RE: [T TBS R] 4.5 rpm to make 70mph ! Does it seen right to you??

  • Chris Griffin
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
      You can run these at 6000 rpm all day long without breaking a sweat. You
      need to be up near 8-9k to even start flogging the triplets.

      After a while you'll get used to 4500 rpm feeling like low revs--almost time
      to downshift!

      That's a bit of an overstatement but not much--especially if you're rolling
      on it in the twisties.

      Grif

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
        > I always "worry" about it revving too high to get decent speed
        > out of it, but I'm comfortable up to 80-85 MPH over longer spans.

        Don't worry too much about it, Norm.

        When I had the LegendTT I got pissed off at the Nova Scotia Triumph
        dealer (he told me he couldn't possibly get me in for the 12k check,
        which is basically an oil change, in any less than 4 business days).
        It was Thursday morning and I was in Atigonish, Nova Scotia when he
        told me that. By Thursday afternoon I was relaxing in my hotel room a
        few miles north of Ellsworth, Maine. Did a lot of it at an indicated
        110mph in the TBS equivalent of 5th gear... :)
      • Norm Bour
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1, 2008
          Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits- yet...

          > I always "worry" about it revving too high to get decent speed
          > out of it, but I'm comfortable up to 80-85 MPH over longer spans.

          Don't worry too much about it, Norm.

          When I had the LegendTT I got pissed off at the Nova Scotia Triumph
          dealer (he told me he couldn't possibly get me in for the 12k check,
          which is basically an oil change, in any less than 4 business days).
          It was Thursday morning and I was in Atigonish, Nova Scotia when he
          told me that. By Thursday afternoon I was relaxing in my hotel room a
          few miles north of Ellsworth, Maine. Did a lot of it at an indicated
          110mph in the TBS equivalent of 5th gear... :)

        • Wayne Baker
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
            I have had my 98 TBS up to 125 then lost my nerve (our roads here in
            Alaska can have some rough patches) I also have pulled some pretty steep
            hills at around 110 nothing like blasting around motor homes at high
            speed...

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
              > Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits- yet...

              As best I can tell, a TBS, on a level road, with offroads and a
              relatively upright rider on it, runs completely out of steam at about
              130mph.
            • Bill Bill
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                I've done 110 mph but don't tell my wife
                --- Wayne Baker <connorblk@...> wrote:

                > I have had my 98 TBS up to 125 then lost my nerve
                > (our roads here in
                > Alaska can have some rough patches) I also have
                > pulled some pretty steep
                > hills at around 110 nothing like blasting around
                > motor homes at high
                > speed...
                >
                > --- Norm Bour <normb1@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits-
                > yet...

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • TERRY GINN ADVERTISING
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                  These are great bikes for the long haul at higher speeds.... 100-115 with no strain on the engine... depending upon your set up... IE Windshield, Saddle bags 115-120 the ride may be a bit unstable as the wind eddies around the bike...

                  Jetted and clean (not wind shield or bags; wind screen) She'll top 140... but I do not recommend it unless you are a very experienced rider... pot holes, rocks,crap on the road can take you down quicker than....

                  Look for a few bike events in your area and if they are held at a track... It can be an a amazing ride on a a race way... Bring the proper gear (or purchase while you are there), there are a few that offer lessons for sport riders; beginners, experience, advanced...

                  back to the basics 85-100 these bikes will run fine... The TBS (6 speed) will run at a slightly lower RPM than the Adventurer (5 speed).... Note: I do not recommend riding distances over 100... our road ways have to much crap on them in the US.... Now if you are traveling out west....

                  Taking a riders course local; I highly recommend, from the beginners to intermediate... Our bikes have a higher center, if you can master the curves (at slower speeds) on a tripple....

                  Have a great New Year!

                  Terry Ginn
                  2001 Adventurer
                  Kent, Ohio

                  Bill Bill <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:
                  I've done 110 mph but don't tell my wife
                  --- Wayne Baker <connorblk@...> wrote:

                  > I have had my 98 TBS up to 125 then lost my nerve
                  > (our roads here in
                  > Alaska can have some rough patches) I also have
                  > pulled some pretty steep
                  > hills at around 110 nothing like blasting around
                  > motor homes at high
                  > speed...
                  >
                  > --- Norm Bour <normb1@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits-
                  > yet...

                • David
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                    100-120 mph correct!? NOT km/h !?? It is hard to believe... What
                    are the RPM when given 110mph + on this bike?? I guess I am just
                    not riding on bikes that keeping hight RPM is ok.
                    Thanks
                    David

                    > These are great bikes for the long haul at higher speeds.... 100-
                    115 with no strain on the engine... depending upon your set up... IE
                    Windshield, Saddle bags 115-120 the ride may be a bit unstable as
                    the wind eddies around the bike...

                    > Jetted and clean (not wind shield or bags; wind screen) She'll
                    top 140... but I do not recommend it unless you are a very
                    experienced rider... pot holes, rocks,crap on the road can take you
                    down quicker than....

                    > Look for a few bike events in your area and if they are held at
                    a track... It can be an a amazing ride on a a race way... Bring
                    the proper gear (or purchase while you are there), there are a few
                    that offer lessons for sport riders; beginners, experience,
                    advanced...

                    > back to the basics 85-100 these bikes will run fine... The TBS
                    (6 speed) will run at a slightly lower RPM than the Adventurer (5
                    speed).... Note: I do not recommend riding distances over 100... our
                    road ways have to much crap on them in the US.... Now if you are
                    traveling out west....

                    > Taking a riders course local; I highly recommend, from the
                    beginners to intermediate... Our bikes have a higher center, if you
                    can master the curves (at slower speeds) on a tripple....

                    > Have a great New Year!
                    >
                    > Terry Ginn
                    > 2001 Adventurer
                    > Kent, Ohio
                    >

                    > Bill Bill <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:
                    > I've done 110 mph but don't tell my wife
                    > --- Wayne Baker <connorblk@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have had my 98 TBS up to 125 then lost my nerve
                    > > (our roads here in
                    > > Alaska can have some rough patches) I also have
                    > > pulled some pretty steep
                    > > hills at around 110 nothing like blasting around
                    > > motor homes at high
                    > > speed...
                    > >
                    > > --- Norm Bour <normb1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits-
                    > > yet...

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Thanks guys!! You are helping me feel a lot better about it!

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
                      Griffin" <chris@...> wrote:

                      > You can run these at 6000 rpm all day long without breaking a
                      sweat. You
                      > need to be up near 8-9k to even start flogging the triplets.
                      >
                      > After a while you'll get used to 4500 rpm feeling like low revs--
                      almost time
                      > to downshift!
                      >
                      > That's a bit of an overstatement but not much--especially if
                      you're rolling
                      > on it in the twisties.
                      >

                      > Grif
                      >

                      > From: triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com

                    • Guy
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                        I've replaced the 17 tooth drive sprocket with an 18 tooth and have
                        reached 140 with it-i had a little left in the rpm area of tach but not
                        enough road to tell for sure.

                        Guy

                        --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, petermholmes
                        <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > > Jeez, Louise, I haven't hit the triple digits- yet...
                        >
                        > As best I can tell, a TBS, on a level road, with offroads and a
                        > relatively upright rider on it, runs completely out of steam at about
                        > 130mph.

                      • Mo
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                          <coughcoughBullshitcoughcough>

                          Guy <goodnuph@...> wrote: I've replaced the 17 tooth drive sprocket with an 18 tooth and have

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                            > <coughcoughBullshitcoughcough>

                            LOL. So Mo, out of curiosity, what are you seeing for top speed on yours?
                          • Mo
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                              I don't have the TBS anymore, but I hit an indicated 110 and climbing, but that took quite a while and its acceleration at that speed was nil. I've got an sprint now which is still pulling hard at 135+...

                              You??

                              petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > <coughcoughBullshitcoughcough>

                              LOL. So Mo, out of curiosity, what are you seeing for top speed on yours?

                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                                > I don't have the TBS anymore, but I hit an indicated 110 and
                                climbing, but that took quite a while and its acceleration at that
                                speed was nil. I've got an sprint now which is still pulling hard at
                                135+...

                                > You??

                                In my experience they're pretty quick up to about 100, but by 115
                                you're struggling to get acceleration in 6th. My 130 is with me
                                leaned partially over, on the Thruway, along the Mohawk where it's
                                extremely level and you've got nice looooooong straights and very
                                shallow curves.
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                                  > I've got an sprint now which is still pulling hard at 135+...

                                  Sprints are really nice bikes. I got my hands on one (an RS) once, as
                                  a loaner when the TBS was in for service. I don't know how fast they
                                  can go, but 140 is flat out easy on those things. What a rush!
                                • Bill Bill
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 2, 2008
                                    hey Peter, have you ever ridden a speed triple? I'm just curious how well those bikes perform. I have never been 140 mph on a bike. I must be chicken. i think the fastest I've been is 118 or so.

                                    petermholmes <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > I've got an sprint now which is still pulling hard at 135+...

                                    Sprints are really nice bikes. I got my hands on one (an RS) once, as
                                    a loaner when the TBS was in for service. I don't know how fast they
                                    can go, but 140 is flat out easy on those things. What a rush!

                                  • Robert
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "David"
                                      <moulin6801@...> wrote:
                                      > Bounced the rev limiter in 6th at an indicated 135mph. What a
                                      Ride..99TBS...off road pipes stock jetting.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                                        > hey Peter, have you ever ridden a speed triple?

                                        Nope, but I'd bet they're a ton of fun. :)
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 3, 2008
                                          Yep, more like 1.45 Tons of Fun!!

                                          --On January 4, 2008 5:13:29 AM +0000 petermholmes

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                                            Has anyone rented a Triumph in Las Vegas?

                                            Heading to Las Vegas on the 14th... I've found several places renting Harley's but if there is a dealer renting Triumph III that would be great... has anyone rented a Triumph in Vegas?

                                            Thanks in advance,

                                            Terry Ginn
                                            2001 Adventurer
                                            Kent, Ohio

                                          • Norm Bour
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                                              I had a buddy that rented a Yamaha out there two years ago. I think it was
                                              part of the "Sports Rider" chain where you can rent sports bikes, but I've
                                              not seen anyone renting Triumphs.

                                              alohanorm

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 4, 2008
                                                my budz call me crazy but i've done 140+ on 2 ocasions
                                                I was great--once was with a bunch of squids on the Belt park way
                                                around Brooklyn, N.Y.
                                                the other was on the Grand Central Parkway late at night coming from
                                                Brooklyn to queens following a stealth black Ferrari---we were doing
                                                135mph at time--then we accelerated to 140+---then he downshifted
                                                and left me like my bike stopped.
                                                Now that was fun for me.
                                                but usaully i don't drive faster than my heart can beat which is
                                                around 80-90 normally-since I'm anemic

                                                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Denny
                                                <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

                                                > Yep, more like 1.45 Tons of Fun!!
                                                >
                                                > --On January 4, 2008 5:13:29 AM +0000 petermholmes
                                                > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > >> hey Peter, have you ever ridden a speed triple?
                                                > >
                                                > > Nope, but I'd bet they're a ton of fun. :)
                                                > >

                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Denny

                                              • Bill Bill
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 7, 2008
                                                  140 on a tbs? wow. I'd like to know about your mods. NOt sure i want to go that fast but it would be cool to know i have the capability. :)

                                                  Guy <goodnuph@...> wrote: my budz call me crazy but i've done 140+ on 2 ocasions

                                                  <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:

                                                  > Yep, more like 1.45 Tons of Fun!!
                                                  >
                                                  > --On January 4, 2008 5:13:29 AM +0000 petermholmes
                                                  > <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >> hey Peter, have you ever ridden a speed triple?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Nope, but I'd bet they're a ton of fun. :)
                                                  > >

                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  > Denny

                                                • Bill Bill
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 8, 2008
                                                    just realized the discussion was about top speeds in
                                                    general, not just on a TBS. Sorry, brain is not
                                                    functioning correctly.

                                                    --- Bill Bill <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:

                                                    > 140 on a tbs? wow. I'd like to know about your
                                                    > mods. NOt sure i want to go that fast but it would
                                                    > be cool to know i have the capability. :)
                                                    >
                                                    > Guy <goodnuph@...> wrote:
                                                    > my budz call me crazy but i've done 140+ on 2
                                                    > ocasions
                                                    > I was great--once was with a bunch of squids on the
                                                    > Belt park way
                                                    > around Brooklyn, N.Y.
                                                    > the other was on the Grand Central Parkway late at
                                                    > night coming from
                                                    > Brooklyn to queens following a stealth black
                                                    > Ferrari---we were doing
                                                    > 135mph at time--then we accelerated to 140+---then
                                                    > he downshifted
                                                    > and left me like my bike stopped.
                                                    > Now that was fun for me.
                                                    > but usaully i don't drive faster than my heart can
                                                    > beat which is
                                                    > around 80-90 normally-since I'm anemic
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In
                                                    > triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Denny
                                                    >
                                                    > <dennyhenderson@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Yep, more like 1.45 Tons of Fun!!
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --On January 4, 2008 5:13:29 AM +0000
                                                    > petermholmes

                                                    > triple?
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Nope, but I'd bet they're a ton of fun. :)
                                                    > > >

                                                    > > Thanks,
                                                    > > Denny

                                                    > removed]

                                                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                                  • Guy
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 10, 2008
                                                      hi
                                                      a larger drive sprocket and drilled pipes on 93 octane gas K&N
                                                      airfilter
                                                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bill

                                                      ______________
                                                      > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                                    • whirling person
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 18, 2008
                                                        <moulin6801@...> wrote:

                                                        > 100-120 mph correct!? NOT km/h !?? It is hard to believe... What
                                                        > are the RPM when given 110mph + on this bike?? I guess I am just
                                                        > not riding on bikes that keeping hight RPM is ok.
                                                        > Thanks
                                                        > David

                                                        David- I've got an 03 with TORs, but otherwise stock. I'm usually
                                                        only around 6-7k in 5th breaking 100mph. The powerband is at like
                                                        7200 (iirc?) on these bikes, thats very much ok. :)

                                                        I've pushed it to 115 and the bike has lots more in it I can tell, no
                                                        problem. The mountain roads in Western Washington give you lots of
                                                        places to open it up, and lean over in a long turn at 95+, and when
                                                        you come out of those. . . yeah. . .keep your chest on the tank when
                                                        you open her up. ;)

                                                        Man, I can't wait for spring.

                                                        > > These are great bikes for the long haul at higher speeds.... 100-
                                                        > 115 with no strain on the engine... depending upon your set up... IE
                                                        > Windshield, Saddle bags 115-120 the ride may be a bit unstable as
                                                        > the wind eddies around the bike...
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Jetted and clean (not wind shield or bags; wind screen) She'll
                                                        > top 140... but I do not recommend it unless you are a very
                                                        > experienced rider... pot holes, rocks,crap on the road can take you
                                                        > down quicker than....
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Look for a few bike events in your area and if they are held at
                                                        > a track... It can be an a amazing ride on a a race way... Bring
                                                        > the proper gear (or purchase while you are there), there are a few
                                                        > that offer lessons for sport riders; beginners, experience,
                                                        > advanced...
                                                        > >
                                                        > > back to the basics 85-100 these bikes will run fine... The TBS
                                                        > (6 speed) will run at a slightly lower RPM than the Adventurer (5
                                                        > speed).... Note: I do not recommend riding distances over 100... our
                                                        > road ways have to much crap on them in the US.... Now if you are
                                                        > traveling out west....
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Taking a riders course local; I highly recommend, from the
                                                        > beginners to intermediate... Our bikes have a higher center, if you
                                                        > can master the curves (at slower speeds) on a tripple....
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Have a great New Year!
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Terry Ginn
                                                        > > 2001 Adventurer
                                                        > > Kent, Ohio
                                                        > >

                                                        > > Bill Bill <atlantajaguarfan@> wrote:
                                                        > > I've done 110 mph but don't tell my wife
                                                        > > --- Wayne Baker <connorblk@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > > I have had my 98 TBS up to 125 then lost my nerve
                                                        > > > (our roads here in
                                                        > > > Alaska can have some rough patches) I also have
                                                        > > > pulled some pretty steep
                                                        > > > hills at around 110 nothing like blasting around
                                                        > > > motor homes at high
                                                        > > > speed...

                                                        > > > yet...

                                                      • Guy
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 21, 2008
                                                          AS FAR AS LONG DISTANCE HI SPEED RUNNING, these bikes are built
                                                          mostly for those euro autobahn/autostradas and whatever they call
                                                          them over there.
                                                          I've traveled over 300 miles at around 85 -115 the whole ride only
                                                          stopping every 100 miles for gatoreade, gas,and body functions.
                                                          THESE MOTORS ARE OVERBUILT AND UNDERUTILIZED.
                                                          just like the old UJMS of the late 70" to 90's before they became
                                                          specialized machine.

                                                          Guy

                                                          --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "whirling