adhesive for tank pad

  • atlantajaguarfan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hey guys, I just ordered and received a Triumph black rubber tank pad for my TBS. Haven't
      even taken it out of the package yet. My question is what kind of glue/adhesive should I use
      to put it on my tank? Dumb question I know. But just want to do it the right way. Thanks, Bill
    • tbsbiker2
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
        Bill,

        I can tell you how I mounted rubber knee pads on my classic Triumph, I
        used a black RTV silicone. Clean the tank area with a paint friendly
        cleaner to get all grease and wax off...then apply a thin bead of
        sealer around the outside edges and a few thin lines in the center
        areas so everything sticks down. Key is to keep it off the edges by
        1/4 inch or so so you dont end up sqeezing a bunch beyond the outside
        edges (you can clean that up VERY carefully once dry if you spots that
        leakout). you don't need alot of sealer! Also I used some masking tape
        to indicate a top and side reference point so when I put it down I had
        a guide to follow.

        Some of the others may have a different method. Mine have been on my
        Trophy for over 2 years now with no signs of comming off or lifting.

        Peter
        2000 TBS
        1970 TR6R
        1972 Combat Commando
        -- In
        triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "atlantajaguarfan"
        <atlantajaguarfan@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, I just ordered and received a Triumph black rubber tank
        pad for my TBS. Haven't
        > even taken it out of the package yet. My question is what kind of
        glue/adhesive should I use
        > to put it on my tank? Dumb question I know. But just want to do it
        the right way. Thanks, Bill

      • Bill Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
          hey Peter, that's just the information I was looking
          for. Thanks very much. I really appreciate it. Bill
          1998 TBS Sport

        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2007
            When I bought my Triumph pads, they had a peel and stick back. Just
            peel off the paper and push in place. If yours are in a blue Triumph
            shrink wrapped package they should be ready to install.
            John