Brakes

  • martindaybell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26 1:09 AM
      Has anyboby any ideas on how to imporve the standard brakes on the TSB.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26 6:37 AM
        > Has anyboby any ideas on how to imporve the standard brakes
        > on the TSB.

        Other than the wooden feel of the rear brake, what's your issue? I haven't met a set of tires the front brakes can't outpower with two fingers.
      • The Dude
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 26 8:09 AM
          My breaks are killer and I'm very happy with them. In fact I think my TBS breaks are better than my Sprint ST breaks. May be there us something wrong with yours.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jul 26, 2009, at 1:09 AM, "martindaybell" <martindaybell@...> wrote:

          Has anyboby any ideas on how to imporve the standard brakes on the TSB.

        • Mo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 26 8:43 AM
            While we're on the subject of Sprint ST brakes, im on my second set of pads on the rear ... 40K miles. The fronts are fine.. Seems like either the caliper is sticking a little, or the rear master cylinder isnt completely releasing pressure...Any one else have any experience with this? After the last pad swap, I also replaced the piston and seal, and everything seemed OK.

            Thanks in advance!

            16EFE88F4

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 26 8:50 AM
              Hmmm. I have no clue. The rear break on the ST had the most "feel". Don't get me wrong the ST breaks are good I just think the TBS has much better feel.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 26 8:55 AM
                Martin

                Would agree with Peter and others, the 'standard' set up is pretty good when its in good condition and working properly.

                I had a problem with my front brakes which turned out to be the pistons sticking in the calipers (one each side oddly enough). I put this down to lack of use as much as anything as Ive been working away a lot and not used it much for the last 2 years. Rear brake was fine, oddly enough.

                When stripping and rebuilding I replaced all seals and pistons in both front calipers. I noticed that even with the new seals and pistons, and despite very careful cleaning etc the same two pistons were a tighter fit than the other two (for our Nissin 2-pots they should be identical all round). I will be keeping an eye on the 'tight' pistons in the coming months.

                As I had some on the shelf I also replaced the front disks with the much lighter floating disks from EBC, more for the fun of it than anything else. I also fitted Goodridge stainless hoses and EBC sintered FA196 HH pads. (I expect disk wear to accelerate !) I left things stock at the rear other than fitting HH's there too. New fluids all round of course.

                Result is a front brake thats superb but needs greater care. The slightly lighter front end doesnt make any difference as far as I can tell, but Im not Valentino Rossi. The set-up is not too much for the bike, but - back to where we came in - the stock set-up is really good enough. I'll probably return to stock at some point, but am having too much fun with the new one to be bothered at the moment.

                In summary then - 'upgrade' if you like - but IMHO its not really necessary. The above 'upgrade' was expensive too.

                Regards
                Andrew