Re: Intermittent screech

  • Mario Zarnich
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30 12:14 PM
      Thanks but it doens't only happen on upshifts. Its very random. Sometimes just after ups, sometimes after downs, sometimes when just cruising along. Sometimes it's really bloody loud, other times pretty faint and very brief. Argh!

      I think I might just have a bit of crap (a stone?) that has gotten into one of the holes in the alternator cover, and it occcasionaly jams up in there. It sounds like its coming from there maybe and that cover is flimsy enough to resonate with the kind of loud, shrill and metallic screech Im hearing. Its a theory, pretty easy to check out so I'll take a look in there real soon.

      PS: I am an experienced mechanic, but there are always ellusive and obscure (weird-ass) problems, and other people out there that have additional and potentially valuable experience to offer, so I'm wide open to any input. Thanks for all thats been given so far.

      M.

      > Try clutch-less upshifts and see if the noise goes away?
      > I don't know what it could be, but it could get expensive if not found
      > & cured. If the above doesn't give any clues I'd suggest taking it to
      > a dealer and getting an experienced mechanic to try it out?
      > Richard T.
      > > <sp33d3@...> wrote:
      >> Hey, have any of you guys ever heard of TBirds making an intermittent
      >> and very brief high pitched screeching noise?
      >>
      >> Im not talking about tire noise, this sounds mechanical. I've got a
      >> real low mile 02 TBird that just started doing this. Randomly, usually
      >> at higher speeds, lasts for a second or less, has happened on upshifts
      >> while accelerating briskly. It's very loud and alarming.

      Mario

      Top motorcycle service: www.geocities.com/speed3freaks
      Custom Triumphs: www.geocities.com/sp33d3

      Atlanta GA's RAT Pack: www.Ratlantans.com

    • taylorrguk
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Mario Zarnich
        <sp33d3@...> wrote:

        > PS: I am an experienced mechanic,

        In that case, is it anything like a failing water pump bearing?

        Richard T.
      • Mario Zarnich
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2008
          It's soooo intermittent it's hard to locate, and the v/low miles/newness of this bike make me think it's not a dry bearing. Could be though, weird things happen.

          No joy finding any loose cr@p in the alternator, but in the test ride after checking the damn noise didn't recur.

          M.