choking

  • Norm Bour
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 16, 2009
      My '99 TBS does well as long the temp is over about 60 degrees at night. She
      sleeps in the garage and the choke is critical if it's even mildly chilly. I
      live in So. Cal. so I can go w/o using the choke till right about this time
      of year. I leave it on for about a mile, then she's fine.

      alohanorm

      From: Wayne Baker <connorblk@yahoo. <mailto:connorblk%40yahoo.com> com>
      From: triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com
      De: John Shaw <horton@adlib. <mailto:horton% 40adlib.ca> ca>
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 16, 2009
        Are you letting it warm up? Sounds like normal behavior to me.

        Todd 98tbs

        On Nov 16, 2009, at 4:10 AM, javier_delmoral wrote:

        > I am having these days a strange behaviour in my TBS. It starts but
        > during the first minutes it "coughs" when I am accelerating, making
        > it hard to speed up (I have to engage higher to avoid the coughing
        > and stay at speed). After several minutes (i.e. the engine is warmed
        > up) the coughing disappears and the machine runs perfect.
        >
        > I think it is to be related to battery-ignitor-spark issues, but
        > maybe you will have experienced this before and you will now
        > something that I don't.
        >
        > Thanks in advance

      • Javier Del Moral
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 16, 2009
          Well, thanks guys. It must be what you say. I own the TBS for two years now and before I was leaving the bike in a colder place at night, thus obliging me to choke everytime in winter. But since summer I relocated it and even put on a mattress overnight, with the result of the bike starting easily now without the choke.

          Thanks again. I will sleep better today.
          Javier

          ________________________________
          Are you letting it warm up? Sounds like normal behavior to me.

          Todd 98tbs

          On Nov 16, 2009, at 4:10 AM, javier_delmoral wrote:

          > I am having these days a strange behaviour in my TBS. It starts but
          > during the first minutes it "coughs" when I am accelerating, making
          > it hard to speed up (I have to engage higher to avoid the coughing
          > and stay at speed). After several minutes (i.e. the engine is warmed
          > up) the coughing disappears and the machine runs perfect.
          >
          > I think it is to be related to battery-ignitor-spark issues, but
          > maybe you will have experienced this before and you will now
          > something that I don't.
          >
          > Thanks in advance

        • Nic
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
            Hi
            Something like that happened to me. It warmed up good, but after 15mins on the roa d it would cough and ran weak, like on 2 cylinders,when it cooled it ran fine again.I had the carbs checked and cleanedrefilled the radiator,and it returned after 15-20 mins into the ride I had to change the coils to nology coils, now it's good again.--look out the T-bird is back.

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "javier_delmoral" <javierdelmoral@...> wrote:

            > I am having these days a strange behaviour in my TBS. It starts but during the first minutes it "coughs" when I am accelerating, making it hard to speed up (I have to engage higher to avoid the coughing and stay at speed). After several minutes (i.e. the engine is warmed up) the coughing disappears and the machine runs perfect.
            >
            > I think it is to be related to battery-ignitor-spark issues, but maybe you will have experienced this before and you will now something that I don't.
            >
            > Thanks in advance

          • TERRY GINN ADVERTISING
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
               Good day...had similar problems in 2008.... it got continually worse... while riding to Myrtle beach from Ohio...the igniter lost one cylinder... ran 500 miles on two cylinders...every once in a while it kicked back in.   She was at dealer for two weeks as we mades sure and awaited the igniter.   Expensive repair... but since then...runs like a top.  Crossing my fingers she runs fine for 2010!

              Terry Ginn
              2001 Adventurer
              Kent, Ohio

              ________________________________

              Something like that happened to me. It warmed up good, but after 15mins on the roa d it would cough and ran weak, like on 2 cylinders,when it cooled it ran fine again.I had the carbs checked and cleanedrefilled the radiator,and it returned after 15-20 mins into the ride I had to change the coils to nology coils, now it's good again.--look out the T-bird is back.

              --- In triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com, "javier_delmoral" <javierdelmoral@ ...> wrote:

              > I am having these days a strange behaviour in my TBS. It starts but during the first minutes it "coughs" when I am accelerating, making it hard to speed up (I have to engage higher to avoid the coughing and stay at speed). After several minutes (i.e. the engine is warmed up) the coughing disappears and the machine runs perfect.
              >
              > I think it is to be related to battery-ignitor- spark issues, but maybe you will have experienced this before and you will now something that I don't.
              >
              > Thanks in advance

            • Javier Del Moral
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2010
                Hi, I had this problem before December. Finally it has turned out to have two main causes (up to now) : first, I took the bike to my local dealer and found that the air box was cracked; secondly, coughing happens whenever the engine is cold (due to the weather ot to a long pause).

                BR
                Javier

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Something like that happened to me. It warmed up good, but after 15mins on the roa d it would cough and ran weak, like on 2 cylinders,when it cooled it ran fine again.I had the carbs checked and cleanedrefilled the radiator,and it returned after 15-20 mins into the ride I had to change the coils to nology coils, now it's good again.--look out the T-bird is back.

                --- In triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com, "javier_delmoral" <javierdelmoral@ ...> wrote:

                > I am having these days a strange behaviour in my TBS. It starts but during the first minutes it "coughs" when I am accelerating, making it hard to speed up (I have to engage higher to avoid the coughing and stay at speed). After several minutes (i.e. the engine is warmed up) the coughing disappears and the machine runs perfect.
                >
                > I think it is to be related to battery-ignitor- spark issues, but maybe you will have experienced this before and you will now something that I don't.
                >
                > Thanks in advance

              • HYPNO TOAD
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6 6:02 PM
                  SOLVED SAME ISSUE ON MINE>>>>>>

                  I just posted on igniter problem, had same symptoms's as yours. Lucky for me I have (2) '98 models and can easter egg parts. Everyone told me it was NOT the igniter assembly. Swapped it out and problem was GONE.
                  I would pull spark plug wires one at a time to identify cylinder, then swap coils to see if problem follows the coil. Coil is a lot cheaper if that is your problem.
                  Just bought a used one off good salvage bike. Bike Bandit lists for $750, it would be cheaper from Rocket Motors in San Diego. That's where Bandit gets their parts. Check Craigs, that's where I found mine. Hope you got time to hunt one down, $750 is a bit much.

                  HYPNOTOAD