Re: Hey Did you ever drilled your exhaust??!!

  • David
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2008
      Guy, when you say "take off the pipes and do both ends " do you mean
      taken the pipe totally off the bike or just the slip on part( 1/2 of
      the pipe)??
      By the way, did you have any side effects on the bikes performance,
      such as back firing, less mph, carborator problems, etc??
      Thanks for the help!!
      David

      tatriumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Guy" <goodnuph@...>
      wrote:

      > Happy New Year
      > I use a 7/8 concrete drill bit-it's about 2 ft long and will go
      thru
      > the baffles easily--take off the pipes and do both ends it'll have
      > nice old school raspy sound
      >
      > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "David"
      > <moulin6801@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey there, I have a 1999 T.Thunderbird Sport and I would like to
      do
      > > something about the original pipes.
      > > Did you ever drilled yours??? How did it come out??
      > > Thanks
      > > David
      > >
      > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jcatbert45

      > few
      > > >
      > > > Get a drill bit exension, should be less than 10 bucks at Home
      > Depot.

    • Niles Reichardt
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2008
        David-
        It means just the muffler, not the exhaust pipes. There should be
        no tuning issues, but you may well notice the "popping on
        deceleration" more with the increase in volume. Many folks make an
        adjustment on the idle mixture by drilling out the EPA ("dork") plugs
        on the underside of each carb and richening the idle mixture by
        setting the now exposed screws out to around 3 1/2 turns from closed.
        This helps reduce the popping, but doesn't seem to effect mpg, or
        performance.

        Hope that helps.

        wrote:

        > Happy New Year
        > I use a 7/8 concrete drill bit-it's about 2 ft long and will go
        thru
        > the baffles easily--take off the pipes and do both ends it'll have
        > nice old school raspy sound
        >
        > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "David"
        > <moulin6801@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey there, I have a 1999 T.Thunderbird Sport and I would like to
        do
        > > something about the original pipes.
        > > Did you ever drilled yours??? How did it come out??
        > > Thanks
        > > David
        > >
        > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, jcatbert45

        > few
        > > >
        > > > Get a drill bit exension, should be less than 10 bucks at Home
        > Depot.

        Niles Reichardt, DVM
        Laboratory Information Systems Manager
        Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab
        (509) 335-2409
        nlr@...

      • Guy
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 10, 2008
          Hi
          I meant to say the mufflers-they have double 2 baffle plates in them

          guy
          <moulin6801@...> wrote:

          > Guy, when you say "take off the pipes and do both ends " do you
          mean
          > taken the pipe totally off the bike or just the slip on part( 1/2
          of
          > the pipe)??
          > By the way, did you have any side effects on the bikes performance,
          > such as back firing, less mph, carborator problems, etc??
          > Thanks for the help!!
          > David
          >

          > tatriumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Guy" <goodnuph@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Happy New Year
          > > I use a 7/8 concrete drill bit-it's about 2 ft long and will go
          > thru
          > > the baffles easily--take off the pipes and do both ends it'll
          have
          > > nice old school raspy sound
          > >
          > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "David"
          > > <moulin6801@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hey there, I have a 1999 T.Thunderbird Sport and I would like
          > do
          > > > something about the original pipes.
          > > > Did you ever drilled yours??? How did it come out??
          > > > Thanks
          > > > David
          > > >
          > > > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com,
          jcatbert45

          > > few
          > back

          > > Depot.

        • Craig Weidler
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2008
            Here's a page with description of the drilling:

            http://www.audioworld.net/triumph/Tech/pipes.htm

            Craig

            There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and
            the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
            Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

          • David Moulin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12, 2008
              Hey Craig, Thanks for the info!!!