Re: [T TBS R] Re: 98 TBS OFF ROAD MUFFLERS

  • Mick Leigh
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
      Thanks Norm i have considered this but to be honest i dont want to sacrafice my stock mufflers the bike is mint.Thanks
      Mick

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
        Thanks i will take a look

        ________________________________
        > I am looking without much success for a set of off road mufflers for my 98 TBS,its like rocking horse poo to find in the UK.Can anybody point me in the right direction,or know of a suitable replacement that can give the bike the noise it deserves.Thanks
        >Peter,
                I think there is a pair on Ebay autos U.S right now. Sometimes you can talk a seller into an over seas ship, as I have had to do for U.K. parts.

      • mick.leigh50
        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes <no_reply@...> wrote:
          >Just had a look at the D&D web the 3 in 3 look good but the site states they are for the 2000 plus model?Do they fit the 98 99 Tbirds as well?
          > > I have long considered the off-roads but didn't want to deal with the
          > > re-jetting issue. So if you do the drill bit thing, is that still an issue
          > > or will the carbs be OK?
          >
          > You don't really have to rejet when you put on the offroads, Norm. The sum total of the rejetting is just backing out the idle screws to about 2-1/2 turns (on our side of the pond...the Brits are already set up that way). And if you don't adjust them? The bike will pop noticeably on deceleration...but it will pop far less than my '99 does with the D&D three into threes on it. :)
          >
          > > BTW, it seems this chat room has been really quite for months, must be the
          > > cold weather hibernation thing.
          >
          > Yeah. Long cold winter. Thank God it's over.

        • Todd Luchette
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
            Agreed. Simply beautiful.

            On Apr 17, 2009, at 6:33 AM, Mick Leigh wrote:

            > The website is worth a look to see the 3 into 3 Hurricane styled
            > system he done for a 98 Thunderbird sport.

          • cobblertommo
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Todd Luchette <luchette@...> wrote:

              > Agreed. Simply beautiful.
              >

              > On Apr 17, 2009, at 6:33 AM, Mick Leigh wrote:
              >
              > > The website is worth a look to see the 3 into 3 Hurricane styled
              > > system he done for a 98 Thunderbird sport.

              I just checked that website but those pipes are a dead ringer for the D&D three into three pipes. I was very lucky and managed to buy a set fom the USA new on Ebay including delivery to UK 323 pounds. I phoned the guy on the UK website that we are talking about and was quoted 900 pounds. I guess the cheaper option would be to pick up a standard set of silencers for around 200 pounds and drill them through as suggested.
              Geoff Tommo
            • Gary Gavin
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
                I spoke to D&D several years ago about their systems. At that time they
                were not stainless steel. I purchased a Staintune system (fully stainless
                steel) that originally was listed for 1200 -1500 USD. Lucky me it landed
                under a 1000 USD. The system is no longer available.

                Depending on your riding environment, the lower priced systems will be fine.
                Unfortunately for me, a D&D system would have to be replaced every three to
                four years which is about what the OE system lasted on my 98. The chrome
                plating on the OE stainless steel down pipes became covered with rust and
                resulting pits. The OE silencers, including the TORs rusted from the inside
                out.

                Should Triumph return to supplying replacements it would be nice if they
                dropped the chrome plated steel completely. The OE system on my Tiger is
                fully stainless and when polished looks brand new.

                00 Tiger

                07 Mini Cooper S

                Oahu, Hawaii

                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
                  Thank You,
                  Denny

                  On Friday, April 17, 2009, at 09:33AM, "Mick Leigh" <mick.leigh50@...> wrote:
                  >Hi Richard If you can get hold of a pair i would be very interested.I bid on the recent pair on e bay £400 is a lot of money.I spoke to a chap from osmc.co.uk a company in Stafford he will reproduce for £360 approx. The website is worth a look to see the 3 into 3 Hurricane styled system he done for a 98 Thunderbird sport.I agree Triumph should start making again,cheers
                  >Mick

                  Those are much better looking than the D&D's, and Stainless to boot.
                  I've had D&D's. They are heavy. I simply got tired of the loudness after 4 years.

                  D&D used to show a set for 98-99 TBS on their site.
                  They are slightly different. They might bend up a set if you asked them about it.
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
                    >Just had a look at the D&D web the 3 in 3 look good but the site states they are for the 2000 plus model?Do they fit the 98 99 Tbirds as well?

                    No, there are two different versions because the '00-'04 models have lowered rear footpegs. The right rear footpeg is the location at which the exhaust mounts. If you want a set, though, I suspect strongly they'd make them up for you as it's probably just a different bend at the muffler end of the exhaust header.
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 17, 2009
                      For what it's worth, this is what my D&Ds look like after 5 years on the bike:

                      However, unlike Gary, I don't live on an island so they're not exposed to salt air. I'm also a fanatic about keeping the bikes clean, and they're always garaged when not in use.

                      And, for the record, they *are* extremely loud, to the point that I wear earplugs on long rides with my 3/4 helmet. :)
                    • Andrew Jenkins
                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 18, 2009
                        > Mick Leigh wrote:
                        >

                        > Hi Andy if successful my mobile no is 07788454913

                        I got in touch with my mate and he still has the silencers and
                        he's willing to sell them. I'll put you in touch with him if you'd
                        like. Send me an e-mail (andrew.jenkins 'AT' bigfoot.com)
                        so I can contact you directly.

                        Regards,
                        Andrew Jenkins.
                      • Craig Weidler
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 18, 2009
                          I have a 2004 TBS, and I fully agree with "Hole Saw" guy.

                          Except you should keep in mind that it's a British bike and a 19mm saw would be more appropriate.

                          As far as the carbs, you will need to drill of the caps covering the idle adjustment screws and adjust them. I believe that the average adjustment is 2.5 turns out to keep the beast not backfire on deceleration.

                          Craig
                        • Mick Leigh
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 19, 2009
                            Thanks Pete the bike looks good!

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 19, 2009
                              Do you know where i can get there e mail address from?Its not on there web site.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 19, 2009
                                Good buy!I would be interested how the fitting goes.They certainly look good
                                Mick

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 20, 2009

                                  danddexhaust@...
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 20, 2009
                                    Grrr...

                                    danddexhaust @ msn.com
                                  • Mick Leigh
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 21, 2009
                                      Thanks Pete

                                      ________________________________
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 22, 2009
                                        I had the same question, here is their reply:

                                        DonLee
                                        You need
                                        900-13S T-bird Sport 97-99 S/G Megs $505 s/o

                                        or
                                        900-22M T-bird Sport 97~99 97-99 S/G Megs Tri Pipe $834 f/s

                                        plus shipping sales office 817-834-8961

                                        You will need to tune the bike after you put system on.

                                        Thanks for contacting D&D

                                        Have A Great Day Ride Safe
                                        Leonard, Customer Service / Tech
                                        817-834-0996