[T TBS R] Re: what's wrong with my TBS?

  • atlantajaguarfan
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2008
      another update - Atlanta Triumph went through a diagnosis and came to
      the conclusion that the igniter is bad, even though AUTO ECU tested
      the igniter and said that it was okay. I'm not sure what to think now.
      The dealership is aware that I had already tested the igniter through
      auto ecu. But their conclusion is that the igniter is bad and that a
      new one will fix the problem. Wow. Not sure what to think. Anyway,
      just thought I'd let you know. Thanks again for your suggestions. Bill

      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Gary L. Gavin"
      <glgavin@...> wrote:

      > It's been my experience with my two Triumphs that once the battery won't
      > hold it's charge it's time for a new battery. I've also found that
      spending
      > the money on a maintenance free battery is well worth it. (7 years
      on the
      > TBS and 4 on the Tiger so far) From what I remember in posts on the
      Tiger
      > and Trophy lists a low battery condition did cause poor
      running/starting. I
      > remember an 11v reading across the poles being indicative of poor
      battery
      > condition but don't remember if that is at rest or while attempting to
      > start.
      >

      > Gary
      > 98 Thunderbird Sport
      > 00 Tiger
      > 07 Mini Cooper S
      > 85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
      > Oahu, Hawaii

    • cpallenjr
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2008
        I think you should try and find one of us in your area who is willing
        to loan you an igniter and crank sensor to use for testing.

        Courtney in Seattle

        --- In
        triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "atlantajaguarfan"
        <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:

        > another update - Atlanta Triumph went through a diagnosis and came
        > the conclusion that the igniter is bad, even though AUTO ECU tested
        > the igniter and said that it was okay. I'm not sure what to think
        now.
        > The dealership is aware that I had already tested the igniter
        through
        > auto ecu. But their conclusion is that the igniter is bad and that a
        > new one will fix the problem. Wow. Not sure what to think. Anyway,
        > just thought I'd let you know. Thanks again for your suggestions.
        Bill

        > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Gary L.
        Gavin"
        > <glgavin@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's been my experience with my two Triumphs that once the
        battery won't
        > > hold it's charge it's time for a new battery. I've also found
        that
        > spending
        > > the money on a maintenance free battery is well worth it. (7
        years
        > on the
        > > TBS and 4 on the Tiger so far) From what I remember in posts on
        the
        > Tiger
        > > and Trophy lists a low battery condition did cause poor
        > running/starting. I
        > > remember an 11v reading across the poles being indicative of poor
        > battery
        > > condition but don't remember if that is at rest or while
        attempting to
        > > start.
        > >

        > > Gary
        > > 98 Thunderbird Sport
        > > 00 Tiger
        > > 07 Mini Cooper S
        > > 85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
        > > Oahu, Hawaii

      • Bill Bill
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hey Courtney, I thought about that seriously. Then I talked to my Triumph guy, and he guaranteed it was the igniter. Said he took it apart, rearranged some wires to check the wires going to the second coil. I guess the lesson here is the guys at auto ECU don't have a foolproof testing procedure. Anyway, my thoughts are out for you if your igniter goes bad. Set me back $750.