Clutch

  • kumara04
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2008
      Just joined this group and hoping for some advice
      The bike having stood for several years I now have her already to go,
      except one problem.
      Starts fine, when put her in gear she stops/stalls
      Side stand is up!
      Tried in to 1st and to 2nd, stalls!
      Tried starting in gear, with cluth lever pulled in, wont start
      I feel the clutch plates having stood for a few years are dragging or
      simply not disangaging.
      I have just ordered a Haynes manual, but could anyone give advice on if
      this could be problem, or any other suggestions.
      How easy a task is it to access the cluth plates

      Thanks
      Mike
    • Alec Gore
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
        Check the microswitch on the sidestand, it's probably stuck. Spray with WD40
        or replace.

        Regards

        Alec

        Starts fine, when put her in gear she stops/stalls Side stand is up!
        Tried in to 1st and to 2nd, stalls!

        Database version: 5.10820
      • l-m.wasdyke@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
          Also check the wiring for the microswitch it goes into a 3 wire plug. I had one wire separate from its pin inside of the plug.
          Good luck
          Larry
        • Todd Luchette
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2008
            As you say. I just did this on a Buell this weekend that had suffered
            the same symptom. WD40 did work, but I replaced the switch as this is
            my girlfriend's bike and I knew it would make her feel better (and it
            was only $8.72).

            On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:22 AM, Alec Gore wrote:

            > Check the microswitch on the sidestand, it's probably stuck. Spray
            > with WD40
            > or replace.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Alec

          • kumara04
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2008
              Yesterday I took the switch off, sealed unit so not much can do, under
              the rubber 'boot' was quite oily.. however traced the cable back (as
              said 3 core) to a lug and socket (Two core from that point).
              Testing the switch from the plug with ohms meter the switch operated
              fine. NC when not operating, i.e. switch closed when stand up.
              So the sitch looks ok.
              However after further thought next job I will connect the two points in
              the socket, as this will replicate the switch closed. If no change then
              I can eliminate the switch...That's todays job
              Thanks so far
              Mike
            • Todd Luchette
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2008
                Sounds right to me.

                Todd

                On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:54 PM, kumara04 wrote:

                > Yesterday I took the switch off, sealed unit so not much can do, under
                > the rubber 'boot' was quite oily.. however traced the cable back (as
                > said 3 core) to a lug and socket (Two core from that point).
                > Testing the switch from the plug with ohms meter the switch operated
                > fine. NC when not operating, i.e. switch closed when stand up.
                > So the sitch looks ok.
                > However after further thought next job I will connect the two points
                > in
                > the socket, as this will replicate the switch closed. If no change
                > then
                > I can eliminate the switch...That's todays job
                > Thanks so far
                > Mike

                "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
                signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
                not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
                President Dwight D. Eisenhower
                April 16, 1953

              • kumara04
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
                  Ref: Bike stalls when put in gear!
                  Remember this bike has been in a shed for 6 years

                  Having I beleive eliminated the kick stand switch
                  Reading newly aquired Haynes manual, I thought I would look at the
                  clutch plates. (The book suggests could be stuck together) If nothing
                  else you learn a bit about your bike!
                  Anyway took all the plates off which looked fine to me. put back on,
                  snapped a bolt...gave up for the day...Today managed to extract the
                  broken bolt and fit the clutch again.
                  I noted, and did note before snapped bolt the torcue settings quite low
                  for these bots, beware if you do! Did these to 10NM as book but added
                  some thread lock to be happy

                  Now this is my only modern motorcycle, my only other bikes are all
                  Sunbeams www.onthebeam.co.uk
                  Now the Sunbeam has a dry clutch and that's all I have any experience
                  off. When I disengage when in gear on the Sunbeam, the rear wheel turns
                  and freely as if not in gear at all.
                  However with no experience of a 'wet' clutch, with several plates all
                  covered in oil, then there is some drive to the rear wheel, i.e. when
                  clutch operated in gear, the wheel is not 'locked' but does take some
                  of a small effort to push around by hand, rather than freely if not in
                  gear at all.
                  Does that make sence?
                  Is this correct, I feel must be but interested in feedback

                  So assuming not side stand switch and clutch plates not stuck. Any
                  thoughts?

                  I'm now considering the switch on the clutch lever!
                  Not 100% what this does?
                  It reads stops you starting the bike in gear, however if a fault will
                  it also stall the bike if not operating correct?

                  Any thoughts, especially on the rear wheeel and should it turn freely
                  when in gear with clutch disangaged or would I expect some drag from
                  the 'wet' clutch

                  Cheers

                  Mike
                • cpallenjr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
                    The symptom for the clutch plates sticking is a big lurch, followed
                    by the engine stalling. It is definately not something that seems
                    electrical.

                    The neutral and clutch switches only interrupt the starting circuits,
                    not the run. The kickstand switch will kill the motor if running and
                    the bike is not in neutral.

                    A third possibility is the connection jumper for the accessory alarm,
                    which is a blue wire from pin 6 to 8 on an otherwise empty connector
                    44 which if I recall correctly is in front of the battery. I have no
                    experience with this myself, but it look likes electrically-speaking
                    it could be your problem.

                    Good Luck
                    Courtney in Seattle

                    --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "kumara04"
                    <kumara40@...> wrote:

                    > Ref: Bike stalls when put in gear!
                    > Remember this bike has been in a shed for 6 years
                    >
                    > Having I beleive eliminated the kick stand switch
                    > Reading newly aquired Haynes manual, I thought I would look at the
                    > clutch plates. (The book suggests could be stuck together) If
                    nothing
                    > else you learn a bit about your bike!
                    > Anyway took all the plates off which looked fine to me. put back
                    on,
                    > snapped a bolt...gave up for the day...Today managed to extract the
                    > broken bolt and fit the clutch again.
                    > I noted, and did note before snapped bolt the torcue settings quite
                    low
                    > for these bots, beware if you do! Did these to 10NM as book but
                    added
                    > some thread lock to be happy
                    >
                    > Now this is my only modern motorcycle, my only other bikes are all
                    > Sunbeams www.onthebeam.co.uk
                    > Now the Sunbeam has a dry clutch and that's all I have any
                    experience
                    > off. When I disengage when in gear on the Sunbeam, the rear wheel
                    turns
                    > and freely as if not in gear at all.
                    > However with no experience of a 'wet' clutch, with several plates
                    all
                    > covered in oil, then there is some drive to the rear wheel, i.e.
                    when
                    > clutch operated in gear, the wheel is not 'locked' but does take
                    some
                    > of a small effort to push around by hand, rather than freely if not
                    in
                    > gear at all.
                    > Does that make sence?
                    > Is this correct, I feel must be but interested in feedback
                    >
                    > So assuming not side stand switch and clutch plates not stuck. Any
                    > thoughts?
                    >
                    > I'm now considering the switch on the clutch lever!
                    > Not 100% what this does?
                    > It reads stops you starting the bike in gear, however if a fault
                    will
                    > it also stall the bike if not operating correct?
                    >
                    > Any thoughts, especially on the rear wheeel and should it turn
                    freely
                    > when in gear with clutch disangaged or would I expect some drag
                    from
                    > the 'wet' clutch
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Mike

                  • John Shern
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
                      Remove chain from bike, start bike. Does bike run?

                      <kumara40@.. .> wrote:

                      > Ref: Bike stalls when put in gear!
                      > Remember this bike has been in a shed for 6 years
                      >
                      > Having I beleive eliminated the kick stand switch
                      > Reading newly aquired Haynes manual, I thought I would look at the
                      > clutch plates. (The book suggests could be stuck together) If
                      nothing
                      > else you learn a bit about your bike!
                      > Anyway took all the plates off which looked fine to me. put back
                      on,
                      > snapped a bolt...gave up for the day...Today managed to extract the
                      > broken bolt and fit the clutch again.
                      > I noted, and did note before snapped bolt the torcue settings quite
                      low
                      > for these bots, beware if you do! Did these to 10NM as book but
                      added
                      > some thread lock to be happy
                      >
                      > Now this is my only modern motorcycle, my only other bikes are all
                      > Sunbeams www.onthebeam. co.uk
                      > Now the Sunbeam has a dry clutch and that's all I have any
                      experience
                      > off. When I disengage when in gear on the Sunbeam, the rear wheel
                      turns
                      > and freely as if not in gear at all.
                      > However with no experience of a 'wet' clutch, with several plates
                      all
                      > covered in oil, then there is some drive to the rear wheel, i.e.
                      when
                      > clutch operated in gear, the wheel is not 'locked' but does take
                      some
                      > of a small effort to push around by hand, rather than freely if not
                      in
                      > gear at all.
                      > Does that make sence?
                      > Is this correct, I feel must be but interested in feedback
                      >
                      > So assuming not side stand switch and clutch plates not stuck. Any
                      > thoughts?
                      >
                      > I'm now considering the switch on the clutch lever!
                      > Not 100% what this does?
                      > It reads stops you starting the bike in gear, however if a fault
                      will
                      > it also stall the bike if not operating correct?
                      >
                      > Any thoughts, especially on the rear wheeel and should it turn
                      freely
                      > when in gear with clutch disangaged or would I expect some drag
                      from
                      > the 'wet' clutch
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Mike

                    • kumara04
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
                        Happy to say got it sorted last night
                        In all been a worth while experience as learnt a lot about the
                        motorcycle, which can only be helpful.

                        I was myself convinced electrical, the Haynes wiring diagram is quite
                        good, but a lot of extra information would be good.

                        What I hadn't said earlier was the bike had just come back from a
                        Triumph dealer, having givern them several hundred pounds to do a
                        full major service, new chain, battery, MOT etc. So either they never
                        acturally put her in gear or would have found the problem, or simply
                        didnt tell me!

                        They did say they had took the fuse out from the alarm as the alarm
                        was not working, which when I dismantelled found a very corroded
                        battery, I unplugged the unit. (The dealer simply pulled the fuse as
                        they said it was causing the bike to not start)

                        So...and it looks like the last post was going were I went
                        eventurally, after much studying of the circuits I moved the link in
                        one of the alarm auxillary sockets and she went into gear no problem.
                        I had relised that when fitting the alarm they had maved the original
                        link to give a - connection to one of the alarm sockets, thus when I
                        removed the alarm had to relocate the link. (Something the dealer
                        didnt seam to pick up on either.

                        So turned out to be very simple, still as said, I have got to know a
                        little more about the bike and that's no bad thing.

                        Thanks for all the suggestions

                        Mike
                        Stockton on Tees, UK