remap of igniter assembly

  • HYPNO TOAD
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 2:19 PM
      I have (2) '98 TBS's which is a HUGE help doing easter egg diagnostics.
      Found that my stock TBS was not firing #3 cylinder.
      Swapped coils and did not change so I assumed carb was glazed. Bike had sat for 5 years.
      Thought to check igniter assembly but 2 mechanics and some buddies thought this was highly unlikely. Should of swapped them out anyway. Just bought carb assembly, was cheap so nice for spares.
      Bike runs better than my other one.

      I was told I could possibly get igniter (computer) "re-mapped" (re-install software). This would be a lot more cost effective than hunting down another, they list at $750 on Bike Bandit.
    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 9:53 AM
        >I was told I could possibly get igniter (computer) "re-mapped" (re-install
        software). This would be a lot more cost >effective than hunting down
        another, they list at $750 on Bike Bandit.

        Wow, interesting idea. I can do that on my Tiger. Reinstalling the "map"
        on that machine has improved its behavior.

        00 Tiger
        07 Mini Cooper S
        85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
        Oahu, Hawaii

      • jim mcgrath
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6 11:28 AM
          Funny, suggestion came from my mate who owns a Tiger, he had same results as you.

          Went to my mechanic this morn, "re-map" is for fuel inj.

          Found a good computer from salvage outfit in Ohio for $150 (thass what I'm talkin bout)

          For anyone interested, they just parted out a perfectly good '03 and parts are penny's on the dollar. They're on e-bay. They video'd bike running prior to break-down.

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Thunderbird-Sport-CARBURETOR-CARBS-VIDEOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519196c003QQitemZ350334926851QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          From: triumph@...
          Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 06:53:54 -1000
          Subject: RE: [T TBS R] remap of igniter assembly

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6 5:02 PM
            Great link! I used it to grab a couple of flasher units.