@#$%@& Sprag Gear

  • jim Bousman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      Yup, the #$%@& gear on my '95 Bird went out yesterday with a clackity, clackity, bang. I was two hours from home and I got the last grunt out of the starter to make it back. Today I call the two dealers in the area. One said "Gees, that's a lot of work! (meaning mucho $$$$$) Let me check and get back to you." . The other said, "Yup, I think I did one of those a long time ago. I'll look and see if I have a service manual on that one and get back to you." Neither of these guys sound promising or affordable.

      So I know it is a major deal splitting the cases and all. I also know some of you guys have done it on your own. I have a manual (in case dealer two needs one), step-by-step photos from the internet, a pail of wrenches, a bag of oil dry, a six pack of Smithwick's, moretime than money, and a more than moderate knowledge of motors ( I just rebuilt my '74 750 Tiger) Any words of advice? (other than more Smithwick's)

      JimBO