Re: [T TBS R] When you have a flat tire?

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
      > My normal method of getting home when I've got a puncture is to
      > call the RAC..:-)

      AAA here. :) That being said, on long trips I also pack a can of Fix-A-Flat.
    • BRAD LEWALLEN
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2010
        I had a flat in the middle of nowhere Arkansas about 500 miles from home. I thought I was prepared. I had tire levers, spare tube, center stand, C02 cartridges, knowledge, and 4 friends. I am here to tell you, that was a character builder. We worked on that tire for about 3 hours. The hardest part was breaking the bead. The tire levers I had were the smallest ones I could find (to save space of course) and we bent them almost immediately. We finally figured out you can break the bead using another bikes side stand and some t-shirts to protect the rim on the ground. once we got the bead broken, it was hard work to get one side of the tire off the rim, and just as hard to get it back on. A couple of times I thought I may have punctured the new tube while putting the bead back on. The tube was fine in the end. I'm not sure what I would have done had I been alone. As it was, I bought all the drinks for my buddies that night.
        There has to something out there to deal with breaking the bead on sport tires if you are alone. Anyone have any experience changing a TBS tire solo?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
          Triumph Thunderbird Sport Riders - Gotta love this bike!On my 1966 BMW R60: I put the thing up on the center stand, swing up the hinged rear fender, pull the axle, yank off the wheel, break the bead with the heel of my foot, replace the tube, put it back together again with tools in the kit that came with the bike and then pump it up with the pump that came with the bike, all this in about 30 minutes time while sitting along the side the road.

          On my 2004 TBS: I'm still trying to figure out how to break the bead. Had to buy a tire changer that mounts to the garage floor to change tires but that doesn't help me out on the road.

          So here is what to do: Buy a $4600 sidecar. Mine is a Watsonian GP Jubilee. Now I'm saving up the damn $1200 I need to buy a spare rear wheel, tire & tube for the SOB. Then I'll do like the Beemer sidehack guys do and mount it to the trunk lid of the sidecar. Only then will I consider taking the thing for an extended trip away from home. Personally I think it's a pathetic situation when we have gotten so damn bogged down in technology that we can no longer change a damn flat tire and have to have a motorcycle towed. This is not the independence I wanted and achieved when I purchased my first motorcycle back in 1963. The TBS is a lot of fun to ride without the side car, but so is my BMW '69 R69S without all the worries.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
            > Only then will I consider taking the thing for an extended
            > trip away from home.

            That's a little overboard, don't you think? I haven't had a single flat in well over 50K on modern tires.

            > Personally I think it's a pathetic situation when we have gotten
            > so damn bogged down in technology that we can no longer change a
            > damn flat tire and have to have a motorcycle towed.

            Agreed.

            > The TBS is a lot of fun to ride without the side car, but so is my
            > BMW '69 R69S without all the worries.

            I thought that too, until my R50 had a leeeetttlle tiny break in one of the wires in the alternator. Bike wouldn't start, and price of the replacement part IN 1975 was US$250.00 (to put it in perspective, at the time a rebuilt Chrysler alternator cost $US30.00). Superglue worked wonders, but the bike was out of my garage ASAP.

            Don't get me wrong; I like most BMW products. It's just that they're usually no more satisfying than and every bit as expensive to maintain as an American wife.