re: TBS leak

  • glenn.logan@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2009
      Bruce
      I had oil/gas coming out of the left carb intake boot. I bought my '00 new, and this happened in about '06. The problem is probably the petcock. My bike would not turn over, since the sump was filled with gas. I found pitting in the bore between the main/reserve stems which go up into the tank. It ran diagonally between them. You'll have to remove the petcock, then take out the on/off/reserve stem. you can look in the bore of the petcock body to see if that's your prob. The on/off stem was fine, btw.

      I drained the engine oil and out came oil/gas. I filled with cheap oil, let the bike run for awhile, then drained that b4 changing the filter and replacing with the correct oil.

      I thought it was strange that an alloy piece would be subject to pitting. Go figure!
      Glenn
    • Gary Gavin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
        Fuel in the oil was my first fear. I've read posts on other T-3 lists where
        they experienced hydro lock (IIRC) where the amount of raw fuel in the
        cylinder won't ignite and somehow locks the engine up. Others have had the
        fuel in the oil reduce lubrication and have bearing damage. I was concerned
        that somehow the pressure was high enough to break some bolts holding the
        head on or something.

        My oil smells and looks like 4500 miles. While I could see gas mixed with
        oil coming from the rubber I remained hopeful that it didn't fill the left
        hand cylinder. This is one of those rare times that only having a side
        stand may have been a blessing. Gravity kept the mix draining out the lower
        left of the left hand rubber. I put the bike on my paddock stand and I
        checked the oil through the sight glass. It look ok to me.

        I've been yearning to replace the OE tap with a Pingle unit. But it seems
        that my tap, when in the off position, is not allowing fuel to pass. Not a
        drip was produced while the tank was off the bike for three days. My
        problem must be with the floats and related bits.

        00 Tiger
        07 Mini Cooper S
        85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
        Oahu, Hawaii

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2009
          Is the TBS stock petcock serviceable? Keith 1998 TBS 44K mi.

          To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

          From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com