Re: [T TBS R] Re: 2003 TBS for sale - needs tranny.

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 28 , May 9, 2009
      A little surprised at that... didn't think there was that much of a market for used triumph engines like that since (with the exception of yours) they are pretty much bullet proof.

      I guess in the uncivilized world, the first one with the cash gets it...
      Anyway, will keep my eye out for an engine. Hope I didn'nt mess it up for you... to me its normal to offer a lower price first.

      16EFE88F4

      Message 2 of 28 , May 9, 2009
        look on Ebay there is a company that had 2 spare engines Triumph S-3 engines-they bolt right in but the harness might be different and also it is avaialble, just be prepared for the few changes between models.
        if i find the receipt, I'll send it to you

        Message 3 of 28 , May 10, 2009
          > unfortunately, i asked the guy if he would consider taking less
          > and then he went and sold it to someone else.

          That sucks.

          > anyway, i guess i'm in the market for a new motor! anyone have
          > one layin around? :)

          Other places you might ask:

          http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/73824.html
        • electrikjuju_01
          Message 4 of 28 , May 10, 2009
            no worries Mo... my shop thought the price was high and gave me the same advice. the guy was pretty bizarre in his communications and obviously working more than one angle when he contacted me. probably not someone to trust anyway.

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo <sazerac99us@...> wrote:

            > A little surprised at that... didn't think there was that much of a market for used triumph engines like that since (with the exception of yours) they are pretty much bullet proof.
            >
            > I guess in the uncivilized world, the first one with the cash gets it...
            > Anyway, will keep my eye out for an engine. Hope I didn'nt mess it up for you... to me its normal to offer a lower price first.

          • donlee.patton
            Message 5 of 28 , May 11, 2009
              Deb, can you go over again what yours is doing? I know it fell over in a parking lot and there is a crunching noise, can you start from the beginning on the chain of events? Falling over in a parking lot shouldn't destroy the transmission, even falling on the shifter. Your mechanic said that as well, what did he offer as an alternate explanation? When did the crunching start? When does it crunch? Is it driveable now? Let's pump the brakes a minute before you go drop a grand on an engine, LOL!

              This worries me, you said "my shop thought the price was high". Was this the same guy that quoted you $3500 to fix your transmission?

              DonLee

              Message 6 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                ok, here goes...

                my bike was tipped over on the street- it fell on the right side so the shifter was fine. prior to that i had noticed an occasional loss of power while accelerating in lower gears which i just attributed to the coil issue that the TBS is known for. figured i could wait until it got worse before fixing it and that's pretty much what a mechanic told me as well.

                the crunching sound started shortly (about 2 weeks) after the tip over...but i hadn't ridden it much at all. this was the first time that i heard the sound. i was near my friend's honda shop so i stopped in there and she said my chain was jumping up and down (while idling in gear) and i should get it over to the triumph place to have it checked out.

                the triumph shop did not attribute the transmission problem to the tip over but didn't have another explanation accept that the chain could have been adjusted too tight or the guy that i bought it from rode it really hard and burned it out somehow. (i've only had the bike since Oct.)

                the $3500 estimate included about $1700 for labor as it includes splitting the cases which i guess is pretty involved. the rest looks like the replacement of every gear, selector and assembly part. but my understanding is that they estimate that every part needs to be replaced to cover themselves. i don't think the shop was trying to get me to go for a rebuild over a new motor. they just thought i should try to offer less at first. they are plenty busy without my business. but there is one other shop in town that works on triumphs and i may bring it there for an estimate as well.

                i did ride the bike home from the shop last week but nothing over 2nd gear. it wasn't crunching as bad but i'm reluctant to take it out again. i have an independent mechanic (a friend of a friend) coming by to look at it tomorrow but he's never worked on triumphs so i'm not sure how much he can help. but i am surely open to less expensive solutions!

                debra

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "donlee.patton" <donlee.patton@...> wrote:

                > Deb, can you go over again what yours is doing? I know it fell over in a parking lot and there is a crunching noise, can you start from the beginning on the chain of events? Falling over in a parking lot shouldn't destroy the transmission, even falling on the shifter. Your mechanic said that as well, what did he offer as an alternate explanation? When did the crunching start? When does it crunch? Is it driveable now? Let's pump the brakes a minute before you go drop a grand on an engine, LOL!
                >
                > This worries me, you said "my shop thought the price was high". Was this the same guy that quoted you $3500 to fix your transmission?
                >
                > DonLee
                >

                > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, electrikjuju_01 <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >
                > > no worries Mo... my shop thought the price was high and gave me the same advice. the guy was pretty bizarre in his communications and obviously working more than one angle when he contacted me. probably not someone to trust anyway.

              • tbsbiker2
                Message 7 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                  since we are all fishing here...have you checked or changed the oil and looked for some metal shavings or bits in the drain plug or oil filter? If the tranny is "trashed" or you need new gears based on your description if the tranny was toasted you might see evidence of internal damage by checking this out...it also could be simply BAD sprockets and Chain...OR you may need to remove the clutch basket and check that over...all of those are way less and more in reach of a backyard mechanic to check and repair.

                  Peter T. 2000 TBS Sport
                  Chicago, IL

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > This worries me, you said "my shop thought the price was high". Was this the same guy that quoted you $3500 to fix your transmission?
                  > >
                  > > DonLee
                  > >

                  > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, electrikjuju_01 <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > no worries Mo... my shop thought the price was high and gave me the same advice. the guy was pretty bizarre in his communications and obviously working more than one angle when he contacted me. probably not someone to trust anyway.

                • cpallenjr
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                    Deb, with all due respect, none of that makes any sense. The chain jumping up and down in neutral? When you put it in gear after starting does the trans grind before it drops into gear? Does the bike jump forward then? What happens when riding - does it shift hard or can you not shift gears at all?

                    More info please.....

                    Courtney in Seattle

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                      I agree. I think we are looking at a chain and sprocket set. 11K miles and no inflicted damage to the shifter lever, just doesn't make any sense the tranny would let loose.

                      Deb, look at the rear sprocket where the chain is not laying on it. When a sprocket is new, it has a "flat" on the tip of the teeth. If that flat is gone, and the tooth tip is sharp like a knife edge, the chain is actually riding further ahead on the sprocket than it was designed. The sound you may be hearing is the sprocket teeth snapping into the chain as the point of the tooth contacts the chain roller when entering the chain, which it shouldn't do. The point of the tooth should go in between the chain rollers without contacting the roller at all. This contact causes a snapping, or "crunching" on acceleration (when the chain is pulled farthest ahead on the worn sprocket as possible) that can be felt throughout the bike. If the sprocket teeth are hooked over forward any at all, they are definitely making noise.
                      Always change the chain and sprockets as a set, putting a new chain on a set of worn sprockets won't fix the noise for very long.

                      Keep us posted!!

                      DonLee

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "tbsbiker2" <tbsbiker2@...> wrote:

                      > since we are all fishing here...have you checked or changed the oil and looked for some metal shavings or bits in the drain plug or oil filter? If the tranny is "trashed" or you need new gears based on your description if the tranny was toasted you might see evidence of internal damage by checking this out...it also could be simply BAD sprockets and Chain...OR you may need to remove the clutch basket and check that over...all of those are way less and more in reach of a backyard mechanic to check and repair.
                      >
                      > Peter T. 2000 TBS Sport
                      > Chicago, IL

                    • Mo
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                        To me, the chain jumping up and down while idling IN GEAR indicates a clutch problem. Clutches are normal wear items, and can be damaged prematurely by poor technique. The transmission is more bulletproof, short of powershifting without the clutch or not using the clutch at all, a transmission should not die prematurely.

                        16EFE88F4