Which tyres are best?

  • luisananda
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2008
      Hi! I´ve got to replace tyres and I don´t know which ones to choose.
      Any suggestion, please explain a little the choices.

      Thanks

      Luis
    • brianposullivan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "luisananda"
        <luisananda@...> wrote:

        > Hi! I´ve got to replace tyres and I don´t know which ones to choose.
        > Any suggestion, please explain a little the choices.

        Depends what you want. I ran BT020 for a long time, and they were good
        enough for normal riding, with very good mileage. The handling went
        off quite a while before tread was at limit, but that's par for the
        course with modern tyres.

        Then I tried some Michelin Pilot Sports for giggles - and that marks
        an epoch in my biking life!!! After 12 years of riding, 8 of those as
        advanced test pass rider, I regained that initial excitement of riding
        a bike for the first time.

        Have a look for the yellow TBS in the gallery for TBS track day
        picture of kneedown: You can't believe the satisfaction of people
        laughing at your bike on a track day before you go out, and then going
        very quiet on the second and subsequent sessions when you've had
        kneedown at every corner! Of course, they don't last long (4k miles
        front, 2.5k rear!)

        Anyhow - I'm now addicted to track days and bought a Hornet 600 as my
        track weapon. My beloved TBS is now back to road duties, where I can
        revel in its plaintive symphony.

        I think the next tyres I'll try are the Avon Storms: I vowed never to
        have Avons again because their tyres used to be awful in the wet - but
        lots of people are reporting good things from them now.

        So in summary, if you want a safe choice, get the Bridgestone BT021's
        (new version of BT-020's), if you want enough grip for kneedown
        shennagins, get the Michelin Pilot Sports (has to be 160/60/17 on the
        rear), otherwise give the Avon Storms a whirl.

        Cheers,
        Brian
      • Norm Bour
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
          Great insight Brian. I am on my second set of BT-021 (the new version of the
          20's), and I love them. I'm not a track rider, probably never will be, but I
          am envious of the talents of you and the tires to get the knees down! Two
          broken shoulders and collar bone put that outside my comfort zone.

          My '99 TBS which I got in '04 had crappy Avons which hated. Picked up
          freeway line groves here in The Golden State and the first Battle Axes
          (BT-020) were a Godsend. If the Avons can get 12,000 miles and still have
          room I'd be willing to try.

          alohanorm
          The OC

          <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
          <luisananda@...> wrote:

          > Hi! I´ve got to replace tyres and I don´t know which ones to choose.
          > Any suggestion, please explain a little the choices.

          Depends what you want. I ran BT020 for a long time, and they were good
          enough for normal riding, with very good mileage. The handling went
          off quite a while before tread was at limit, but that's par for the
          course with modern tyres.

          Then I tried some Michelin Pilot Sports for giggles - and that marks
          an epoch in my biking life!!! After 12 years of riding, 8 of those as
          advanced test pass rider, I regained that initial excitement of riding
          a bike for the first time.

          Have a look for the yellow TBS in the gallery for TBS track day
          picture of kneedown: You can't believe the satisfaction of people
          laughing at your bike on a track day before you go out, and then going
          very quiet on the second and subsequent sessions when you've had
          kneedown at every corner! Of course, they don't last long (4k miles
          front, 2.5k rear!)

          Anyhow - I'm now addicted to track days and bought a Hornet 600 as my
          track weapon. My beloved TBS is now back to road duties, where I can
          revel in its plaintive symphony.

          I think the next tyres I'll try are the Avon Storms: I vowed never to
          have Avons again because their tyres used to be awful in the wet - but
          lots of people are reporting good things from them now.

          So in summary, if you want a safe choice, get the Bridgestone BT021's
          (new version of BT-020's), if you want enough grip for kneedown
          shennagins, get the Michelin Pilot Sports (has to be 160/60/17 on the
          rear), otherwise give the Avon Storms a whirl.

          Cheers,
          Brian

        • Michael McLaughlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            I recently had an Avon Storm front tire installed and have been very
            happy with it, even after a lengthy ride in the rain this weekend.

            -Mike

            > I think the next tyres I'll try are the Avon Storms: I vowed never to
            > have Avons again because their tyres used to be awful in the wet - but
            > lots of people are reporting good things from them now.

          • tbsbiker2
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
              3 weeks ago had a full set of Avon Storms. Have yet to ride them in
              any heavy rain but so far much improved over the standard
              rubber...which I admit was OEM and probably a bit dry.

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Michael

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                I have Storms now, I like them better than the Azzarro ST's I had before.
                Azzarro's lasted 12K or so. The Storms are wearing well with about 3 K on them so far.

                Thank You,
                Denny

                On Tuesday, September 02, 2008, at 01:13PM, "tbsbiker2" <tbsbiker2@...> wrote:
                >3 weeks ago had a full set of Avon Storms. Have yet to ride them in
                >any heavy rain but so far much improved over the standard
                >rubber...which I admit was OEM and probably a bit dry.
                >
                >--- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Michael
                >McLaughlin <mcloffs@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I recently had an Avon Storm front tire installed and have been
                >very
                >> happy with it, even after a lengthy ride in the rain this weekend.
                >>
                >> -Mike
                >>
                >> > I think the next tyres I'll try are the Avon Storms: I vowed
                >never to
                >> > have Avons again because their tyres used to be awful in the
                >wet - but
                >> > lots of people are reporting good things from them now.

              • Andrew Jenkins
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
                  > Denny wrote:
                  >
                  > I have Storms now, I like them better than the Azzarro ST's I had before.
                  > Azzarro's lasted 12K or so. The Storms are wearing well with about 3
                  K on them so far.

                  > Thank You,
                  > Denny

                  A pair of Storm ST's here too. Seem to give me a bit more confidence in
                  the wet
                  (and let's face it, I've had plenty of 'wet' practice here in Wales
                  recently).

                  Andy Jenkins.