                          the lamp stays illuminated dimly (suggesting the sensor isn't at fault)
                          also earthing the wire will bring
                          the lamp up brighter (although not a bright as I'd have expected). Both
                          these symptoms suggest a poor earth somewhere. The temp sensor has a
                          yellow/white wire which is
                          correct in the manual. This is shown feeding a fuel gauge (which of
                          course the TBS doesn't have). The gauge then feeds the lamp. The +ve to
                          the lamp is good.

                          This is where things go wrong. The +ve to the lamp is a solid brown wire
                          (as per the Haynes Manual) but the -ve switching feed is white with a
                          brown trace, the manual
                          shows it as a black wire coming from the fuel gauge! I'm guessing this
                          is some kind of comparator.

                          Tracing a fault when you've got duff information isn't the easiest,
                          although if any of you have ever seen a Honeywell Aircraft
                          manual...........

                          It's looking like there is a partial earth getting to that white/brown
                          wire, any ideas? I really need an accurate wiring diagram.

                          Andy.
                        • Gary Gavin
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 9, 2010
                            I have the Haynes Triples & Fours (carburetor engines) 91 - 99 manual (2162)
                            as well as the Triumph Service Manual Issue 7, 10/97. My Haynes manual has
                            different diagrams for the T3 variants same as the Triumph manual.
                            Apparently the fuel gauge was only available on a series of Trophy models.

                            I've located the only Service Bulletin I've seen that describes the
                            necessary repair for the ground, but it does refer to the Trophy model.
                            IIRC, when I had this issue the mechanic had to call Triumph to get some
                            additional verbal instructions to correct the problem. Eventually, all my
                            warning lights ended up blinking when using the flashers. The bulletin and
                            Haynes diagram has been uploaded to our files section in the Electrical
                            folder.

                            If I find out more I'll be sure to share.

                            00 Tiger
                            07 Mini Cooper S
                            85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
                            Oahu, Hawaii

                            Message 13 of 22 , May 10, 2010
                              > I really need an accurate wiring diagram.

                              Added the Triumph Service Manual wiring diagram (3 pages, jpeg) to the Files->Electrical folder.
                            • Andrew Jenkins
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                petermholmes wrote:

                                > > I really need an accurate wiring diagram.
                                >
                                > Added the Triumph Service Manual wiring diagram (3 pages, jpeg) to the
                                > Files->Electrical folder.
                                >
                                > _
                                Thanks guys for the advice. I eventually found the comparator module I
                                mentioned. It's buried inside the wiring loom coming out of the back of
                                the headlight going up to the instruments. It looks very much like this
                                was a after-thought fitted by Triumph after the wiring loom was
                                completed. It also seems that it was only on bikes sold in the UK, most
                                of you in America appear not to have it. I think the diagrams call it
                                the 'Fuel Gauge' as it has four wires, feed form the sensor, +ve and -ve
                                supplies and the output to the lamp. The colours are wrong though.

                                It's looking like it's gone faulty and as it's a solid resin-encased
                                module there's nothing to do with it. For now I've removed it and taken
                                the feed directly from the sensor to the lamp. It will mean the lamp
                                will start to glow dimly as the water heats up but as I'm in the UK it's
                                unlikely to come on much..:-) I used it all last week for work and it
                                only came on a bit once sat for 10mins in a traffic jam.

                                I'm going to make a new comparator, I may get creative and use a
                                bi-colour LED so that I can have it going from nothing to green to red
                                and finally flashing red as the temp climbs. Then again I'll probably
                                just keep it simple.

                                Andy.
                              • John Shaw
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                  Hi:

                                  The water has been boiling out of my battery, and a quick read with a
                                  voltmeter says ~half volt high (14.9). The schematic does not indicate any
                                  voltage adjustment and the manual gives no info (usual).
                                  Has anyone taken the alternator out, is there something
                                  adjustable/repairable inside?

                                  John

                                • Gary Gavin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                    AFAIK the fix is to install a maintenance free battery. I've had two
                                    standard lead acid batteries and got irked at what seemed like a weekly
                                    fluid topping. Put a maintenance free into it and enjoy your time riding.

                                    00 Tiger
                                    07 Mini Cooper S
                                    85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
                                    Oahu, Hawaii

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                      Glad you found it Andrew, even if it was no thanks to us (or me at least). :)
                                    • Craig
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                        That has been a problem with my '04 from day one. I just make it a point to add distilled water once a month during riding season and I have only been able to get the batteries to work for 2 years.

                                        I mis-routed the drain one time and ended up losing most of the chrome on my pipe, luckily found a replacement set of off-road pipes on e-bay for a great price.

                                        If there is a solutions I would love to hear it, But I am afraid the solution is to replace the expensive alternator. I can buy a lifetime supply of batteries for that cost.

                                        Craig

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 16, 2010
                                          AGM Battery is GOOD!!!

                                          Kawasaki ZRX and Concours 1000 use the same alternator and they list brushes,
                                          regulator and other parts for the alternator.

                                          The Regulator is very pricey though.

                                        • John Shaw
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 17, 2010
                                            Hum..... My problem only became apparent after replacing the original
                                            battery which only required water once a year, so it may well have been
                                            there from the beginning with me too and got worse with a new battery less
                                            resistant.
                                            I guess I could buy an AGM battery, which cannot boil the water off, but I
                                            do like to fix things at the source and this begins to sound like (yet
                                            another) electrical defect in the design. I'll play around with it a bit, a
                                            diode would knock it down about the right amount.

                                            ________________________________

                                            From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                            <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 24, 2010
                                              I gave up on lead acid batteries several years ago and went with AGM; very happy. Check your charging system first though to be sure it's not overcharging. I believe it should be a little under 15 VDC at or near 3K RPM.

                                              Steve C.

                                            • John Shaw
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 25, 2010
                                                AGM batteries are also lead acid - just a different plate construction.
                                                14.4 is the most you should constantly charge a battery with - a little
                                                under 15 will overcharge any battery. The AGMs are more resistant than some
                                                others, but they are sealed and even they may outgas and there would be no
                                                way to replace the water with an AGM. They should have designed the
                                                alternator properly.

                                                _____

                                                I gave up on lead acid batteries several years ago and went with AGM; very
                                                happy. Check your charging system first though to be sure it's not
                                                overcharging. I believe it should be a little under 15 VDC at or near 3K
                                                RPM.

                                                Steve C.

                                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                                                <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com> , "John Shaw"