New TBS owner !!!

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
      I just purchased a like new 2000 TBS and drove it just a little over last weekend. Awesome bike, and I can't wait to get back on it this weekend.

      The bike came only with the solo seat and seat cowl. I also need to source a two-up seat, and would much prefer the classic bench style as opposed to what is offered by Corbin, or the King and Queen seat, etc.

      Will any Thunderbird seat work,or does it have to be a TBS seat? Any ideas where I can find one or what other options I have?

      Thanks!

      Tom W.
    • jim Bousman
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
        Thunderbird and TBS seats have different locations for the rear latch pin. You can modify (move) the pin on the early seat to match the location on your bike. Let me know if you want to sell your solo seat.

        JimBo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
          I have a '99 and it IS a great machine.

          alohanorm

          _____

          I just purchased a like new 2000 TBS and drove it just a little over last
          weekend. Awesome bike, and I can't wait to get back on it this weekend.

          The bike came only with the solo seat and seat cowl. I also need to source a
          two-up seat, and would much prefer the classic bench style as opposed to
          what is offered by Corbin, or the King and Queen seat, etc.

          Will any Thunderbird seat work,or does it have to be a TBS seat? Any ideas
          where I can find one or what other options I have?

          Thanks!

          Tom W.

          13:26:00

        • Niles Reichardt
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2010
            On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Thomas wrote:

            > Any ideas where I can find one or what other options I have?

            Tom-
            I have a gently used TBS stock seat if you are interested in a trade or purchase. I replaced it with a Sprint Manufacturing seat on my '98 TBS soon after buying it, so it is just sitting on a shelf.

            Let me know if you are interested.

            Niles

            Niles Reichardt DVM
            Laboratory Information Systems Manager
            Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
            nlr@...

          • Richard Fenner
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 7, 2010
              Hey Niles,

              How's things, my friend? Long time no see.....

              Richard (in Vancouver).

              > On Mar 5, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Thomas wrote:
              >
              >> Any ideas where I can find one or what other options I have?
              >

              > Tom-
              > I have a gently used TBS stock seat if you are interested in a trade or
              > purchase. I replaced it with a Sprint Manufacturing seat on my '98 TBS
              > soon after buying it, so it is just sitting on a shelf.
              >
              > Let me know if you are interested.
              >
              > Niles
              >

              > Niles Reichardt DVM
              > Laboratory Information Systems Manager
              > Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
              > nlr@...

            • Niles Reichardt
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 8, 2010
                On Mar 7, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Richard Fenner wrote:

                > Hey Niles,
                >
                > How's things, my friend? Long time no see.....

                Richard, how are you mate? In Vancouver, I thought that you had gone expat down under or somewhere? Any chance you might make Nelson this year? I'll buy you a Rusty Nail if you do.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2010
                  Maybe, buddy, maybe. Still have to head to Oz but am eyeing an Aprilia
                  Futura right now. (Sorry - I know that's sacrilege here but after two TBS
                  crashes, one which nearly terminated me, I want something the blind bloody
                  tin can drivers can SEE!!)

                  If I'm back, we'll do that - and I'll reciprocate.....;>)

                  Stay well and safe, pal.

                  Richard.

                  > On Mar 7, 2010, at 10:29 PM, Richard Fenner wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hey Niles,
                  >>
                  >> How's things, my friend? Long time no see.....
                  >

                  > Richard, how are you mate? In Vancouver, I thought that you had gone expat
                  > down under or somewhere? Any chance you might make Nelson this year? I'll
                  > buy you a Rusty Nail if you do.
                  >

                  > Niles Reichardt DVM
                  > Laboratory Information Systems Manager
                  > Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
                  > nlr@...

                • Stephen Bowman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                    Actually there is no latch pin at all on a stock thunderbird seat, the bolt
                    on with two bolts screwed into the ends of the frame tubes under the rear of
                    the seat. I believe that the TBS has the threaded holes on the ends of the
                    frame tubes even thought they were not used from the factory, so if you had
                    a tbird seat and the bolts it shoud fit fine. Hope that helps.
                    -Bowman

                    I just purchased a like new 2000 TBS and drove it just a little over last
                    weekend. Awesome bike, and I can't wait to get back on it this weekend.

                    The bike came only with the solo seat and seat cowl. I also need to source
                    a two-up seat, and would much prefer the classic bench style as opposed to
                    what is offered by Corbin, or the King and Queen seat, etc.

                    Will any Thunderbird seat work,or does it have to be a TBS seat? Any ideas
                    where I can find one or what other options I have?

                    Thanks!

                    Tom W.

                    essageNum=13731
                    Please do not reply to this message via email. More information here:
                    http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/messages/messages-23.html
                  • Wayne Baker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                      Maybe on the earlier models my 98 has the release and pin set up.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                        My 2000 has a pin.

                        _____

                        Maybe on the earlier models my 98 has the release and pin set up.

                        --- On Wed, 3/10/10, Stephen Bowman <s_a_bowman@comcast.

                        From: Stephen Bowman <s_a_bowman@comcast. <mailto:s_a_bowman%40comcast.net>
                        net>
                        To: no_reply@yahoogroup <mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
                        triumphthunderbirds <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
                        portriders@yahoogroups.com

                        From: Thomas <tlwoodman@yahoo. <mailto:tlwoodman%40yahoo.com> com>
                        I just purchased a like new 2000 TBS and drove it just a little over last
                        weekend. Awesome bike, and I can't wait to get back on it this weekend.

                        The bike came only with the solo seat and seat cowl. I also need to source
                        a two-up seat, and would much prefer the classic bench style as opposed to
                        what is offered by Corbin, or the King and Queen seat, etc.

                        Will any Thunderbird seat work,or does it have to be a TBS seat? Any ideas
                        where I can find one or what other options I have?

                        Thanks!

                        Tom W.

                        m> yahoo.com/group/triumphthunderbirdsportriders/post?act=reply&m
                        essageNum=13731
                        Please do not reply to this message via email. More information here:
                        http://help.
                        <http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/messages/messages-23.html>
                        yahoo.com/help/us/groups/messages/messages-23.html

                      • Gary Gavin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10, 2010
                          I don't know about the last production run of Thunderbirds but the earlier
                          models and the TBS seat were attached the same way, a single pin into a
                          latch that is operated with a remote key lock located in the left cover
                          attached to the auxiliary chamber. The Corbin saddles listed as Thunderbird
                          95 - 97 are designed for this type of attachment. The orientation of the
                          latch pins were opposite of each other. In the past TBS owners have fitted
                          the Corbin saddle by reversing the latch pin.

                          http://www.corbin.com/triumph/tbird.shtml

                          Looking at the parts schematics for the Thunderbird at bikebandit.com there
                          was a change in the several parts at serial number 71699 and above. One of
                          those changes is switching from the earlier remote locking seat latch to the
                          bolt on style seat. I was unable to tell what year that took place. I
                          believe that the bolt on seat attachment was Triumph using up left over
                          Legend TT stock.

                          So if you are looking for a Thunderbird/Adventurer/Legend TT two up seat to
                          fit a TBS simply match up the attaching method.

                          00 Tiger
                          07 Mini Cooper S
                          85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
                          Oahu, Hawaii