Re: [T TBS R] Lowering rear suspension on a TBS

  • askfever
    Message 1 of 8 , May 15, 2008
      Is there any other way than changing the fork? I'm not too sure I'll
      know where to find the part, or where to custom build one.

      Is there an adjustment that can be made?

      Are there slimmer seats available perhaps?
    • Gary L. Gavin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2008
        The TBS does not have ride height adjustments on the suspension. I'd think
        that only race bikes would. The stock seat can be cut down. You can remove
        the cover by prying the staples off from under the seat. An electric
        carving knife would allow you to shave away and reshape the foam padding.
        You just don't want to remove too much. Then put the cover back in place
        and re-staple. In addition, some upholstery shops can do the work. Check
        with motorcycle shops in your area for recommendations. There are several
        people online that can do the work also. 1" to 1 1/2" may be too much to
        take out of the seat.

        When I lowered my wife's Sportster there were special shorter fork springs
        for the front forks and shorter eye to eye shocks for the rear available.
        This kept the overall balance of the bike about the same. The suspension,
        to keep from bottoming out, is very stiff. Even so, the forks will bottom
        out and the frame drags on speed bumps if you don't crawl over them. In
        addition we changed the seat for a Lepera Bare Bones model that is about a
        1/2" thick. Who knows if there is any padding. I also had a pair of Bates
        boots made for her as well. The result is that at 5' tall she can get the
        balls of her feet on the ground.

        The pre 1050 Tiger model machines are very tall. I'm 5' 9" and on the TBS
        with the solo saddle and Sidi On Road boots I can flat foot it. On the
        Tiger my toes touch the ground and are helping maintain my balance. If you
        look at the modern motocross riders you will notice that they scoot a cheek
        and 1/2 or so off the saddle to get a foot on the ground. Riding a Tiger is
        the same. If at all possible, instead of modifying the suspension or
        cutting down your seat try and learn to stop and start as if you are on a
        motocross bike.

        00 Tiger
        07 Mini Cooper S
        85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
        Oahu, Hawaii

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2008
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "askfever"
          <askfever@...> wrote:

          > Are there slimmer seats available perhaps?

          Yes!
          If you are riding solo, the Triumph accessory single seat has much
          thinner padding, and will sit you at least 1" lower.
          http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC00438.jpg

          Longer drop links are available for many sports bikes, but I've never
          seen any for the TBS.
          A few years ago a friend and I designed some adjustable drop links for
          our Trophy's, and he had a batch made for sale. Unfortunately these
          don't fit the Thunderbird series or Tigers, only Trophys, and other
          carb engined Daytonas, Speed triples, Sprints etc.
          http://www.bikerschoice.co.uk/rha/

          Richard T.
        • Gary L. Gavin
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2008
            If you follow (cut and paste) this link to BikeBandit.com you will see the
            schematic for the rear suspension linkage for the Legend TT.
            http://tinyurl.com/5yvwy2 Item #15 in the drawing is the drop link (aka
            dogbone) that needs to be replaced to lower the rear of the bike.
            BikeBandit/Triumph was so nice as to include the length, in mm, which is
            185. the USD price is 36.84 and I've found that my dealer is usually about
            10% higher which more than covers shipping to Hawaii.

            I know that this solution works because in the past members of this list
            have purchased or made the part and installed it. The Legend TT, IIRC, was
            a combination of Thunderbird/Sport parts with a different rear subframe to
            target riders' needs for a Triumph with a lower seat height at 28.5" vs. the
            TBS 31.1". In a factory photo it looks like the sides of the saddle were
            shaved to allow your legs to be closer in (the shortest distance between two
            points is a straight line). A Legend saddle may fit the TBS subframe. If
            it doesn't then you should be able to relocate the rear locking pin as one
            would do to fit a Corbin Thunderbird saddle (http://tinyurl.com/3j5jbf) to a
            TBS.

            00 Tiger
            07 Mini Cooper S
            85 Ron Cooper (push bike)
            Oahu, Hawaii

            _____

            <mailto:triumphthunderbirdsportriders%40yahoogroups.com>
            <askfever@...> wrote:

            > Are there slimmer seats available perhaps?

            Yes!
            If you are riding solo, the Triumph accessory single seat has much
            thinner padding, and will sit you at least 1" lower.
            http://s9.photobuck
            <http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC0
            0438.jpg> et.com/albums/a54/RichardT/TBS/?action=view¤t=DSC00438.jpg

            Longer drop links are available for many sports bikes, but I've never
            seen any for the TBS.
            A few years ago a friend and I designed some adjustable drop links for
            our Trophy's, and he had a batch made for sale. Unfortunately these
            don't fit the Thunderbird series or Tigers, only Trophys, and other
            carb engined Daytonas, Speed triples, Sprints etc.
            http://www.bikersch <http://www.bikerschoice.co.uk/rha/> oice.co.uk/rha/

            Richard T.

          • Guy
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2008
              Greetings all,
              I used the T-bird Legend model dog bones, trimmed the seat foam and
              since it was at the seat cover shop had it redone 2 tone blakc and
              orange, I had a foto online in another Triumph group that was
              discontinued. I also went to 170/60 17 tires and had dealer install 1
              tooth larger drive (front) sprocket to bring the revs down.
              the 170/60 is approx. 1.5 inch shoter in overall diameter.
              Since I don't do knee dragging turns and many times putting the feet
              down on uneven pavement in NYC, I didn't need that much ground
              clearance.
              I hope that'll help you make the needed changes to make your ride
              more comfortable.

              y2kTBS
              '78 GS750E 'zuki

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Gary L.