Plug Wire replacement on TBS

  • TERRY GINN ADVERTISING
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28 12:24 PM
      Good Day to all...

      Looking to replace and possibly up grade my Plug wires... for my 2001 Triumph Adventurer.

      Suggestions? I have not inspected the boots, but I suspect we keep the same curved molded boots and insert the new ends through the old curved molded boots....

      I looked at a few vendor of bulk wire $3 per foot on line with crimp ends... Advanced Auto Parts had three types of wire to choose from...

      Lastly; running NKG Iridium Plugs, I was reading about the Nology Silver Pugs... A buddy of mine with VMAX swears by the "spit fires'.... open opinion on replacement plugs. I've two years 6,000 miles on the old plugs... the clean up very well. Center plug is continually blacker than #1 & #3. I have two sets and inter change them every month or two.... Soak the plugs in carb cleaner and swap them out every 1,000 miles or so.... Factory tuned carbs last year, center is still blacker every time...

      Open for to suggestions...

      Terry Ginn
      2001 Adventurer
      Kent, Ohio

    • jim Bousman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 2:07 PM
        Terry,
        One thing to note on replacing your plug wires is to look at the type of coil on your Adventurer. There are two types. One is the Gill coil. These have typical female connectors and will accept a standard right angle male wire end. The second is a Nology coil. This coil has a male end and require you solder a right angle female connector on to your wires. A tech note on the whole process can be found on http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-ignition-coils/

        Regarding your plugs, sounds like the NKGs are doing the job. Your choice but I tend to stick with what works.

        Good luck

        JimB

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 12:52 PM
          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, TERRY GINN
          ADVERTISING <tginnadv@...> wrote:

          > Lastly; running NKG Iridium Plugs, I was reading about the Nology
          Silver Pugs... A buddy of mine with VMAX swears by the "spit fires'....

          I tried the 'Split-fires' in my Trophy - no noticeable difference from
          standard plugs. I now have NGK Iridiums - much better & cleaner running!
          It's a no-brainer - !

          Richard T.