2003 TBS for sale - needs tranny.

  • electrikjuju_01
    Message 1 of 28 , May 1, 2009
      hey folks,

      sadly, the transmission on my TBS has gone south and i cannot afford to have it repaired. i am considering all reasonable offers on the bike which is otherwise in excellent shape with less than 11k miles on it. i should also mention that recently the bike was tipped while parked... my lucky month i guess. it has frame sliders but there is a small nickel sized dent on the tank from the handlebars turning in and the right napolean side mirror is scraped.

      the bike is located in San Francisco. i love this bike and wish i could keep it. it would probably make a great project bike for the right person.

      best,
      debra
    • Mo
      Message 2 of 28 , May 1, 2009
        sorry to hear about your troubles....what went wrong with your transmission and what would you consider reasonable? what year is it?

        16EFE88F4

        Message 3 of 28 , May 1, 2009
          it's a 2003 and orange.

          i don't know what went wrong. i've only owned the bike since october and haven't put that many miles on it. it was running fine until the crunching sound started suddenly the other day. the bike was tipped over on the right side recently which the mechanic says is a highly unlikely cause. they estimate $3500 to fix it. the shop has a good rep and i trust them, but that is outa my league right now. i guess reasonable would be 2-3k otherwise i may wait until i have the money to do the work.... so sad.

          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo <sazerac99us@...> wrote:

          > sorry to hear about your troubles....what went wrong with your transmission and what would you consider reasonable? what year is it?
          >
          > 16EFE88F4

        • electrikjuju_01
          Message 4 of 28 , May 1, 2009
            i am actually looking to more experienced folks on this board for ideas on what would be considered a fair price for the bike in its current condition. i will probably try to sell it locally if i can. any advice would be much appreciated!

            Message 5 of 28 , May 1, 2009
              If I were looking at a bike with a bad transmission I would subtract the 3500$
              repair estimate from the amount I'd like to pay for the bike after examination.

              Based on that I'd say there is not much intrinsic value left over.

              --On May 2, 2009 3:36:30 AM +0000 electrikjuju_01 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              wrote:

              > i am actually looking to more experienced folks on this board for ideas on
              > what would be considered a fair price for the bike in its current condition.
              > i will probably try to sell it locally if i can. any advice would be much
              > appreciated!
              >
              > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, electrikjuju_01
              > <no_reply@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> it's a 2003 and orange.
              >>
              >> i don't know what went wrong. i've only owned the bike since october and
              >> haven't put that many miles on it. it was running fine until the crunching
              >> sound started suddenly the other day. the bike was tipped over on the right
              >> side recently which the mechanic says is a highly unlikely cause. they
              >> estimate $3500 to fix it. the shop has a good rep and i trust them, but that
              >> is outa my league right now. i guess reasonable would be 2-3k otherwise i
              >> may wait until i have the money to do the work.... so sad.
              >>
              >> --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo <sazerac99us@>
              >> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > sorry to hear about your troubles....what went wrong with your
              >> > transmission and what would you consider reasonable? what year is it?
              >> >
              >> > 16EFE88F4

            • martindaybell
              Message 6 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Denny <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

                > If I were looking at a bike with a bad transmission I would subtract the 3500$
                > repair estimate from the amount I'd like to pay for the bike after examination.
                >
                > Based on that I'd say there is not much intrinsic value left over.
                >

                > --On May 2, 2009 3:36:30 AM +0000 electrikjuju_01 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > i am actually looking to more experienced folks on this board for ideas on
                > > what would be considered a fair price for the bike in its current condition.
                > > i will probably try to sell it locally if i can. any advice would be much
                > > appreciated!
                > >
                > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, electrikjuju_01
                > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> it's a 2003 and orange.
                > >>
                > >> i don't know what went wrong. i've only owned the bike since october and
                > >> haven't put that many miles on it. it was running fine until the crunching
                > >> sound started suddenly the other day. the bike was tipped over on the right
                > >> side recently which the mechanic says is a highly unlikely cause. they
                > >> estimate $3500 to fix it. the shop has a good rep and i trust them, but that
                > >> is outa my league right now. i guess reasonable would be 2-3k otherwise i
                > >> may wait until i have the money to do the work.... so sad.
                > >>
                > >> --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo <sazerac99us@>

                Have you thought about replacing the whole engine.
                I recently had trouble with mine (a split in the cylinder head developed) and it proved cheaper to get hold of a second hand engine
                than replace the cylinderhead.
                I was lucky that I found a second had low milage engine from a crashed bike in a breakers ,allthough from a slightly older and slightly higher milage bike than mine.
                It was dealer fitted and the dealer cofirmed it was a good engine.
                I know its a risk buying a second hand engine but it was better ,and cheaper, than having the original repaired.

                > Thanks,
                > Denny

              • electrikjuju_01
                Message 7 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                  sounds like you lucked out... good for you! i don't know where i would find a 2nd hand engine but i did ask about just replacing the transmission... they said the labor would still involve a lot of hours. i may be better off just storing the bike until i can afford to fix it as i'm guessing it's not worth much unless parted out which i don't wanna deal with. *sigh*

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                    > i don't know where i would find a 2nd hand engine

                    Depending on where you are:

                    http://www.baxtercycle.com/
                    http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/

                    Ebay is another good bet.

                    > but i did ask about just replacing the transmission...
                    > they said the labor would still involve a lot of hours.

                    Many more hours than just throwing in a new engine is my bet.
                  • cpallenjr
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                      Debra,

                      I can't imagine what would wreck the trans on a t-bird - I have been on the various boards for years and have never heard of a trans problem. I *have* heard of the shifter shaft breaking though (from a drop on the left, a repair that can reportably be done through the sump without splitting the cases).

                      So as another poster said there's not much residual value to the bike these days after a $3500 repair. You are going to take a financial hit one way or the other. Maybe it's worthwhile to have the shop pull the motor (or maybe you can do that yourself) and pay them to do a diagnosis and then decide from there whether to fix it, part it out, or sell it outright as is.

                      Good luck
                      Courtney in Seattle

                      <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > hey folks,
                      >
                      > sadly, the transmission on my TBS has gone south and i cannot afford to have it repaired. i am considering all reasonable offers on the bike which is otherwise in excellent shape with less than 11k miles on it. i should also mention that recently the bike was tipped while parked... my lucky month i guess. it has frame sliders but there is a small nickel sized dent on the tank from the handlebars turning in and the right napolean side mirror is scraped.
                      >
                      > the bike is located in San Francisco. i love this bike and wish i could keep it. it would probably make a great project bike for the right person.
                      >
                      > best,
                      > debra

                    • Mo
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                        Debra,

                        Please contact me offline at sazerac99us@..., have some ideas you may be interested in.

                        Thanks,
                        Maurice

                        16EFE88F4

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                          thanks so much for the links! i'm in northern california btw.i called baxter cycles and they don't have anything. also, the guy seemed to think that buying a used engine would be more expensive than i think though he didn't mention a specific price.

                          there's a transmission in a damaged case for sale on ebay right now but i'm guessing that having those parts wouldn't bring down the overall rebuild costs that much.

                          i don't have a garage so parting it out is not an option but it's probably worth more that way.

                          -- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > > i don't know where i would find a 2nd hand engine
                          >
                          > Depending on where you are:
                          >
                          > http://www.baxtercycle.com/
                          > http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/
                          >
                          > Ebay is another good bet.
                          >
                          > > but i did ask about just replacing the transmission...
                          > > they said the labor would still involve a lot of hours.
                          >
                          > Many more hours than just throwing in a new engine is my bet.

                        • R60Rider
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 2, 2009
                            Triumph Thunderbird Sport Riders - Gotta love this bike!I personally think that it is a sad commentary on modern motorcycling when it gets to the point where a guy can't afford to keep the thing running. I have a big big problem with the knowledge that if I get a flat tire on my TBS, the chances of repairing it on the road are practically nil. Call a tow truck? That means it's practically a car on two wheels. What happened to the feeling of independence and self-sufficiency of riding a cycle?

                            Now turn back to when I bought my first motorcycle. I hardly had a penny to my name, a minimum wage job and no way to get around other than public transportation. A deal for a '61 BMW R27 came my way and the guy said he'd hold the thing until I had the cash, so I worked and saved all summer long and into the fall and finally had the money to buy the thing that November - $350. It cost $2 a year to register it and the outrageous sum of $220 a year for insurance because I was under 25. When I needed to replace a tire, it cost $16 and I changed it myself with no other tools than what came in the little tool kit. When I graduated from college I traded it in on a new 1966 BMW R60 and I still have it and it still runs great. I can tune it up myself in less than an hour with no other tools than what are in its tool kit. When I get a flat tire I can have the wheel off, a new tube installed and be back on the road in exactly 30 minutes. When the battery goes bad, I simply start it up - it has a kick starter and a magneto ignition - and drive it down to the shop to get a new battery. It has a 6 volt electrical system and the headlight actually lights up the road way better than the anemic, sorry-ass thing on the TBS. And one of the best features - it has a damn switch so that I can turn off the headlight when I want. In other words, a motorcycle was a great thing to have for someone who wasn't making big bucks and it was simple to maintain.

                            I just had the TBS into the shop for its 6000 mile service - $543. I run a sidecar and I thought to myself, hey I can get a spare rear wheel and mount it on the sidecar rear boot lid and that would solve the flat tire on the road problem. What! $1286 for a wheel? When I was a young guy, most of the other riders were young guys. Now that I'm an old guy, I see very few young riders out on the road. They probably have a hard time affording or justifying the cost to own and run one of the things. They've turned motorcycles into the two wheeled equivalent of automobiles.

                            Martin
                            '04 TBS with Watsonian GP Jubilee, '66 BMW R60, '69 BMW R69US

                              > Triumph Thunderbird Sport Riders - Gotta love this bike!I personally
                              > think that it is a sad commentary on modern motorcycling when it
                              > gets to the point where a guy can't afford to keep the thing
                              > running. I have a big big problem with the knowledge that if I get a
                              > flat tire on my TBS, the chances of repairing it on the road are
                              > practically nil. Call a tow truck? That means it's practically a car
                              > on two wheels. What happened to the feeling of independence and
                              > self-sufficiency of riding a cycle?
                              >
                              > Now turn back to when I bought my first motorcycle. I hardly had a
                              > penny to my name, a minimum wage job and no way to get around other
                              > than public transportation. A deal for a '61 BMW R27 came my way and
                              > the guy said he'd hold the thing until I had the cash, so I worked
                              > and saved all summer long and into the fall and finally had the
                              > money to buy the thing that November - $350. It cost $2 a year to
                              > register it and the outrageous sum of $220 a year for insurance
                              > because I was under 25. When I needed to replace a tire, it cost $16
                              > and I changed it myself with no other tools than what came in the
                              > little tool kit. When I graduated from college I traded it in on a
                              > new 1966 BMW R60 and I still have it and it still runs great. I can
                              > tune it up myself in less than an hour with no other tools than what
                              > are in its tool kit. When I get a flat tire I can have the wheel
                              > off, a new tube installed and be back on the road in exactly 30
                              > minutes. When the battery goes bad, I simply start it up - it has a
                              > kick starter and a magneto ignition - and drive it down to the shop
                              > to get a new battery. It has a 6 volt electrical system and the
                              > headlight actually lights up the road way better than the anemic,
                              > sorry-ass thing on the TBS. And one of the best features - it has a
                              > damn switch so that I can turn off the headlight when I want. In
                              > other words, a motorcycle was a great thing to have for someone who
                              > wasn't making big bucks and it was simple to maintain.
                              >
                              > I just had the TBS into the shop for its 6000 mile service - $543. I
                              > run a sidecar and I thought to myself, hey I can get a spare rear
                              > wheel and mount it on the sidecar rear boot lid and that would solve
                              > the flat tire on the road problem. What! $1286 for a wheel? When I
                              > was a young guy, most of the other riders were young guys. Now that
                              > I'm an old guy, I see very few young riders out on the road. They
                              > probably have a hard time affording or justifying the cost to own
                              > and run one of the things. They've turned motorcycles into the two
                              > wheeled equivalent of automobiles.
                              >
                              > Martin
                              > '04 TBS with Watsonian GP Jubilee, '66 BMW R60, '69 BMW R69US

                              Click now for prescreened plumbing contractors.
                              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTRHJCOe157thZXs0kYd7nH4ZfQlmdaam4CWY3DX1jVarPWzm4XzzS/
                            • cpallenjr
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                                In my early days of motorcycling, you NEEDED tool kits and the knowledge to use them. You got 3000 miles on the back tire, and maybe 6 on the front if it didn't cup too badly. The headlight would last a couple of months if you ran it all the time and the smart guy carried a spare in case it burned out at night. And a tube that would fit either the front or rear tire. And a tire pump. And a pint of oil. A gallon of gas cost 30 cents. My first good job at 18 y/o was in the U.S. miltary and I made $288/mo before taxes.

                                Now all I need is a cell phone and a visa card and I can confidently go anywhere. The modern motorcycle has become so reliable I have not needed to use the tool kit outside of my garage on probably my last five or six bikes.

                                I have a textile riding suit that keeps me comfportable and dry from 38 - 100 degrees (F of course) and an electric liner for even colder temps. A flip-front helmet that doesn't fog up in the rain or make my ears ring from the noise. If I crash, there's a good chance that the paramedics will be able to stabilize me so I can be air-evac'd to a trauma center.

                                Yes Martin, times have changed but not necessarily for the worse IMHO. I wish that I had kept my 1966 Honda 305 Super Hawk but wouldn't want it for my daily driver!

                                Courtney in Seattle

                                Message 15 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                                  Exactly... Don't get caught in the "those were the good ole days", because THESE are them. Life was "simpler" back then, and yeah im old enough to say that, but living in the past is like sitting on the porch watching the world go by.

                                  16EFE88F4

                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                    wowza... so it looks like i just found a new engine! i'm going to have the shop check it out first but is there anything special i should look at? is $1000 a fair price? 6500 miles.
                                  • Mo
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                      Hard to say...being off the bike...check the condition of the oil, (excessive metal particles, old, dirty smell), check the spark plugs (reading spark plugs can tell you a LOT). Does it include the carbs?? Do you have a "history" on the engine, how it came to be available (I would guess someone wrecked the bike)(make sure the threads where the exhaust system mounts are not broken)... and...find out how much the shop is going to charge you to put it on your bike. Hard to say if $1,000 is a fair price, but if thats what he's asking, offer him $800.

                                      Congrats!!!!!! Hope you get riding again again soon. I was in SF a few years ago, there seemed to be a lot of really great roads out to explore.

                                      Good Luck,
                                      Maurice

                                      16EFE88F4

                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 9, 2009
                                        thanks for all the thoughtful advice Mo. unfortunately, i asked the guy if he would consider taking less and then he went and sold it to someone else. i guess i thought that normal procedure would be to say either, no i'm firm on my price or yes i would take less. instead he said, well, i'm not sure and then while making arrangements for me to come see it he sold it to another guy. weird. i guess that's his karma and my bad luck.

                                        anyway, i guess i'm in the market for a new motor! anyone have one layin around? :)

                                        debra

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 9, 2009
                                          A little surprised at that... didn't think there was that much of a market for used triumph engines like that since (with the exception of yours) they are pretty much bullet proof.

                                          I guess in the uncivilized world, the first one with the cash gets it...
                                          Anyway, will keep my eye out for an engine. Hope I didn'nt mess it up for you... to me its normal to offer a lower price first.

                                          16EFE88F4

                                          thanks for all the thoughtful advice Mo. unfortunately, i asked the guy if he would consider taking less and then he went and sold it to someone else. i guess i thought that normal procedure would be to say either, no i'm firm on my price or yes i would take less. instead he said, well, i'm not sure and then while making arrangements for me to come see it he sold it to another guy. weird. i guess that's his karma and my bad luck.

                                          anyway, i guess i'm in the market for a new motor! anyone have one layin around? :)

                                          debra

                                          --- In triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com, Mo <sazerac99us@ ...> wrote:

                                          > Hard to say...being off the bike...check the condition of the oil, (excessive metal particles, old, dirty smell), check the spark plugs (reading spark plugs can tell you a LOT). Does it include the carbs?? Do you have a "history" on the engine, how it came to be available (I would guess someone wrecked the bike)(make sure the threads where the exhaust system mounts are not broken)... and...find out how much the shop is going to charge you to put it on your bike. Hard to say if $1,000 is a fair price, but if thats what he's asking, offer him $800.

                                          > Congrats!!!! !! Hope you get riding again again soon. I was in SF a few years ago, there seemed to be a lot of really great roads out to explore.

                                          > Good Luck,

                                          > Maurice

                                          > 16EFE88F4

                                          > --- On Thu, 5/7/09, electrikjuju_ 01 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:

                                          > From: electrikjuju_ 01 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>

                                          > Subject: [T TBS R] Re: 2003 TBS for sale - needs tranny.

                                          > To: triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com

                                          > Date: Thursday, May 7, 2009, 12:34 PM

                                          > wowza... so it looks like i just found a new engine! i'm going to have the shop check it out first but is there anything special i should look at? is $1000 a fair price? 6500 miles.

                                        • Guy
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 9, 2009
                                            look on Ebay there is a company that had 2 spare engines Triumph S-3 engines-they bolt right in but the harness might be different and also it is avaialble, just be prepared for the few changes between models.
                                            if i find the receipt, I'll send it to you

                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                                              > unfortunately, i asked the guy if he would consider taking less
                                              > and then he went and sold it to someone else.

                                              That sucks.

                                              > anyway, i guess i'm in the market for a new motor! anyone have
                                              > one layin around? :)

                                              Other places you might ask:

                                              http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/73824.html
                                            • electrikjuju_01
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 10, 2009
                                                no worries Mo... my shop thought the price was high and gave me the same advice. the guy was pretty bizarre in his communications and obviously working more than one angle when he contacted me. probably not someone to trust anyway.

                                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mo <sazerac99us@...> wrote:

                                                > A little surprised at that... didn't think there was that much of a market for used triumph engines like that since (with the exception of yours) they are pretty much bullet proof.
                                                >
                                                > I guess in the uncivilized world, the first one with the cash gets it...
                                                > Anyway, will keep my eye out for an engine. Hope I didn'nt mess it up for you... to me its normal to offer a lower price first.

                                              • donlee.patton
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                                  Deb, can you go over again what yours is doing? I know it fell over in a parking lot and there is a crunching noise, can you start from the beginning on the chain of events? Falling over in a parking lot shouldn't destroy the transmission, even falling on the shifter. Your mechanic said that as well, what did he offer as an alternate explanation? When did the crunching start? When does it crunch? Is it driveable now? Let's pump the brakes a minute before you go drop a grand on an engine, LOL!

                                                  This worries me, you said "my shop thought the price was high". Was this the same guy that quoted you $3500 to fix your transmission?

                                                  DonLee

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 11, 2009
                                                    ok, here goes...

                                                    my bike was tipped over on the street- it fell on the right side so the shifter was fine. prior to that i had noticed an occasional loss of power while accelerating in lower gears which i just attributed to the coil issue that the TBS is known for. figured i could wait until it got worse before fixing it and that's pretty much what a mechanic told me as well.

                                                    the crunching sound started shortly (about 2 weeks) after the tip over...but i hadn't ridden it much at all. this was the first time that i heard the sound. i was near my friend's honda shop so i stopped in there and she said my chain was jumping up and down (while idling in gear) and i should get it over to the triumph place to have it checked out.

                                                    the triumph shop did not attribute the transmission problem to the tip over but didn't have another explanation accept that the chain could have been adjusted too tight or the guy that i bought it from rode it really hard and burned it out somehow. (i've only had the bike since Oct.)

                                                    the $3500 estimate included about $1700 for labor as it includes splitting the cases which i guess is pretty involved. the rest looks like the replacement of every gear, selector and assembly part. but my understanding is that they estimate that every part needs to be replaced to cover themselves. i don't think the shop was trying to get me to go for a rebuild over a new motor. they just thought i should try to offer less at first. they are plenty busy without my business. but there is one other shop in town that works on triumphs and i may bring it there for an estimate as well.

                                                    i did ride the bike home from the shop last week but nothing over 2nd gear. it wasn't crunching as bad but i'm reluctant to take it out again. i have an independent mechanic (a friend of a friend) coming by to look at it tomorrow but he's never worked on triumphs so i'm not sure how much he can help. but i am surely open to less expensive solutions!

                                                    debra

                                                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "donlee.patton" <donlee.patton@...> wrote:

                                                    > Deb, can you go over again what yours is doing? I know it fell over in a parking lot and there is a crunching noise, can you start from the beginning on the chain of events? Falling over in a parking lot shouldn't destroy the transmission, even falling on the shifter. Your mechanic said that as well, what did he offer as an alternate explanation? When did the crunching start? When does it crunch? Is it driveable now? Let's pump the brakes a minute before you go drop a grand on an engine, LOL!
                                                    >
                                                    > This worries me, you said "my shop thought the price was high". Was this the same guy that quoted you $3500 to fix your transmission?
                                                    >
                                                    > DonLee
                                                    >

                                                    > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, electrikjuju_01 <no_reply@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > no worries Mo... my shop thought the price was high and gave me the same advice. the guy was pretty bizarre in his communications and obviously working more than one angle when he contacted me. probably not someone to trust anyway.

                                                  • tbsbiker2
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                                                      since we are all fishing here...have you checked or changed the oil and looked for some metal shavings or bits in the drain plug or oil filter? If the tranny is "trashed" or you need new gears based on your description if the tranny was toasted you might see evidence of internal damage by checking this out...it also could be simply BAD sprockets and Chain...OR you may need to remove the clutch basket and check that over...all of those are way less and more in reach of a backyard mechanic to check and repair.

                                                      Peter T. 2000 TBS Sport
                                                      Chicago, IL

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                                                        Deb, with all due respect, none of that makes any sense. The chain jumping up and down in neutral? When you put it in gear after starting does the trans grind before it drops into gear? Does the bike jump forward then? What happens when riding - does it shift hard or can you not shift gears at all?

                                                        More info please.....

                                                        Courtney in Seattle

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                                                          I agree. I think we are looking at a chain and sprocket set. 11K miles and no inflicted damage to the shifter lever, just doesn't make any sense the tranny would let loose.

                                                          Deb, look at the rear sprocket where the chain is not laying on it. When a sprocket is new, it has a "flat" on the tip of the teeth. If that flat is gone, and the tooth tip is sharp like a knife edge, the chain is actually riding further ahead on the sprocket than it was designed. The sound you may be hearing is the sprocket teeth snapping into the chain as the point of the tooth contacts the chain roller when entering the chain, which it shouldn't do. The point of the tooth should go in between the chain rollers without contacting the roller at all. This contact causes a snapping, or "crunching" on acceleration (when the chain is pulled farthest ahead on the worn sprocket as possible) that can be felt throughout the bike. If the sprocket teeth are hooked over forward any at all, they are definitely making noise.
                                                          Always change the chain and sprockets as a set, putting a new chain on a set of worn sprockets won't fix the noise for very long.

                                                          Keep us posted!!

                                                          DonLee

                                                          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "tbsbiker2" <tbsbiker2@...> wrote:

                                                          > since we are all fishing here...have you checked or changed the oil and looked for some metal shavings or bits in the drain plug or oil filter? If the tranny is "trashed" or you need new gears based on your description if the tranny was toasted you might see evidence of internal damage by checking this out...it also could be simply BAD sprockets and Chain...OR you may need to remove the clutch basket and check that over...all of those are way less and more in reach of a backyard mechanic to check and repair.
                                                          >
                                                          > Peter T. 2000 TBS Sport
                                                          > Chicago, IL

                                                        • Mo
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 12, 2009
                                                            To me, the chain jumping up and down while idling IN GEAR indicates a clutch problem. Clutches are normal wear items, and can be damaged prematurely by poor technique. The transmission is more bulletproof, short of powershifting without the clutch or not using the clutch at all, a transmission should not die prematurely.

                                                            16EFE88F4