Fwd: Perception ... something to think about...

  • goodnuph@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2009
      ____________________________________
      From: Gomorah711
      To: RArrendell, SoNiCdACrAzY1, cynnoel55@...,
      lindad1402002@..., CAPE1963, Bryan1295@..., Marthais61, hotlips49@...,
      BeeBeeBrown318, GoodNuph, Mattblack82, beemanrob@..., BeveSmith,
      JLSnurse, mommatimmy2@..., maty44@..., mtv@..., MODERNMOM1
      Sent: 12/6/2009 5:31:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
      Subj: Fwd: Perception ... something to think about...

      ____________________________________
      Subj: Perception ... something to think about...

      Perception ... something to think about...
      This should blow you away...

      Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man
      with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time
      approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their
      way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician
      playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried
      to meet his schedule.

      4 minutes later:
      The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the
      hat and, without stopping, continued to walk...

      6 minutes:
      A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his
      watch and started to walk again...

      10 minutes:

      A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The
      kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and
      the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was
      repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced
      their children to move on quickly.

      45 minutes:

      The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a
      short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal
      pace. The man collected a total of $32.

      1 hour:

      He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one
      applauded, nor was there any recognition.

      No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest
      musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever
      written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua
      Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

      This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station
      was organized by theWashington Post as part of a social experiment about
      perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a common
      place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we
      stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

      One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we
      do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in
      the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the
      most beautiful instruments ever made ... How many other things are we missing?

      .