can't open new airbox - help!

  • geoffwaite
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
      just bought a new replacement airbox from Triumph as the old one had
      disintegrated around the screw receptacle sites. I need to open it so
      that I can attach my old drilled out frear-box and put in K&N filter.

      To my horror, it doesn't seem to open. The screws (now philips, not
      torx, BTW) just spin in the plastic.

      Have they changed the design to make it unaccessible, while still
      looking the same (dummy screws, perhaps)?

      Anyone else found this problem? Anyone got a solution before I go back
      to the Triumph store and rant?

      Thanks, geoff
    • Gary L. Gavin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
        No Way. I purchased my replacement air box 6 or so years ago and installed
        a K&N. The plastic is still in great shape. You might check to see if the
        nut is spinning in the plastic.

        00 Tiger

        07 Mini Cooper S

        85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)

        Oahu, Hawaii

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
          turns out that the new boxes have the screws permanently epoxy'd into
          the nut inserts. See my work-around in Triumphnet, if interested.