Saga of tripple firing on two....

  • Terrence Ginn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2007
      Advice..

      2001 Adventurer that looses a cylinder (firing). then regains a cylinder
      (firing).

      For two days and 350 miles the bike ran primarily on two cylinders, many
      backfires, a few stalls. during that time, I replaced all the Plugs,
      cleaned and brushed the wire connections, to the plugs, coils.. Used a full
      can of Sea Foam, and one bottle of carb cleaner to clean carbs, Octane
      booster (over 4 tanks of fuel). plugged and unplugged much of my wiring.
      still ran poorly kicked in and out of 2-3 cylinders on my trip, Fri-Sat.
      I have put 5,000 miles on the Adventurer this year. She has not set idle.

      Sunday, started he up. All 3 were FIRING! Running Strong! Working fine. some
      blue smoke(when cylinder kicked in).. off I went. 150 Miles no problems, 5
      stops. Monday. back to two cylinders.

      Contacted Harding Park Cycle, they can not bench test and IC Igniter. I
      have to give them the bike. They are booked Nov 20th.

      Question/Help/Suggestions:

      I called Nology and they will walk me through checking Coils, since they are
      1.5 yrs old they do not believe it is the coils with my description of my
      problem.

      Can an Igniter be bench tested?

      Should I replace Plug wires? Any other wires? Harding is $50 and hour,
      there Igniter is $800, I found a New one on Line for $650. but I do now wish
      to waste the money if that is not the problem..

      If I can by a used Igniter for $50 or less I will do it just to have on hand
      even if it is not a problem.

      I do love the Adventurer when she is running strong. and it is amazing it
      performance with two cylinders firing.

      Question: can I do major damage the engine if I continue to run the bike
      as it kicks in and out of 2-3 cylinders firing?

      I am open to suggestions and options.

      Thanks in advance,

      Terry Ginn 2001 Adventurer

      Kent Ohio

      RAT

    • cpallenjr
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2007
        Terry, Assuming that this is an electrical problem, I would guess that
        firing on two cylinders wouldn't be a good thing primarily because
        unburned gas in the inopertive cylinder would wash the lubricating oil
        off of the cylinder walls resulting in scored cylinders and rings.

        After an episode of misfiring can you identify the malfunctioning
        cylinder from a cold exhaust header pipe? Could you then pull the plug
        and see if it is wet? This might narrow it down to fuel or electrical.
        If seemingly electrical you could then swap the coil/plug/plug wire to
        see if the problem moves to another cylinder.

        Baxter Cycle might have the used parts you need.

        Good luck!
        Courtney in Seattle