TBS will not start

  • teampummy
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
      I just bought a 1998 TBS with 12,000 mile and it will not start. It
      turns over but will not start. I have flushed out the fuel tank,
      replaced the plugs, charged the battery, used my truck battery,
      replaced the air filter, still will not turn over. I then checked the
      spark and all three plugs are firing and I have compression. I then
      removed the carb. disassembled it, cleaned all the internal parts and
      it still does the same thing. It turns over fine, lights work, but it
      will not start. What the heck shoudl I try next. I am waiting on the
      Haynes manual to arrive. Any ideas are appreciated. By the way I can
      now remove and resintall my airbox and carbs with my eyes closed. HELP!
    • Jason Stevens
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
        Had the same thing and charged the battery to no avail.  It ended up being the battery anyway.  Replaced it and started right up.  I put the battery charger on the old one a few times and it said full charge but wasn't enough.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
          Did you try cleaning out the fuel tank..and making sure the strainer in there is not plugged? that happened to me once...i also put an inline fuel filter, to trap the little rust particles that like to build up....

          Jason Stevens <jasonj_j@...> wrote: Had the same thing and charged the battery to no avail. It ended up being the battery anyway. Replaced it and started right up. I put the battery charger on the old one a few times and it said full charge but wasn't enough.

          I just bought a 1998 TBS with 12,000 mile and it will not start. It
          turns over but will not start. I have flushed out the fuel tank,
          replaced the plugs, charged the battery, used my truck battery,
          replaced the air filter, still will not turn over. I then checked the
          spark and all three plugs are firing and I have compression. I then
          removed the carb. disassembled it, cleaned all the internal parts and
          it still does the same thing. It turns over fine, lights work, but it
          will not start. What the heck shoudl I try next. I am waiting on the
          Haynes manual to arrive. Any ideas are appreciated. By the way I can
          now remove and resintall my airbox and carbs with my eyes closed. HELP!

          16EFE88F4

        • Harry Coleman
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2008
            If you still have the original plug wires, change them.  Plugs and wires are succeptable to moisture.  All kinds of moisture even dew in the morning.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
              there is also a small screen where the fuel line connects into the first carb (I think), which would be a good thing to check (and remove if you install an inline fuel filter!!,

              Mo <sazerac99us@...> wrote: Did you try cleaning out the fuel tank..and making sure the strainer in there is not plugged? that happened to me once...i also put an inline fuel filter, to trap the little rust particles that like to build up....

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                I will try a new battery, I found the small filter that is in the end
                of the fuel line and cleaned it, but you never know. There is no
                local Triumph dealer, any ideas where to buy replacement plug wires,
                even aftermark wires are fine with me.

                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Harry Coleman

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                  I wouldn't worry about the wires until you've tried the new battery.  I would bet that's all that's needed.  I thought about doing all that too.  Replaced the battery and runs smooth.  You've got low mileage on it.

                  <hcole50380@ ...> wrote:

                  > If you still have the original plug wires, change them.  Plugs and
                  wires are succeptable to moisture.  All kinds of moisture even dew in
                  the morning.

                • John Shern
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                    These bikes are made to fail. Crankcase position sensor fell to pieces (plastic in constant oil) on the one I had.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                      thats bullshit...these are among the most reliable bikes around...my spring has 35K miles and worst thats ever happened to it was a clogged fuel filter (my fault, i admit)

                      John Shern <notgointhatway@...> wrote: These bikes are made to fail. Crankcase position sensor fell to pieces (plastic in constant oil) on the one I had.

                    • bitoart@pacbell.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
                        I side with sazerac99us - It sure sounds moisture related. Small cracks
                        in the plug wire and boot aren't always so visable. Swap them out and
                        see if the problem clears.
                      • jim Bousman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                          Whenever you think the wires might be bad, shoot some WD40 on them. It temporally displaces any moisture and plugs should fire. This is only a temp fix (unless your driving a '60's Beetle with a 40 horse motor and a 6 volt system. Then it's a daily necessity.)

                          JimBO

                          I side with sazerac99us - It sure sounds moisture related. Small cracks
                          in the plug wire and boot aren't always so visable. Swap them out and
                          see if the problem clears.

                        • Wayne Baker
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                            Well Sir,
                            Maybe you should ride something else like one of those Chinese imports.

                            > These bikes are made to fail. Crankcase position sensor fell
                            > to pieces (plastic in constant oil) on the one I had.
                            >
                            > --- On Sun, 10/5/08, teampummy <tlplumley2@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > From: teampummy <tlplumley2@...>
                            > Subject: [T TBS R] Re: TBS will not start
                            > To: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
                            > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 2:25 PM
                            >

                            > I will try a new battery, I found the small filter that is
                            > in the end
                            > of the fuel line and cleaned it, but you never know. There
                            > is no
                            > local Triumph dealer, any ideas where to buy replacement
                            > plug wires,
                            > even aftermark wires are fine with me.
                            >
                            > --- In triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com,
                            > Harry Coleman
                            > <hcole50380@ ...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > If you still have the original plug wires, change
                            > them.  Plugs and
                            > wires are succeptable to moisture.  All kinds of moisture
                            > even dew in
                            > the morning.
                            > >
                            > > --- On Sat, 10/4/08, teampummy <tlplumley2@ ...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > From: teampummy <tlplumley2@ ...>
                            > > Subject: [T TBS R] TBS will not start
                            > > To: triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com
                            > > Date: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 9:19 PM
                            > >

                            > > I just bought a 1998 TBS with 12,000 mile and it will
                            > not start. It
                            > > turns over but will not start. I have flushed out the
                            > fuel tank,
                            > > replaced the plugs, charged the battery, used my truck
                            > battery,
                            > > replaced the air filter, still will not turn over. I
                            > then checked
                            > the
                            > > spark and all three plugs are firing and I have
                            > compression. I then
                            > > removed the carb. disassembled it, cleaned all the
                            > internal parts
                            > and
                            > > it still does the same thing. It turns over fine,
                            > lights work, but
                            > it
                            > > will not start. What the heck shoudl I try next. I am
                            > waiting on
                            > the
                            > > Haynes manual to arrive. Any ideas are appreciated. By
                            > the way I
                            > can
                            > > now remove and resintall my airbox and carbs with my
                            > eyes closed.
                            > HELP!

                            > (Yahoo! ID required)
                            >

                            > mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          • tonsofasshole
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                              Can't hurt to mention the obvious. Did you make sure the kill switch
                              was in the on position? How about this....hop on the bike..put the
                              kick stand up and try it then with the clutch in. Electrical issues
                              can be such a pain!

                              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jim Bousman