Alternator Swap

  • Phil Davison
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2007
      Does anyone know if the 25 amp alternator on the TBS can be replaced
      with the 40 amp one off the 1200 cc (Trophy) engine?

      Phil
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2007
        Obviously we don't know. Try Kevin at Baxter Cycle
        (http://www.baxtercycle.com/). He probably knows.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
          If you find an answer to this, I'd also be interested in the answer.

          I suspect that it will work, but have not tried it so I have no answer for
          you.

          --On October 25, 2007 3:54:39 PM +0000 Phil Davison
          <the.rallier@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know if the 25 amp alternator on the TBS can be replaced
          > with the 40 amp one off the 1200 cc (Trophy) engine?
          >
          > Phil

        • Gary L. Gavin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
            A look at the part numbers at www.BikeBandit.com
            <http://www.bikebandit.com/> reveals that there are two serial number
            series for the 1200 4 cylinder and 885 3 cylinder. It's the regulator
            assembly that is 25 amp or 40 amp. The 25 amp regulator fits the alternator
            that's in the TBS and most likely many other T3 bikes. The 40 amp is listed
            as fitting a different alternator on the 4 cylinder. In addition there is a
            third alternator for a different serial number series of the 885 3 cylinder
            Trophy.

            It seems to me that a visit to
            http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/ might clear things up.
            My quick search indicates that the engine cases changed with the 40 amp
            upgrade for the 1200 around the same time the TBS came out making it
            unlikely that the higher rated alternator will fit the TBS.

            So, maybe the regulator can be switched?

            00 Tiger

            07 Mini Cooper S

            85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)

            Oahu, Hawaii

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2007
              I checked the O ring that goes on the alternator.
              For TBS and Trophy, they are all the same so that would indicate to me
              there is very good probability that the alternators would be interchangeable

              --On October 31, 2007 8:56:17 AM -1000 "Gary L. Gavin"