TB ergos

  • JBeasty
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2010
      Any one ever swap out the pegs/linkage for the more relaxed ergos from a standard Thunderbird?

      Thanks, JB
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2010
        That's been done before.

        Your shift pattern will be reversed.
        to:
        1 up 5 down.

        Thank You,
        Denny

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2010
          > Your shift pattern will be reversed.
          > to:
          > 1 up 5 down.

          In other words, correct. :) Now if only they'd put it on the proper side...
        • JBeasty
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
            Really?! Just to be clear - I'm talking about switching out the shift linkage from say an 01 Thunderbird to an 01 Thunderbird Sport. From the pictures I've seen, the frames and all look very similar - like I'd just be moving the pegs forward roughly 2-3", and down a tad. Is the linkage THAT different?

            JB

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2010
                Yes Really!
                TBird vs TBS
                The shifter shaft rotates in the opposite direction

                You can fix that if you want to swap some internal transmission parts.
                I believe that requires splitting the cases. The main part is the shifter drum.
                And maybe a few other little parts.

                You can put the TBS rearsets on a TBird because you can flip the lever over
                upside down, that also requires some change to the exhaust because it
                interferes.

                But since the TBird lever bolts directly to the shift shaft you cannot change
                the direction that the linkage moves.

                It all bolts up just fine, but moving them from a TBird to a TBS will reverse
                the shift pattern. I have one of each sitting in my Garage and have examined
                it very carefully.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2010
                  Ah, I see now. Looks like no linkage at all with the TB (standard). I was hoping for the brakes and performance of the TBS, with the ergos of the TB. Would probably be easier to start with a TB, then work on the brakes and performance. Either way, a lot of work. Thanks for the insight you guys.

                  JB

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22, 2010
                    > Looks like no linkage at all with the TB (standard).

                    There ya go. :)