Re: [T TBS R] Exhausts and the UK MOT.

  • Hans Hansson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
      I have the "off road" silencers on my TBS -04 and they sounds really good! Here in Sweden we have to do an inspection of the bike every second year. I vwas a bit worried about what they should say about the noise when I this spring went for inspection for the first time, but it passed whitout any discussion. I supose that it could depend on the inspector what result it will be, but I dont think they sounds too much if you compare with ot

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
        I've never had a problem passing the MOT with my triumph off-road
        pipes: They aren't excessively noisy at100dB @ 5500rpm (I know this
        because of mandatory noise testing at a track day).

        The MOT states it is up to the discretion of the tester to determine
        if the noise level is excessive. However, it does specifically say you
        can't pass systems which are "clearly" marked as not for road use.

        Many MOT testers find these markings 'hard to see' ;) So everyone is
        happy.

        A friend has a beautiful Ducati 1000 sport - and his Termignoni system
        without baffles is frankly painfully and anti-socially loud at any
        revs! Even with the baffles, it's border line.

        Regards,
        Brian

        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Hans Hansson
        <risveden04@...> wrote:

        > I have the "off road" silencers on my TBS -04 and they sounds really
        good! Here in Sweden we have to do an inspection of the bike every
        second year. I vwas a bit worried about what they should say about the
        noise when I this spring went for inspection for the first time, but
        it passed whitout any discussion. I supose that it could depend on the
        inspector what result it will be, but I dont think they sounds too
        much if you compare with ot

      • Wayne Baker
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
          I am not sure about European standards as far as testing goes but I have ran a set of the Off Roads and even tho they sound good they are pretty mild compared to the Emglows I replaced them with. The Emglows was really rude until I repacked them with good fiberglass.
          A suggestion maybe is to take the bike in without doing a good clean up then the inspector may miss that little disclaimer stamped on the bottom of the muffs.

          > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Hans
          > Hansson
          > <risveden04@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have the "off road" silencers on my TBS
          > -04 and they sounds really
          > good! Here in Sweden we have to do an inspection of the
          > bike every
          > second year. I vwas a bit worried about what they should
          > say about the
          > noise when I this spring went for inspection for the first
          > time, but
          > it passed whitout any discussion. I supose that it could
          > depend on the
          > inspector what result it will be, but I dont think they
          > sounds too
          > much if you compare with ot
          > >
          > > --- Den sön 2008-08-31 skrev jim Bousman
          > <jimbousman@...>:
          > >
          > > Från: jim Bousman <jimbousman@...>
          > > Ämne: Re: [T TBS R] Exhausts and the UK MOT.
          > > Till: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com
          > > Datum: söndag 31 augusti 2008 07.21
          > >

          > > I have a set of "off roads" on my 'bird.
          > They snort. Doubt they pass
          > any "official" noise abatement standard. They
          > sound good to me.
          > >
          > > JimBo
          > >
          > > '04 Speedmaster
          > > '95 TBird
          > > '73 Tiger

        • LUIS VIVANCOS
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
            Good, I´m thinking of installing the "off road" too. Have you felt any power improvement on the bike, and by the way, how much are they?

            all the best

            Luis

            Från: jim Bousman <jimbousman@yahoo. com>

            Till: triumphthunderbirds portriders@ yahoogroups. com

            Those are definitely the Triumph supplied Triumph Off Road silencers.

            They probably will not pass MOT. I imagine some TBS rider from the UK will be

            along shortly with some advice. I have a used pair of originals, but the

            shipping cost from here in the US would likely be prohibitive.

            If it's like inspections were here in Indiana several years ago, just have to

            find a friendly inspection station to get it passed. That's one of the reasons

            Indiana stopped requiring inspections, corruption in the inspection locations.

            --On August 30, 2008 8:15:45 PM +0100 Andrew Jenkins

            <andrew.jenkins@ bigfoot.com> wrote:

            > While polishing the bike this afternoon I felt some embossing on the

            > pipes underneath. The panel reads:

            > TRIUMPH 9600003

            > This product does not conform to

            > EPA noise standards. Use on motorcycles

            > subject to EPA regulations constitutes

            > tampering and is a violation of federal

            > law. This product is designed for closed

            > circuit competition use only.

            > NOT FOR ROAD USE.

            > Searching around I've found that the EPA Regulations are an

            > American Environmental control (obvious by the reference to

            > Federal Law I guess). I thought the exhausts were the original

            > fit 'megaphones' that all T'Bird Sports have.

            > Now for the questions, does anyone know if these are the

            > original exhausts (or have they been changed) and more importantly,

            > does this mean I'm going to have fun trying to get through an

            > MOT here in the UK ?

            > (For our American readers, the UK MOT test is an annual safety

            > check which all cars and bike must pass to remain road-worthy) .

            > Andy Jenkins.

            > 1999 Thunderbird Sport 900 in Yellow.

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___

            Sök efter kärleken!

            Hitta din tvillingsjäl på Yahoo! Dejting: http://ad.doublecli ck.net/clk; 185753627; 24584539; x?http:// se.meetic. yahoo.net/ index.php? mtcmk=148783

          • brianposullivan
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
              The biggest improvement is the sound - the bike now sounds like a
              squadron of lancasters when cruising, and like a spitfire at full song
              when pushing on. I will harp on about this until people are screaming
              for me to stop... but no two wheeler sounds as amazing as the TBS on
              off road pipes: It is pure heaven to my ears and I never tire of the
              range of sounds this amazing engine can produce. Even on 4 wheels, I
              think the only cars that get close for aural excellence are the Aston
              Martin V12's.

              They don't instantly add any power - but if you get it dyno tuned and
              the carbs tweaked (doesn't necessarily need a dynojet kit with a
              skilled operator) there is an easy extra 10% power at the back wheel
              that can be gained. I took mine to the dyno this summer, and I went
              from 70 bhp at the back wheel to 78 bhp, with more power at all parts
              of the rev range: What was also amazing is that he diagnosed very rich
              running (which I had always suspected) and also managed to increase my
              average imperial MPG from 40 to 50mpg!

              Now the bad bit - they don't make the aftermarket exhausts anymore: So
              it's a matter of picking them up off e-bay. Although I'm pretty sure
              some of the bonneville exhausts externally look identical, and if you
              have the skill you may be able to weld your own captive nuts so that
              they will fit: But this is purely speculation on my part. In fact the
              more tenacious amongst may discover who the actual exhaust
              manufacturer is and see if they can be co-erced into make another
              batch - I would certainly buy another set for safe keeping.

              Cheers,
              Brian

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, LUIS VIVANCOS
              <luisananda@...> wrote:

              > Good, I´m thinking of installing the "off road" too. Have you felt
              any power improvement on the bike, and by the way, how much are they?

              > all the best
              >
              > Luis

            • Martin Daybell
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                I have the same silencers on my 03 TBS , but the bike came with the original silencers as well.The bike is coming up for its first MOT since i bought it, so I,ve put back the quieter original silincers for the MOT.
                If you want a pair of the quieter original silencers look on E-BAY there are a couple of pairs up for sale, but they are not cheap, and have a few of bids on them.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 3, 2008
                  --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Jenkins
                  <andrew.jenkins@...> wrote:

                  > While polishing the bike this afternoon I felt some embossing on the
                  > pipes underneath. The panel reads:
                  >
                  > TRIUMPH 9600003
                  > This product does not conform to
                  > EPA noise standards. Use on motorcycles
                  > subject to EPA regulations constitutes
                  > tampering and is a violation of federal
                  > law. This product is designed for closed
                  > circuit competition use only.
                  > NOT FOR ROAD USE.
                  >

                  > Searching around I've found that the EPA Regulations are an
                  > American Environmental control (obvious by the reference to
                  > Federal Law I guess). I thought the exhausts were the original
                  > fit 'megaphones' that all T'Bird Sports have.
                  > Now for the questions, does anyone know if these are the
                  > original exhausts (or have they been changed) and more importantly,
                  > does this mean I'm going to have fun trying to get through an
                  > MOT here in the UK ?
                  > (For our American readers, the UK MOT test is an annual safety
                  > check which all cars and bike must pass to remain road-worthy).
                  >
                  > Andy Jenkins.
                  > 1999 Thunderbird Sport 900 in Yellow.
                  >If you want a pair of the standard silencers look on E-Bay,
                  yesterday there where at least two pairs up for auction.My TBS came
                  with the noisey pair fitted and the standard pair in a box.Ive taken
                  off the loud pair for the first MOT since Ive own the bike,just in
                  case and will refit the loud ones after.You can also get stickers off
                  E-Bay, that are heat proof that will just about cover the embossed
                  EPA panel,that say this silencer conforms to European noise
                  regulations.
                  Martin Daybell
                  2003 Black T-Bird Sport