starter; battery; oil; etc

  • dleinheardt
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2007
      A few queries re '00 TBS:

      • My starter seems to be on its way out: occasionally the bike does
      absolutely nothing but a 'click' sound when I press starter
      button (battery fully charged, all instrument lights and headlamp
      strong, etc)... but if I 'agitate' the bike by rocking it back and
      forth in gear a couple times it will then start up without hesitation.
      Have checked solenoid and seems to be fine.. an experienced
      rider/friend suggested the starter is likely going... which seems
      unusual for a bike with only 14K miles. Has anyone else had this
      happen?

      • I see the recommended battery in our database is Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS.
      Is there consensus that this is the best battery for the TBS? I'm
      finding batteries are not lasting me more than two seasons, even with
      removing battery and hooking it up to battery tender over the winter
      (I'm in NY). Any advice re maintenance/care is appreciated.

      • And what have you all found to be best oil for the TBS?

      • Can someone confirm that the white paint on the white/tangerine '00
      TBS is Triumph's 'opal white'? And a recommendation as to best place
      to buy touch-up paint? Dealer? Bikebandit.com?

      • Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been suggested
      to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front around
      28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)

      Thanks much..

      DL
    • Mo

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 18, 2007
          I've always kept my tire pressure are 36 Front/42 Rear on both the TBS and
          Tiger, as recommended in the owners manual and by the tire manufacturer.

          00 Tiger

          07 Mini Cooper S

          85 Ron Cooper (bicycle)

          Oahu, Hawaii

          . Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been suggested
          to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front around
          28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)

        • Todd Luchette
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 18, 2007
            Wow, I'm wondering who suggested this?

            When my bike's handling feels a bit sketchy, I know the pressure in
            the tires are low. I've never gotten down as low as 26psi in the
            rear, but based on how the bike feels around the low 30s, I can only
            imagine how bad it would feel at 26psi.

            Todd
            '98tbs

            On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:25 AM, dleinheardt wrote:

            > � Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been suggested
            > to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front around
            > 28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)

            "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
            signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
            not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
            President Dwight D. Eisenhower
            April 16, 1953

          • kc10a_chief
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 18, 2007
              DL,

              Like others, I would suggest looking for loose connections before
              replacing the starter. The YTX battery is a maintenance-free battery
              and will far out last the regular YB battery.

              Without starting another oil debate, it's MY opinion the Triumph oil
              is very good but any synthetic motorcycle oil will be just fine.

              The white paint for the '00 is opal white and you can get a touch up
              kit from Triumph for approx. $18.21; P/N: T3120300-NF. It's currently
              out of stock but due in again next week.

              I also agree with others, 26 psi is way too low for the rear tire. I
              recommend keeping them between 40-42 for the rear and 34-36 for the
              front.

              Hope this helps,
              Steve C.
              99 TBS

              --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "dleinheardt"
              <dlrock@...> wrote:

              > A few queries re '00 TBS:
              >
              > • My starter seems to be on its way out: occasionally the bike does
              > absolutely nothing but a 'click' sound when I press starter
              > button (battery fully charged, all instrument lights and headlamp
              > strong, etc)... but if I 'agitate' the bike by rocking it back and
              > forth in gear a couple times it will then start up without
              hesitation.
              > Have checked solenoid and seems to be fine.. an experienced
              > rider/friend suggested the starter is likely going... which seems
              > unusual for a bike with only 14K miles. Has anyone else had this
              > happen?
              >
              > • I see the recommended battery in our database is Yuasa YTX14AHL-
              BS.
              > Is there consensus that this is the best battery for the TBS? I'm
              > finding batteries are not lasting me more than two seasons, even
              with
              > removing battery and hooking it up to battery tender over the winter
              > (I'm in NY). Any advice re maintenance/care is appreciated.
              >
              > • And what have you all found to be best oil for the TBS?
              >
              > • Can someone confirm that the white paint on the
              white/tangerine '00
              > TBS is Triumph's 'opal white'? And a recommendation as to best
              place
              > to buy touch-up paint? Dealer? Bikebandit.com?
              >
              > • Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been
              suggested
              > to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front
              around
              > 28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)
              >
              > Thanks much..
              >
              > DL

            • Guy
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 18, 2007
                As far as tire pressure i'd stick wih the highenst recommended from
                the manufacterers--i read that touring bikes have even higher
                pressure settings--
                Now for the starter/relay--that's going to be expensive -starter from
                triumph-apprx $700-relay a poss $100. and at $75per hr -it's a lotta
                $$$$--good luck with that--I speak from experiance----Guy
                --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, kc10a_chief
                <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > DL,
                >
                > Like others, I would suggest looking for loose connections before
                > replacing the starter. The YTX battery is a maintenance-free
                battery
                > and will far out last the regular YB battery.
                >
                > Without starting another oil debate, it's MY opinion the Triumph
                oil
                > is very good but any synthetic motorcycle oil will be just fine.
                >
                > The white paint for the '00 is opal white and you can get a touch
                up
                > kit from Triumph for approx. $18.21; P/N: T3120300-NF. It's
                currently
                > out of stock but due in again next week.
                >
                > I also agree with others, 26 psi is way too low for the rear tire.
                > recommend keeping them between 40-42 for the rear and 34-36 for the
                > front.
                >
                > Hope this helps,
                > Steve C.
                > 99 TBS
                >
                > --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, "dleinheardt"
                > <dlrock@> wrote:
                > >
                > > A few queries re '00 TBS:
                > >
                > > • My starter seems to be on its way out: occasionally the bike
                does
                > > absolutely nothing but a 'click' sound when I press starter
                > > button (battery fully charged, all instrument lights and headlamp
                > > strong, etc)... but if I 'agitate' the bike by rocking it back
                and
                > > forth in gear a couple times it will then start up without
                > hesitation.
                > > Have checked solenoid and seems to be fine.. an experienced
                > > rider/friend suggested the starter is likely going... which seems
                > > unusual for a bike with only 14K miles. Has anyone else had this
                > > happen?
                > >
                > > • I see the recommended battery in our database is Yuasa YTX14AHL-
                > BS.
                > > Is there consensus that this is the best battery for the TBS?
                I'm
                > > finding batteries are not lasting me more than two seasons, even
                > with
                > > removing battery and hooking it up to battery tender over the
                winter
                > > (I'm in NY). Any advice re maintenance/care is appreciated.
                > >
                > > • And what have you all found to be best oil for the TBS?
                > >
                > > • Can someone confirm that the white paint on the
                > white/tangerine '00
                > > TBS is Triumph's 'opal white'? And a recommendation as to best
                > place
                > > to buy touch-up paint? Dealer? Bikebandit.com?
                > >
                > > • Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been
                > suggested
                > > to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front
                > around
                > > 28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)
                > >
                > > Thanks much..
                > >
                > > DL

              • KEITH REGELIN
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                  On the TBS, tire pressure is paramount. I used to run less than the recommended 36 psi front, 42 psi rear, thinking it would help traction. NOT. Run the recommenede pressure. Keith 98 TBS 36K mi.

                  When my bike's handling feels a bit sketchy, I know the pressure in
                  the tires are low. I've never gotten down as low as 26psi in the
                  rear, but based on how the bike feels around the low 30s, I can only
                  imagine how bad it would feel at 26psi.

                  Todd
                  '98tbs

                  On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:25 AM, dleinheardt wrote:

                  > • Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been suggested
                  > to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front around
                  > 28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)

                  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
                  signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
                  not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
                  President Dwight D. Eisenhower
                  April 16, 1953

                • TERRY GINN ADVERTISING
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                    Looking for a reasonably priced 'Brighter' Lamp for my TBS Adventurer... any suggestions?

                    Terry
                    2001 Adventurer
                    Kent, Ohio

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                      If I remember corectly I put these in:

                      http://cgi.ebay.ca/MOTORCYCLE-XENON-HID-LIGHT-BULBS-THE-REAL-DEAL-ON-
                      EBAY_W0QQitemZ290162762195QQihZ019QQcategoryZ35557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
                      dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                      Approx $10 each to your door.

                      --- In triumphthunderbirdsportriders@yahoogroups.com, TERRY GINN
                      ADVERTISING <tginnadv@...> wrote:

                      > Looking for a reasonably priced 'Brighter' Lamp for my TBS
                      Adventurer... any suggestions?

                      > Terry
                      > 2001 Adventurer
                      > Kent, Ohio

                    • south_texas_polar_bear
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 22, 2007
                        My original set of tires on my TBS were ruined by running the tire
                        pressure too low, the Avons became square as boxcars in less than
                        6000 miles...

                        <dlrock@...> wrote:

                        > A few queries re '00 TBS:
                        >
                        > • My starter seems to be on its way out: occasionally the bike
                        does
                        > absolutely nothing but a 'click' sound when I press starter
                        > button (battery fully charged, all instrument lights and headlamp
                        > strong, etc)... but if I 'agitate' the bike by rocking it back and
                        > forth in gear a couple times it will then start up without
                        hesitation.
                        > Have checked solenoid and seems to be fine.. an experienced
                        > rider/friend suggested the starter is likely going... which seems
                        > unusual for a bike with only 14K miles. Has anyone else had this
                        > happen?
                        >
                        > • I see the recommended battery in our database is Yuasa YTX14AHL-
                        BS.
                        > Is there consensus that this is the best battery for the TBS? I'm
                        > finding batteries are not lasting me more than two seasons, even
                        with
                        > removing battery and hooking it up to battery tender over the
                        winter
                        > (I'm in NY). Any advice re maintenance/care is appreciated.
                        >
                        > • And what have you all found to be best oil for the TBS?
                        >
                        > • Can someone confirm that the white paint on the
                        white/tangerine '00
                        > TBS is Triumph's 'opal white'? And a recommendation as to best
                        place
                        > to buy touch-up paint? Dealer? Bikebandit.com?
                        >
                        > • Would appreciate some wisdom re tire pressure -- it's been
                        suggested
                        > to me for best handling is to keep rear around 26 psi and front
                        around
                        > 28 psi (though my Dunlop SPortmaster have max of 42..)
                        >
                        > Thanks much..
                        >
                        > DL

                      • Guy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 28, 2007
                          I replaced my bulb with a sylvania frm Wal-Mart, or pep boys-they
                          have diff types so just read the box and see--even a regular auto
                          sealed beam will fit. it's a regular 7 in bulb --bewaer of the
                          brighter bulbs, they will pull more juice and could prob burnout the
                          loom
                          Guy
                          y2kTBS
                          '78 GS750E 'zuki