RE: [T TBS R] Lowering rear suspension on a TBS

  • Gary L. Gavin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2008
      The TBS does not have ride height adjustments on the suspension. I'd think
      that only race bikes would. The stock seat can be cut down. You can remove
      the cover by prying the staples off from under the seat. An electric
      carving knife would allow you to shave away and reshape the foam padding.
      You just don't want to remove too much. Then put the cover back in place
      and re-staple. In addition, some upholstery shops can do the work. Check
      with motorcycle shops in your area for recommendations. There are several
      people online that can do the work also. 1" to 1 1/2" may be too much to
      take out of the seat.

      When I lowered my wife's Sportster there were special shorter fork springs
      for the front forks and shorter eye to eye shocks for the rear available.
      This kept the overall balance of the bike about the same. The suspension,
      to keep from bottoming out, is very stiff. Even so, the forks will bottom
      out and the frame drags on speed bumps if you don't crawl over them. In
      addition we changed the seat for a Lepera Bare Bones model that is about a
      1/2" thick. Who knows if there is any padding. I also had a pair of Bates
      boots made for her as well. The result is that at 5' tall she can get the
      balls of her feet on the ground.

      The pre 1050 Tiger model machines are very tall. I'm 5' 9" and on the TBS
      with the solo saddle and Sidi On Road boots I can flat foot it. On the
      Tiger my toes touch the ground and are helping maintain my balance. If you
      look at the modern motocross riders you will notice that they scoot a cheek
      and 1/2 or so off the saddle to get a foot on the ground. Riding a Tiger is
      the same. If at all possible, instead of modifying the suspension or
      cutting down your seat try and learn to stop and start as if you are on a
      motocross bike.

      00 Tiger
      07 Mini Cooper S
      85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
      Oahu, Hawaii

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2008
        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "askfever"
        <askfever@...> wrote:

        > Are there slimmer seats available perhaps?

        Yes!
        If you are riding solo, the Triumph accessory single seat has much
        thinner padding, and will sit you at least 1" lower.
        http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC00438.jpg

        Longer drop links are available for many sports bikes, but I've never
        seen any for the TBS.
        A few years ago a friend and I designed some adjustable drop links for
        our Trophy's, and he had a batch made for sale. Unfortunately these
        don't fit the Thunderbird series or Tigers, only Trophys, and other
        carb engined Daytonas, Speed triples, Sprints etc.
        http://www.bikerschoice.co.uk/rha/

        Richard T.
      • Gary L. Gavin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2008
          If you follow (cut and paste) this link to BikeBandit.com you will see the
          schematic for the rear suspension linkage for the Legend TT.
          http://tinyurl.com/5yvwy2 Item #15 in the drawing is the drop link (aka
          dogbone) that needs to be replaced to lower the rear of the bike.
          BikeBandit/Triumph was so nice as to include the length, in mm, which is
          185. the USD price is 36.84 and I've found that my dealer is usually about
          10% higher which more than covers shipping to Hawaii.

          I know that this solution works because in the past members of this list
          have purchased or made the part and installed it. The Legend TT, IIRC, was
          a combination of Thunderbird/Sport parts with a different rear subframe to
          target riders' needs for a Triumph with a lower seat height at 28.5" vs. the
          TBS 31.1". In a factory photo it looks like the sides of the saddle were
          shaved to allow your legs to be closer in (the shortest distance between two
          points is a straight line). A Legend saddle may fit the TBS subframe. If
          it doesn't then you should be able to relocate the rear locking pin as one
          would do to fit a Corbin Thunderbird saddle (http://tinyurl.com/3j5jbf) to a
          TBS.

          00 Tiger
          07 Mini Cooper S
          85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
          Oahu, Hawaii

          _____

          <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
          <askfever@...> wrote:

          > Are there slimmer seats available perhaps?

          Yes!
          If you are riding solo, the Triumph accessory single seat has much
          thinner padding, and will sit you at least 1" lower.
          http://s9.photobuck
          <http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC0
          0438.jpg> et.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC00438.jpg

          Longer drop links are available for many sports bikes, but I've never
          seen any for the TBS.
          A few years ago a friend and I designed some adjustable drop links for
          our Trophy's, and he had a batch made for sale. Unfortunately these
          don't fit the Thunderbird series or Tigers, only Trophys, and other
          carb engined Daytonas, Speed triples, Sprints etc.
          http://www.bikersch <http://www.bikerschoice.co.uk/rha/> oice.co.uk/rha/

          Richard T.

        • Guy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2008
            Greetings all,
            I used the T-bird Legend model dog bones, trimmed the seat foam and
            since it was at the seat cover shop had it redone 2 tone blakc and
            orange, I had a foto online in another Triumph group that was
            discontinued. I also went to 170/60 17 tires and had dealer install 1
            tooth larger drive (front) sprocket to bring the revs down.
            the 170/60 is approx. 1.5 inch shoter in overall diameter.
            Since I don't do knee dragging turns and many times putting the feet
            down on uneven pavement in NYC, I didn't need that much ground
            clearance.
            I hope that'll help you make the needed changes to make your ride
            more comfortable.

            y2kTBS
            '78 GS750E 'zuki

            --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Gary L.