Re: [T TBS R] Recommended Tires

  • Wayne Baker
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 18, 2010
      +1 on the storms. I put a set on my 98 and they work great even in the rain. I put about 3500 miles on them last summer still look great.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
        I'd second that on the BT-021s. The back esp is much better in the wet (the
        stock Avon's were mighty slick some days with no groove in the middle) as
        well and I found it transitioned into corners a lot more predictably. Price
        was decent too.
        _____

        From: eric_schupp <ericschupp@hotmail. <mailto:ericschupp%40hotmail.com>
        com>

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
          > +1 on the storms. I put a set on my 98 and they work great even
          > in the rain. I put about 3500 miles on them last summer still
          > look great.

          Ditto here. Love'm.
        • Norm Bour
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
            Make that a third on the BT's. I get over 10K miles and am ready for my
            third set.

            alohanorm

            From: triumphthunderbirds

            ________________________________
            From: eric_schupp <ericschupp@hotmail. <mailto:ericschupp%40hotmail.com>
            com>

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 20, 2010
              I've got 8000 on the Storms and they still look great.

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2010
                Tires are an interesting subject. In the county next to me here in south jersey, they oil and cinder many of their back roads. That has to have a different effect on wear than perfectly smooth black-top, I'd think. Maybe less wear, maybe more. Who knows?
                So, if I did 80% of my riding in that county instead of where I live, I may not get the same mileage with the same tires. Then, there's concrete slabs, which tend to be abrasive. And of course the heat factor comes into play if you ride in warm weather year-round. I suppose compounds for different manufacturers are slightly different, too, so the Bridgestone that didn't do well in a certain area may do better somewhere else, and the Avon that did might not. Did I mention tire inflation? I think I read under-inflated tires get hotter than properly inflated tires. I might have that one backwards, or maybe I made that up.

                The whole tire deal is like which oil to use, or, was Chamberlain or Russell the best center. In that case, it was of course Chamberlain. Russell just played for the better team, usually. Then again, maybe the Celtics were better because of Bill Russell.

                Fun to talk about, anyway. I just ride, and when they wear out, I go get new ones.

                flattrack42

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Bour" <normb1@...> wrote:

                > Make that a third on the BT's. I get over 10K miles and am ready for my
                > third set.
                >
                > alohanorm

              • adjenkinsuk
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2010
                  I switched from Avon Storms to Bridgestone Battlax BT-021s last time. I found the rear Avon would only be lasting me around 5000 miles. The Bridgestone has now done 2000 and looks nearly new. We'll just have to see if it goes another 3000 or more. I did find the Bridgestone front gives a much quicker turn-in to bends too, but that may just have been the 'new tyre thing'.

                  Andy J.