M Bars; Oberon bar-end mirrors

  • dleinheardt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
      Has anyone installed Oberon bar-end or clamp-on mirrors on their TBS? They look sweet and trying to make certain they'll work on the standard bar before ordering them from the UK.

      http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/adjustable-bar-end-mirror-3.html

      Also, anyone who has installed M Bars on their TBS -- would you say there is a marked difference from the standard bar? I need to replace my handlebars and contemplating the M Bars for a slightly lower/more aggressive riding position. Any specifics about installation, clearance issues, etc is much appreciated.

      DL
      2000 TBS
      NY, NY
    • Andrew Jenkins
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2009
        dleinheardt wrote:

        > Has anyone installed Oberon bar-end or clamp-on mirrors on their TBS?
        > They look sweet and trying to make certain they'll work on the
        > standard bar before ordering them from the UK.
        >
        > http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/adjustable-bar-end-mirror-3.html
        > <http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/adjustable-bar-end-mirror-3.html>
        >
        > Also, anyone who has installed M Bars on their TBS -- would you say
        > there is a marked difference from the standard bar? I need to replace
        > my handlebars and contemplating the M Bars for a slightly lower/more
        > aggressive riding position. Any specifics about installation,
        > clearance issues, etc is much appreciated.
        >
        > DL
        > 2000 TBS
        > NY, NY

        I fitted bar-ends (not Oberon but similar). I've now switched back to
        the originals as I
        found the 60mm diameter bar-ends to be completely useless.

        Not only was I getting a good view of my elbows but because of the
        position of them
        I found that you had to make a effort to look down (and left or right)
        to see behind,
        whereas the originals are in your periphery vision when you're looking
        forward and
        therefore no effort is required to see something coming up behind.

        Obviously it's personal preference but for me bar-ends didn't work. I'm
        just glad I
        spent £30 on cheaper ones (I was going to get Oberons at £60 but held
        back until
        I'd tried them).

        Regards,
        Andrew Jenkins.
      • readrep49
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Jenkins <adjenkins@...> wrote:

          > dleinheardt wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone installed Oberon bar-end or clamp-on mirrors on their TBS?
          > > They look sweet and trying to make certain they'll work on the
          > > standard bar before ordering them from the UK.
          > >
          > > http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/adjustable-bar-end-mirror-3.html
          > > <http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/adjustable-bar-end-mirror-3.html>
          > >
          > > Also, anyone who has installed M Bars on their TBS -- would you say
          > > there is a marked difference from the standard bar? I need to replace
          > > my handlebars and contemplating the M Bars for a slightly lower/more
          > > aggressive riding position. Any specifics about installation,
          > > clearance issues, etc is much appreciated.
          > >
          > > DL
          > > 2000 TBS
          > > NY, NY
          > >

          > I fitted bar-ends (not Oberon but similar). I've now switched back to
          > the originals as I
          > found the 60mm diameter bar-ends to be completely useless.
          >
          > Not only was I getting a good view of my elbows but because of the
          > position of them
          > I found that you had to make a effort to look down (and left or right)
          > to see behind,
          > whereas the originals are in your periphery vision when you're looking
          > forward and
          > therefore no effort is required to see something coming up behind.
          >
          > Obviously it's personal preference but for me bar-ends didn't work. I'm
          > just glad I
          > spent £30 on cheaper ones (I was going to get Oberons at £60 but held
          > back until
          > I'd tried them).
          >
          > Regards,
          > Andrew Jenkins.

          Hi a friend of mine has an Oberon on his bike and like Andrew explains they are difficult to use, being a convex 60mm.
          However I have a pair of 70mm Motrax bar end mirrors which not only look good, they give excellent rearward vision, equal to that of the std mirrors. Regards Dave